Special needs child

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Special needs child

Postby nehasahai » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi My daughter will be going to P1 next year.
As I prepare to register in a school nearby, I would like to know what kind of support do schools offer to children with special needs.
My child has mild learning difficulties, I have heard all primary schools have allied educators but how do they work, any idea is the support enough?

nehasahai
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Special needs child

Postby sembgal » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:30 pm

nehasahai wrote:Hi My daughter will be going to P1 next year.
As I prepare to register in a school nearby, I would like to know what kind of support do schools offer to children with special needs.
My child has mild learning difficulties, I have heard all primary schools have allied educators but how do they work, any idea is the support enough?

Hi, as I do not know what is the mild learning difficulties that your child face, I do hope he/she is receiving early intervention. Here is the link: http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/program ... ial-needs/

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lynntan15 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:08 am

It would be better for you to check with the school. For some school, the allied educators are more for those with more severe learning problem. For those that fall in between (mild), maybe only remedial class/es.

lynntan15
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ammonite » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:15 pm

I think the actual help from allied educators in school is very limited (due to limited hours) and should not be seen as your primary source of remediation for the child. In some schools the AED will speak to the teachers to help them understand the child's learning and social needs. In others, the children are also pulled out for extra sessions with the AED (or in the after school hours), depending on the AED's area of expertise. Better to learn what needs to be done and implement it daily at home if you want to help your child level up with her peers.

However schools these days are much more understanding and accommodating towards special needs children. The increased flexibility and understanding can help the child have a positive school experience. This, I feel, is quite important in the growth of the child.

(if your child's learning needs are mild, you can likely level her up fairly quickly by teaching to her strengths and finding strategies to compensate for her weaknesses. In this way she will still be able to build her foundation and will be able to cope with upper primary work when the time comes.)

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pharmacharak » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Hello,
All the very best for your child's next education and i think yes some primary school have allied to educators...

pharmacharak
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby June.choy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:46 pm

This symposium will be useful as it will be on transition to school…

http://www.aeces.org/node/2861

June.choy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby June.choy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:48 pm

This symposium will be useful as it will be on transition to school…

http://www.aeces.org/node/2861

June.choy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nehasahai » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks all

nehasahai
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby September_21 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:05 am

Would you like to consider to attend some movement training for your kid?

September_21
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby nehasahai » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:13 pm

What's movement training? My child is already getting intervention

nehasahai
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties