Suggestions for haircut

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Suggestions for haircut

Postby shini19 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:38 am

Dear Daddies and Mummies,

I have a 4 years old autistic son who just hates to have his haircut. It is very difficult to keep him still in one position to have scissors or razors near his head.
Previously, my hubby would just hold him tightly in the barber's chair in the saloon with my boy screaming at the top of his voice.
I have tried to show him social story but I can still sense his fear.

Any recommendations or advice? Thanks a lot

shini19
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Suggestions for haircut

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:19 am

Buy a shearer and DIY botak.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:38 am

Go to those with TV or kiddy ride chairs. Best if balloons and lollypops are given after a haircut. $22-25 usually.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Gifts from Heaven » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:20 pm

You can try to cut his hair yourself.

My boy used to be like that when he was at your son's age.
He not only scream when we hold him down. He will try to kick the barber or hairdresser. Or he would grab the hairdresser's clothes to try to expose her so that she will stop to adjust her clothes. We were not able to use the shears, can only use scissors to snip away quickly. Cannot spray water at all. All the hairdresser/barber shops cannot handle him, except one. We always go back there when he badly needs a haircut. The aunties there were not v happy to see us. Always say it's because we never expose him to haircuts and allowed him to have his way when we need him to cut his hair. Then they closed down.
At that point, I decided to learn how to cut hair. Watched a lot of youtube videos and try to do it myself. Result was not good. So I took up hair cutting classes at the CC in the evenings to learn how to cut hair properly. Result were better but it took v long for me to cut his hair. Each session is about 2 hrs and I will play youtube videos of nursery songs to keep him distracted. And when he outgrew nursery songs, we moved on the games on the ipad or youtube videos of the games he was playing.
Thankfully as he grows older, he got better. So now, at 7 years old, we can cut his hair at QB shop. No need videos or games. But still no water can be sprayed. And he allowed the hairdresser to use the shears.

Gifts from Heaven
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ammonite » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:05 am

Gifts from Heaven wrote:You can try to cut his hair yourself.

Agree.

Shini19,
Non autistic children hate those razors and shearers too. Every time I see a kid screaming away in the barber chair, I really feel sorry for the kid AND the hairdresser. But you know what, I don't like the razors either.

The fear reaction is normal and instinctive. No fancy chairs or tv worked with my kids. They have to trust that the hairdresser won't accidentally cut their ears off or nick their necks.

I bought two pairs of hairdressing scissors for BASIC trimming and always assure them that my hand was acting as the barrier. MIL rose to the occasion magnificently. She had cut all her siblings' hair when she was younger and the boys trusted her. She would give them a handheld mirror so they could see what she was doing :lol: and SIL would distract by chit chatting with them.

Ds1 started going to QB house at 7. Ds2 is turning 8, and still adamant that only grandma is allowed to be his hairdresser and still no razors allowed.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mashy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:14 pm

Pass him the iphone. :D

Mine only started accepting hair cuts at barbers when we passed him the iphone and told him that it's a lot faster there. If cut at home, mummy takes a longer time and no iphone.

mashy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jache78 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:22 am

We also cut my boy's hair ourselves. At 3 years old, any "odd" hairstyle on him just looks "cute". We sit him in a high chair with an iPad. And cut away.

We still haven't solved the problem of how to keep him from crying in the clinic or hospital tho. We get a lot of attention when we are there haha.

jache78
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby playnpray » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:43 pm

I too have resolved to his hair myself. Learned from YouTube videos.

playnpray
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby heyhoe » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:42 am

Hi

I've 3 DS and no problem with the elder 2s, but with the youngest it was a struggle. I've tried stories, ipad and even letting him see his 2 older brother having haircut first, doesn't work. My husband had to hold him down, while the barber cut his hair away; with all the screaming and crying.

As he grew older, it was much harder to hold him down. Finally, I resorted to cutting his hair. While he sat in the toilet with an ipad in his hand, I snip away - just using scissor. It was not perfect but I guess it was better than none.

Everytime his brothers went for haircut, he'd follow. He'll observe but no haircut until, one day he saw his brothers had sweets from the barber. We sort of control their intake on sweet stuff and he was enticed by it. He finally agreed to have a haircut. He actually hug that bottle of sweet under the cloth tied under his neck!

As the barber snip away swiftly, he was finally able to get a decent haircut. It's monthly trip with the same barber to have a haircut and we will return if that particular barber is not around. Finally when he was much older, he has no issue with other barbers too.

I'm not sure if the sweets really did the initial trick or he has finally grew up. Whatever it was, I would like to share that it might take time for them to get there. As for now, try to cut your ds hair on your own as you're the person he trusted most.

Cheers

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Garycoleman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:43 pm

you should see him different type of hair cut pictures.Allow him select one among that himself.you should try to see other babies hair cut.

Garycoleman
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties