Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Re: All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorde

Postby kitty2 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:27 pm

What is the name of your gel ? My Friend bought locally too but sure is the same

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:10 pm

kitty2 wrote:What is the name of your gel ? My Friend bought locally too but sure is the same

I have pm you.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51 am

Any feedback on concerta
Is it long q at imh child guidance clinic

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:56 am

What abt prozac

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:57 am

And does the child know he or she has adhd? Should we tell?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mylulaoshi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 am

24hr-mum wrote:And does the child know he or she has adhd? Should we tell?

I'm equally baffled. I guess the highlight is that child has serious behavioural and learning difficulties. Sometimes some kids, esp boys, more active/distracted. I think it's normal. Slow learner just take their time to learn, no need to go through therapy. But diagnosis might set your mind at ease. My boy is quite active but looks absolutely normal to me. I send him for diagnosis hopefully doctors will clear him as 'normal' so school will step up to manage him. Of course i also reinforce discipline at home lah. But apparently doctors are keen on 'labeling' him and advised intervention before diagnosis. So that teachers empathize and understand he has 'some problems' instead of judging him as 'naughty'. Quite sad to see that teachers now need reports to have empathy. Guess I should do some reflection as a teacher myself.

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:27 am

My boy has bn hvg issues eg figetg n hyper n easily distractd since young but in sec1 his signs r becoming too obvious to dismiss as jus being a boy or young boy. He was super addictd to handphone gaming whc resulted in neglect of health, studies, n rebelliousness n violence. Upon assessmt he was diagnosed w adhd.

The tell tale signs r
No sense of time absolutely
Eg 1 hr bef class he ask to go friend hse

Instant gratification...no regard for consequences..

Cant force himsf to focus on things boring but necessary

Need to fiddle with something when doing things he doesnt like

Hyperfocus on things that interest him

Impulsive...hits when angry....cannot control

At sec1 i can no longer say...oh he is stil young so he has no issues....

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:30 am

24hr-mum wrote:And does the child know he or she has adhd? Should we tell?

This depends on the age and maturity of the child. I have a daughter who has learning disabilities including ADD-like traits, but not ADHD), and I didn't tell her a "label" until she was about 13yo. Even then, I only told her in very broad terms. My aim was to increase her self-awareness so she realised that she was weak in those areas and would have to put in extra effort. Of course, I balanced it with telling her what I saw as her strong areas, so she didn't feel that everything was wrong with her. As she grew up, we explained more, and we hope that she accepts it as a part of herself (just as people have to accept that they are musical, athletic, detailed, sociable, reserved, clumsy etc).

When she was younger, I also did tell her that she was weaker in some areas compared to others, and worked with her to train herself, and devise ways to help her in class, at home etc. We focused on the behavioural aspects, and tried to strike a reasonable balance between asking her to try her best to change or control her behaviour, while also asking teachers (and ourselves too) to make some allowances for her.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:48 am

mylulaoshi wrote:I'm equally baffled. I guess the highlight is that child has serious behavioural and learning difficulties. Sometimes some kids, esp boys, more active/distracted. I think it's normal. Slow learner just take their time to learn, no need to go through therapy. But diagnosis might set your mind at ease. My boy is quite active but looks absolutely normal to me. I send him for diagnosis hopefully doctors will clear him as 'normal' so school will step up to manage him. Of course i also reinforce discipline at home lah. But apparently doctors are keen on 'labeling' him and advised intervention before diagnosis. So that teachers empathize and understand he has 'some problems' instead of judging him as 'naughty'. Quite sad to see that teachers now need reports to have empathy. Guess I should do some reflection as a teacher myself.

I think doctors sometimes find that parents (I don't mean you specifically) also don't take such traits seriously when the child is young unless there is a "label". Whether it's "just naughtiness" or a learning disability, it's still necessary for parents to instill discipline and do behavioural management (which is what "therapy" is, but you have to pay for it). When parents don't try to impose that discipline and manage behaviour when the child is young, precious time is lost. When the child is older, these things take more time to change, and the consequences are often greater. Personally, I don't think the diagnosis is necessary if parents and teachers address the issues as early as possible, but if either don't take it seriously, then a diagnosis may make them do so.

I have a friend who is the guardian of a 20yo girl whose parents are overseas and sent the girl (with mild ADHD) back to Singapore last year. It seems that the parents didn't do much in the way of training, but instead just made sure that they picked up after the girl and protected her from facing most of the consequences of her behaviour. My friend is doing her best now to help the girl be more disciplined, stay on task, comply with the requirements of her course etc, but sometimes has to step in more than she thinks is good, otherwise the girl might miss deadlines or fail tests/assignments, and the consequences are much more serious at this level than they would have been in primary school.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:05 am

Any1 tried neurofeedback?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres