All About Autism

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Autism

Post by DesertWind » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:11 pm

tyeogh wrote:Hi Desertwind,
When the child development doctor saw my son, she wrote an exemption letter for him straight away. It's a good thing someone thinks your son can make it, no? :rotflmao:

On the other fronts, my son is well settled into Pathlight foundation year. No pressure, no stress. He is happy. I am happy. That's all that matters I suppose?
Hi Tyeogh,

Ya, in Pathlight it is automatic exemption for MT so no worries. Even all the special arrangements and concessions for exams. eg. extra time etc. will be arranged by the school with the MOE directly.

Anyway, whichever school our boys attend, it must work on daily basis on all front ya? Yes, the kid must be happy and then the adults will be happy too! :smile:

:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by DesertWind » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Double E wrote:DesertWind
Your boy is in mainstream right? My boy is similar, he can read with Hanyu Pin yin, writes nice chinese character, could score in his Ting Xie. If not for him missing the entire page 2 of his Chinese exam paper, he could have squeezed into Band 1. But I know his compo and oral will be a big problem, that's why I was comtemplating exemption by the time he turns P2. Looks like I may face similar issue as you when I decide to apply exemption for him, unless his results deteriorated.
Hi Double E,

Yes, my boy in mainstream. Its good to hear that your boy is coping well with Chinese so far! :smile:
I suppose nowadays just can't expect the MT exemption will be granted even after we got all the paperwork done and send in the application lor...

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by DesertWind » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:27 pm

phtthp wrote: ...this shows that your son is able to read and write Mandarin well, is not that your boy cannot even read nor write any Chinese character at all, hence the educational professionals conclude that since he actually didn't show a learning disability in P2 Chinese, thus did not clear him for exemption ?

This was what happened, to my friend's daughter (also ASD child) from a mission primary school. In the end, at PSLE : her daughter did 3 Standard subjects (English, Maths, Science), plus Foundation Chinese. Her mom said Foundation Chinese, is much easier.
Hi phtthp,

Thanks for sharing!

Anyway, currently boy is already going to a different class to learn more basic Chinese compared to his other classmates who remain in class waiting for their laoshi to come. So everyday he needs to carry not only his backpack but another bag to hold all his Chinese text/activity/exercise books so that he can bring to his chinese class...

We are taking one step at a time and I am sure everything will work out for good eventually lor... :smile:

winniepig
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by winniepig » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi all,

I am new here. My boy (now is 2.5yr old) have autism symptom, went KK last year(they dinot give us a answer, cos kid was too young to diagnose at 18mth). They refer us to alot test and OT/ST, and we ddi enroll eipic ctr @ woodlands. And we did employ a private teacher teaching him the ABA once a week(when we are waiting for the eipic ctr), attending the normal childcare now.

The woodlands Eipic just replied us last mth, they only can take him under 1-3pm slot. we did explain to them the kid situation need nag in this particular time, but they replied we need be flexible esp autism kid. after discussion, we just want to give him a try. But i am surprise the teacher is so young, and they seen donot know how to interactive w them.(it is only 2kids included my boy) And she replied us she got no experience on teaching so young kid. :gloomy:

I feel so sad... after long waiting and having this situation. Anyone can share your experience in Eipic ctr?? or it is really all the same? is it the Eipic ctr can help the kid back to mainstream school?? private teacher really cost alot and he did well on 1 to 1 session, but not the group setting.

we keep praying for the past year, looking solution... or anyone can help or giving advise??

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:241

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:52 pm

winniepig wrote:I feel so sad... after long waiting and having this situation. Anyone can share your experience in Eipic ctr?? or it is really all the same? is it the Eipic ctr can help the kid back to mainstream school?? private teacher really cost alot and he did well on 1 to 1 session, but not the group setting.

we keep praying for the past year, looking solution... or anyone can help or giving advise??
It's very important for regular (daily) continual reinforcement. Can you learn how to do it and do it yourself? You can still have individual sessions, just less frequently so they can advise you what to do at home.

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Post by ImMeeMee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:02 pm

winniepig wrote:Hi all,

I am new here. My boy (now is 2.5yr old) have autism symptom, went KK last year(they dinot give us a answer, cos kid was too young to diagnose at 18mth). They refer us to alot test and OT/ST, and we ddi enroll eipic ctr @ woodlands. And we did employ a private teacher teaching him the ABA once a week(when we are waiting for the eipic ctr), attending the normal childcare now.

The woodlands Eipic just replied us last mth, they only can take him under 1-3pm slot. we did explain to them the kid situation need nag in this particular time, but they replied we need be flexible esp autism kid. after discussion, we just want to give him a try. But i am surprise the teacher is so young, and they seen donot know how to interactive w them.(it is only 2kids included my boy) And she replied us she got no experience on teaching so young kid. :gloomy:

I feel so sad... after long waiting and having this situation. Anyone can share your experience in Eipic ctr?? or it is really all the same? is it the Eipic ctr can help the kid back to mainstream school?? private teacher really cost alot and he did well on 1 to 1 session, but not the group setting.

winniepig

It may not be a surprise that SPED teachers are getting younger these days. I suppose it could be due to the government putting in place more programs on SPED, so the demand and supply issue kicks in. Generally speaking, if the teacher indeed has no experience, she is likely to be under training and the supervision of the teacher in charge, and likely not taking the group by herself. So you may like to check it out in more detail when she said what she said.

In the EIPIC school that my daughter attended back then, there is an overall teacher-in-charge that oversees the rest of the teachers. They called her the Principal Teacher. If indeed your teacher is not experienced or that you have concerns about the teaching approach, you could talk to the P teacher, raise your concerns and give feedback on how to manage your child. The teachers also work in a team when delivering the IEP for the child, and they organise periodic sessions with parents to set goals and discuss strategies. You could make use of these opportunities to ask questions and seek clarification on issues that you have.

Hope this helps. All the best.

bs1975
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by bs1975 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi,
Any recommendation of PD or Nutritionist who believe in treating asd with diet/supplements.
I see some results after removing casein and limiting gluten in boy boy's diet. However, his weight gain has been very slow in the past 6 months. Thinking of bring him to see dietician.

belachanbabe
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by belachanbabe » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:47 am

Hi DesertWind

Unfortunate similar story, my boy in P3 also had his MT exemption rejected in May. Of course we were in shock for a while because it never crossed our minds that he wouldn’t get the exemption. His MT results were so dismal despite tuition, like single digit over 100. As mentioned by others before, perhaps they do look at the other subjects’ results and if those weren’t too bad, they hope the kid will be able to cope with mandarin eventually. Anyway, we will appeal again or speak to MP, whichever earlier.

Seems like there was blanket rejection for all the latest MT exemption cases. Just wondering now if there are really too many ASD cases or extreme parents out there going to the extent of getting their kids diagnosed ASD (since it is a spectrum) to gain exemption to up PSLE results. This is my anger talking though.

Double E
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Double E » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:09 pm

belachanbabe
Sorry to hear about your rejection too. Seems like I have to prep myself for the same result. In fact, I was telling friends that I am not worry about this mandarin as he can always get exemption, seems like it is not the case afterall. I also wonder of the MOE interviews the MT teacher to get a better sense of how the kid cope in school instead of just depending on the report. But I will do the same like you, put up appeal and speak to MP for help. I wish you all the best.

belachanbabe
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by belachanbabe » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:16 pm

Thanks for the support Double E

Heng that other one in Pathlight which has an automatic exemption, otherwise I'll cry twice!

And yes, lesson learnt is never to ASSUME and make an ass of u and me.