How to toilet train a slow child?

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

How to toilet train a slow child?

Postby mummyJune » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:40 am

my boy is 4yrs & 3mths old. He is still on diapers. He refused to wear underwear & be toilet train. When he poo, he doesn't tell us he had poo & he can wear that dirty diaper for hours until the smell comes out. he goes full day childcare & the teacher says my son is the only 1 still in diapers.

my son is slow in learning. we had brought him to child development, all doctors said his learning ability is slow & might not be able to attend mainstream school. Another thing is when we talk to him or ask him questions, he is always in his own world & doesn't answer us.

But 1 thing 1st. I am already toilet training him but he always refused to wear underwear, always wants to wear diapers. Only when I scolds him, he will be willing to wear underwear. but thing is, he doesn't know when to pee & poo, despite me bringing him to the toilet every 20mins to remind him to pee/poo, he still doesn't learn. he will still pee/poo inside his underwear.

I feel helpless each time I keep reminding him to tell me when he wants to pee/poo yet he doesn't.

Please advise me what can I do to help him on his toilet training. I'm a FTWM thus the only time I can train him is weekends.

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to toilet train a slow child?

Postby verykiasu » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:03 am

mummyjane
i dropped u a PM
am sure ur boy will improve soon
cheers

verykiasu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mum2mum » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:19 pm

thanks for letting me know.
Last edited by mum2mum on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mum2mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby wamin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:23 pm

wamin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby scang » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:31 pm

wamin wrote:mum2mum, it is scam.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain ... 50688.html.

Are you referring to this?

Potty Training

scang
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby pharmacharak » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Hello mummyJune,
Do not let do what he want to do, and yes there are some kids who has slow learning stills. But after certain time they grasps the thing and work with that...

pharmacharak
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby pinkamoon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:51 am

Hi MummyJune,

Don't worry. I think we just need to be a liitle patient as every child is different. My son is autistic and he was like that when he was young. He was in diapers and sat on his poos until they dry up (when I went for holidays with him in US). That was when his awareness was low. I think your son may also have low alertness that is why he seems oblivious to his poos.

It is okay. Even if the tr says he is the last one in school to be on diapers, so be it. My friend's daughter still insisted to be wrapped up in diaper to poo at 5. Just keep reinforcing what to do, talk to him about what is the right thing to do, he will be able to do it. Celebrate his success when he does it right.

pinkamoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Liyuan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:59 pm

I have wrote a program for a child who requires toilet training some time ago. This is just for reference as this program is written for the child and every child is unique and different. This program is for children that generally takes a longer time to grasp a concept.

Below is the link for the flowchart and some instructions
http://www.autismstep.com/?p=1530
http://www.autismstep.com/?p=1529

Hope this can give you some ideas on how to set up your own toilet training program =)

Best Regards,
Liyuan
www.autismSTEP.com

Liyuan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Diaper cost!

Postby Euphrasia » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Hello.

I have an epileptic and autistic boy at AWWA School. Over the years, I have always fretted on how much I have to pay for diapers. I wish that I had thought earlier about writing proposals to suppliers for discounts!

Hence, recently, I managed to get long-term diaper discounts for him. I would like to share this discount with any special parent so that we can all stop paying that much for diapers (really annoys me!)

Currently, I have secured discounts for Fitti Basic, PETPET (kid diapers) and Certain Adult Diapers (tape and pull-up pants). I am working to secure discounts with other diaper brands. The biggest problem is that after XL, and XXL, there is no choice but to go towards Adult diapers. Yet, most come only at M size!

Thankfully, my boy is getting gradually trained and only needs diapers at night. Even then, given my struggling years of training him (and hence, paying for diapers), I decided that I will continue to work on my proposals to help us all save long run. The earlier parents start paying less for diapers, the earlier you can stretch your dollar! I want to share this with as many younger parents with younger kids as soon as possible!

If you are interested to know more, please write to me. Will be happy to share the discount. Cheers!

Euphrasia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties