All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
PlatypusMeowMeow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorde

Post by PlatypusMeowMeow » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi all.

I think many parents whose child seems ADHD deny it until the point whereby the child suffers, thinking that if they live in denial, the child will recover on his own. Sometimes they do not send the child for diagnosis and it's very hard. When I was young, I displayed ADHD symptons but I was never sent for diagnosis. My teachers couldn't understand me. Now my bro has been diagnosed and is taking Ritalin. I myself am better now but the symptons will never dissapear.

PlatypusMeowMeow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by PlatypusMeowMeow » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi all.

I think many parents whose child seems ADHD deny it until the point whereby the child suffers, thinking that if they live in denial, the child will recover on his own. Sometimes they do not send the child for diagnosis and it's very hard. When I was young, I displayed ADHD symptons but I was never sent for diagnosis. My teachers couldn't understand me. Now my bro has been diagnosed and is taking Ritalin. I myself am better now but the symptons will never dissapear.

ycted
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:1

Post by ycted » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:25 pm

jojowee wrote:Hi,anyone is giving your child with Adhd medications like Ritalin,concerta or strattera? kindly share the views of side effects after taking them thank you.
Hi, my son was reccently diagnosed with ADHD and has been taking both fish oils and ritalin since the beginning of the month, when the new term started.
The first week, he had frequent tummy ache in the mornings, and his appetite at lunch time was noticably affected. But by dinner time his appetite is back to normal.

The drugs are efficacious - teachers say he is noticably better able to concentrate in school , the unfortunate thing is that by the time it's evening the medicine has worn off and it's back to the same old problems when he's trying to finish his homework - a chronic inability to concnetrate (even when I'm sitting right beside him and breathing down his neck!), truly horrendous handwriting and great difficulty writing fast or being able to space his writing and answers, incessant fidgeting.

ycted
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ycted » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:30 pm

The thing is, I'm not sure where we go from here. My son has improved noticably after taking Ritalin, but still he struggles with tasks that other children ( or most of us, for that matter) take for granted. Small tasks such as packing a bag require such very great effort ( and a lot of pointless walking around the house), he is emotionally immature and flares up and cries at the slightest provocation ( he's in P5 now).
We haven't formally informed the school nor asked for any special dispensation for him at school yet, although I have talked to some of his teachers and they know he has been taking meds, not sure whether I should ? - he's sort of coping as it is, he's able to pass his subjects though of course he's not doing as well as I think he could. But in real life there will not be any special dispensations either......

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by e3nity » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 pm

I happen to come across this 2 types of medication recently.. wondering if its workable on ADD/ADHD/HDD kids..

http://www.nativeremedies.com/products/ ... smgrp=1822
http://www.nativeremedies.com/products/ ... rmula.html

Anyone tried this before??

Greenflowers
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Greenflowers » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:21 pm

hi ycted,

Thanks for sharing your experience. DS1 has been diagnosed as borderline ADHD by CGC, but I hesitate to start medication as I've read that Ritalin has potential side effects that can be serious. Would you be able to share how you came to decide to start medication? How does one weigh the risk of side effects vs the benefits of calming the kid down enough to do his schoolwork?

Sigh.

fifiyeo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by fifiyeo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 am

Check this out.
www.roc-n-ash.com
They have an ADHD home programme for kids.

Cathy Wu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Cathy Wu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is difficult to diagnose because it often shares or mimics the symptoms of other disorders.

Here are some characteristics:

difficulty sustaining attention
is easily distracted
often does not seem to listen
often does not complete activities
loses things
often interrupts or intrudes on others
has difficulty awaiting turn in groups
often blurts out answers to questions
often engages in physically dangerous activities
without considering the consequences
Talks excessively
has difficulty playing quietly
has difficulty remaining seated
often fidgets or squirms in seat
difficulty following instructions.

stayhome
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by stayhome » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 am

Greenflowers wrote:hi ycted,

Thanks for sharing your experience. DS1 has been diagnosed as borderline ADHD by CGC, but I hesitate to start medication as I've read that Ritalin has potential side effects that can be serious. Would you be able to share how you came to decide to start medication? How does one weigh the risk of side effects vs the benefits of calming the kid down enough to do his schoolwork?

Sigh.
My ds also diagnosed with mild ADHD, I never use the Ritalin as he still able to do well in school. in-fact he is in the top class. So if your ds can follow your guidance and no problem with school work. I personally think don't use the medicine. But if the other way, then you may have to consider using the medicine. As I saw other kids with more serious condition the medicine help in school work.

piggydwarfs
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by piggydwarfs » Sat May 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi hometutor,can pm me ur contact. Urgently looking for a home tutor my P2 gal.