All About Autism

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

All About Autism

Postby bbforest » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:43 am

Original Title: Adv: Autism suspected

Hi,

I happen to bring my son to a friend's house. They have 2 children about the same age with my son. His behaviour catch the attention of my friend's who is a playgroup teacher, he ask me if I have suspected that my son have Autism. My son don't seem to be interested to play with other children, and there is some delay in speech.

I started to read up articles and research in the internet, and it worry me more. When I see that there are a few signs of Autism.

Here are some signs to look for in the children in your life:
Lack of or delay in spoken language
Repetitive use of language and/or motor mannerisms (e.g., hand-flapping, twirling objects)
Little or no eye contact
Lack of interest in peer relationships
Lack of spontaneous or make-believe play
Persistent fixation on parts of objects


Is there any parent who have ever had this experience to share?

http://www.autism.com/index.asp

bbforest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Bowie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi,

I do not have any experience to share but here is what I read and hear.

This is what I read, I am not sure how old is your kid but kids around 2 actually still very "self centered" and do not play or interact with other kids well. i have observed in my gal class of 6 around age of 2 though in the same classroom, do not actually take initiative to play with one another. In fact they are not so affected by who are their play mates.

My colleague's gal has changed a number of child cares and he told me she is not affected with changing "friend" cos they are not so attached.

As for speech delay, my hubby colleague's gal did not talk till 3. Now she is 5, love to talk and able to read thick story books from library. In fact she can complete 1 book every 2 days. Much better than kids older than her age.

So hope my 2 cents can help and if you really suspect anything, seeing a specialist will clear your doubts . :lol:

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:43 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Luanee » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:10 pm

Bowie wrote:This is what I read, I am not sure how old is your kid but kids around 2 actually still very "self centered" and do not play or interact with other kids well. i have observed in my gal class of 6 around age of 2 though in the same classroom, do not actually take initiative to play with one another. In fact they are not so affected by who are their play mates.

But my 13-mth old daughter frequently tries to join in whatever activities her elder sister engages in.. ?

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:25 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby yemother » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi,

My son was slow in speech until 4 years old and in fact, his nursery teacher suggested to see specialist. I had brought up my concern to the doctor during his 3 year old checkup and he mentioned that it was okay as some children tends to have slow development. And true enough, my son started to progress very fast since his K1 until now (K2)and he is so talkative and curious that I have to stop him from asking questions at times.

I think he is lacking of social interaction as he is the only child in the family and also with the maid alone in the daytime.

Also, we try to bring him out more frequently to have some social interaction.

Regards.

yemother
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 4:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Bowie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:04 pm

Yes, agree with Yemother. Bring your kid out and join some activities will really help.

Kids grow @ different pace and I always believe when they are ready, they will progress.

:)

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:43 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Adv: Autism suspected

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:46 pm

bbforest, I agree with bowie and yemother. No point scouring the Internet looking for more information. Go to a specialist to do a proper evaluation. At least that would put your mind at ease.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: Adv: Autism suspected

Postby tohwei » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:22 pm

bbforest wrote:Hi,

I happen to bring my son to a friend's house. They have 2 children about the same age with my son. His behaviour catch the attention of my friend's who is a playgroup teacher, he ask me if I have suspected that my son have Autism. My son don't seem to be interested to play with other children, and there is some delay in speech.

I started to read up articles and research in the internet, and it worry me more. When I see that there are a few signs of Autism.

Here are some signs to look for in the children in your life:
Lack of or delay in spoken language
Repetitive use of language and/or motor mannerisms (e.g., hand-
flapping, twirling objects)
Little or no eye contact
Lack of interest in peer relationships
Lack of spontaneous or make-believe play
Persistent fixation on parts of objects

Is there any parent who have ever had this experience to share?

http://www.autism.com/index.asp


my son only start to talk when he is four and talk non stop no worries
by the way you can go to this web site www.myspecialkid.com.sg for reference .

i had written an article for autism if you are interested , email me or vice versa we can discuss in details

tohwei
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:30 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Adv: Autism suspected

Postby matrix0405 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:33 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:bbforest, I agree with bowie and yemother. No point scouring the Internet looking for more information. Go to a specialist to do a proper evaluation. At least that would put your mind at ease.


Good point. Internet cannot help you determine, you need a specialist to do the eval. Do consider to go soon as early intervention can help the child. KKH provides this service.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:56 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Timtams » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:29 am

Any comment from the folks here on the alleged link between autism and vaccination?

Timtams
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Luanee » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:43 am

My 20mth-old still cannot talk. No papa no mama no mum-mum or anything. She can gesture and indicate what she wants. PD says as long she has good eye contact, can response to name, understand and follows instructions, dances to music etc, she is fine. Wait till she turns 2 and see how. But I am worried, sigh...

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:25 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties