All About Dyslexia

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
Moviegirl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Dyslexia

Post by Moviegirl » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:12 am

Can anyone pls share good contact as my psle kid, who is dyslexia and adhd, is failing subjects like maths and English despite tuition and our support?

rclmummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by rclmummy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:38 am

Hi, my daughter is attending English therapy with Kids Testing And Dyslexia Center.

raistlyn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by raistlyn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi everyone,

My son was assessed to have dyslexia very recently + dysgraphia. He also has some attention deficit symptoms with poor working memory. I'm exploring the possibility of taking him out of the MOE system to an international school that will focus more on creativity and other aspects of development (while also obviously teaching the academic stuff). Of course, I know MOE's stance that all SG kids must go to a local school.

Has anyone tried this route - asking MOE for an exemption on such grounds? How did that go? Would love to hear your experiences of coping in the local system too.

Many thanks!!

Billaboy08
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Billaboy08 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi all, my son has been suspected for having Dyslexia and ADHD at p2..

Any recomendation for him to get a check up?

I have when to poly clinic to get a referral but the child development clinic rejected us telling is that only school can refer.

It was the teacher that told me to bring him see a doctor.

Any clinic or doctors any parents here can advise? Some clinic charging 2k to 3k for the assessment any cheaper option?

Thanks

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by swortionery » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:41 pm

Billaboy08 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:03 pm
Hi all, my son has been suspected for having Dyslexia and ADHD at p2..

Any recomendation for him to get a check up?

I have when to poly clinic to get a referral but the child development clinic rejected us telling is that only school can refer.

It was the teacher that told me to bring him see a doctor.

Any clinic or doctors any parents here can advise? Some clinic charging 2k to 3k for the assessment any cheaper option?

Thanks
I would suggest giving the Dyslexia Association of Singapore a call to ask them about their psychological assessment services. Another option is The Gifted Lab whom I'm working closely with. Their rates are reasonable and they have a short waiting time (let them know you're referred by Swords & Stationery for an additional discount).

Hope this helps!