All About Autism

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
tyeogh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:15

Re: All About Autism

Post by tyeogh » Mon May 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Er...maybe the reason why I don't share all your pains is because the people I mix with all BTC. Bo tak chek.

Stay back a few years. Pon tang school. Fail all the way. Very normal. Academia is but only 1 part of life *shrug*.

Dont rob, steal and gangfight can already.But what do I know. LoL

Niu2009
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Niu2009 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:33 am

Hi Double E,

Understood your feeling. P1, most of kids can score band 1 , but I refer to normal primary, not the branded one. But most important thing is his behaviors. If our kids want to survive in main stream, behavior is the first thing. Maybe try role play and social stories. For academic, try to look through the papers, is that due to careless mistakes? Or exam skill, such as time management or not read the instructions carefully before answer the questions. What we can do is try our best to help them.

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Post by DesertWind » Sat May 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi tyeogh, double-E and all,

How are you?

How time flies, boy is now in P2 and still having a shadow-teacher. This shadow-teacher is a God-send and has been following up on my boy since P1 for 4 hours each day. She will write daily feedback and also make sure he finishes his homework on time in school. When she cannot shadow him, it shows in his messy bag and pencil case with missing stationery etc.

The mid-year report was a good one all things considered. His Maths is quite good but English is not ideal. Teacher suspected we over-focus on Maths and he was quite right. English composition would be a problem going forward. Boy's speech is still not on par with his peers but he sure can nag when he wants to. For eg. now, he wants to "go on holiday, mummy!" because June holiday is coming and he is anticipating our staycation in Sentosa hotel again. :lol:

While I was hoping he can do without the shadow teacher, but the arrangement is now so comfortable that I just close one eye to :moneyflies: :moneyflies: :moneyflies: .

Some of us are pretty pensive for some reason as we ponder the future...

For me, am not without my fair share of challenging situation.

For example, we just received the letter from MOE informing the school that our application for Mandarin exemption has failed. So what are we going to do now? Siaz..... :? Sometimes I am amazed at the types of tomatoes that are being thrown to us. :duck: Thought we have taken care of one issue already another one came! :gloomy: Teachers in school all surprised because they thought this would be a straight-forward case since they have never heard my boy verbalized one word of Mandarin in the 2 years there and oral etc. all close to zero-points. But my boy can write Mandarin beautifully and read with the help of hanyu-pinyin.

Hubby actually wanted to stomp into the PD's office asking what happened, izzit the report not written well enough? I told him we better stop and think carefully what we want to do next. For eg. the rejection letter stated that exemption would be given on grounds of learning disability, not ASD.....

Anyway....not going to think much for now because need to take a break lah...enjoy our holidays with our kids first. Yes, because they really don't have a care in the world at their age. My boy is really happy to go school each day!. :wink:

:celebrate:

mashy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:33

Post by mashy » Sat May 28, 2016 9:16 pm

DesertWind wrote:Hi tyeogh, double-E and all,

How are you?

How time flies, boy is now in P2 and still having a shadow-teacher. This shadow-teacher is a God-send and has been following up on my boy since P1 for 4 hours each day. She will write daily feedback and also make sure he finishes his homework on time in school. When she cannot shadow him, it shows in his messy bag and pencil case with missing stationery etc.

The mid-year report was a good one all things considered. His Maths is quite good but English is not ideal. Teacher suspected we over-focus on Maths and he was quite right. English composition would be a problem going forward. Boy's speech is still not on par with his peers but he sure can nag when he wants to. For eg. now, he wants to "go on holiday, mummy!" because June holiday is coming and he is anticipating our staycation in Sentosa hotel again. :lol:

While I was hoping he can do without the shadow teacher, but the arrangement is now so comfortable that I just close one eye to :moneyflies: :moneyflies: :moneyflies: .

For example, we just received the letter from MOE informing the school that our application for Mandarin exemption has failed. So what are we going to do now? Siaz..... :? Sometimes I am amazed at the types of tomatoes that are being thrown to us. :duck: Thought we have taken care of one issue already another one came! :gloomy: Teachers in school all surprised because they thought this would be a straight-forward case since they have never heard my boy verbalized one word of Mandarin in the 2 years there and oral etc. all close to zero-points. But my boy can write Mandarin beautifully and read with the help of hanyu-pinyin.

Hubby actually wanted to stomp into the PD's office asking what happened, izzit the report not written well enough? I told him we better stop and think carefully what we want to do next. For eg. the rejection letter stated that exemption would be given on grounds of learning disability, not ASD.....

Anyway....not going to think much for now because need to take a break lah...enjoy our holidays with our kids first. Yes, because they really don't have a care in the world at their age. My boy is really happy to go school each day!. :wink:

Try the exemption application again next year? I've heard of a lot of rejections from MOE recently. I must be so blessed to get exemption quickly. We had the psychologist's report and the Cdu doctor's letter when we submitted. The letter was very simple. Both had recommendations for him to be exempted from MT.

tyeogh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by tyeogh » Sat May 28, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi Desertwind,
When the child development doctor saw my son, she wrote an exemption letter for him straight away. It's a good thing someone thinks your son can make it, no? :rotflmao:

On the other fronts, my son is well settled into Pathlight foundation year. No pressure, no stress. He is happy. I am happy. That's all that matters I suppose?

Double E
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Double E » Mon May 30, 2016 6:39 pm

DesertWind
Your boy is in mainstream right? My boy is similar, he can read with Hanyu Pin yin, writes nice chinese character, could score in his Ting Xie. If not for him missing the entire page 2 of his Chinese exam paper, he could have squeezed into Band 1. But I know his compo and oral will be a big problem, that's why I was comtemplating exemption by the time he turns P2. Looks like I may face similar issue as you when I decide to apply exemption for him, unless his results deteriorated.

Niu 2009
Is both his exam skills and carelessness. For both Math and Chinese, I believed he could score band 1 if not for the careless mistakes. Chinese paper, he missed out entire page 2. For Eng, his weakness is close passage and compre. But u are right to say, behaviour is more important for now. Because if behaviour issues are not tackled, it could affect his learning. I am glad the school is willing to help. I think now even the Principal knows him and has been taking care of him for some days. For Christians out there, I think this is how God has planned for me. HE is very frank to let me know that life is not a bed of roses for my boy and HE let these issues surfaced not to defeat me but to help get attention from the school so that they can step in to help. What can I say? My God is good, and HE did not abandon my boy. (Frankily, for a while, I thought HE did and I was angry).

So now, my expectation is sort of adjusted. I am not expecting him to be in Band 1 esp for Eng. As long as he improves, I will be happy. And more importantly, his behaviour issues can be resolved or controlled.

Jia you everyone!! Enjoy your June holidays.

Niu2009
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Niu2009 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi Double E,

Glad to hear from you. Jia you!I just back from PTM last Friday. Teacher feedback sometimes can't find his worksheet or forgot to hand in works. Started to interact with friends and express his own opinions and ideas. For the careless mistake, for me, prefer let him do mock tests at home. I do believe more practice will less the careless mistakes. Try to teach him self check to find the missing questions or pages.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:296

Post by phtthp » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:07 pm

DesertWind wrote:Hi tyeogh, double-E and all,

How are you?

if a child have learning disability, in a language : child can gain exemption.
But, if the child no learning disabilty : child won't clear exemption.
Educational professionals are cautious, in clearing a child for exemption.

for example
you mention that "the rejection letter stated that exemption would be given on grounds of learning disability, not ASD"

you also say that, "But my boy can write Mandarin beautifully and read with the help of hanyu-pinyin", this shows that your son is able to read and write Mandarin well, is not that your boy cannot even read nor write any Chinese character at all, hence the educational professionals conclude that since he actually didn't show a learning disability in P2 Chinese, thus did not clear him for exemption ?

if a child unable to clear exemption, at P5, Mainstream school may recommend alternative, eg: take Foundation Chinese, instead of Standard Chinese, at end of P4 SA2 streaming, into P5 classes.

This was what happened, to my friend's daughter (also ASD child) from a mission primary school.
in the end, at PSLE : her daughter did 3 Standard subjects (English, Maths, Science), plus Foundation Chinese. Her mom said Foundation Chinese, is much easier.

pokoyoko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by pokoyoko » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:37 am

Did anyone catch Adrian Pang's latest play, 'Falling'? There was something he said that I felt for..

"If you've met one person with autism, you've only met one person".

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Post by DesertWind » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:06 pm

mashy wrote: Try the exemption application again next year? I've heard of a lot of rejections from MOE recently. I must be so blessed to get exemption quickly. We had the psychologist's report and the Cdu doctor's letter when we submitted. The letter was very simple. Both had recommendations for him to be exempted from MT.
Hi mashy,

Ya, maybe times have changed. Anyway, we will appeal and see how... :celebrate: