Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Autism

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Re: All About Autism

Postby swortionery » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 am

guppy wrote:Hi all,
Thought that it’d be good to share about an event happening this coming Saturday Oct 27 which might be of interest.
A relative of mine was diagnosed with Autism at the age of 2 1/2. He was taken to a psychologist and was labelled as cognitively compromised. His parents were told that he would never be able to count and that they should focus on his life skills versus his academic future. He was non-verbal at the time. His parents pursued multiple therapies, some of which worked and some of which he did not respond to. His parents eventually took him to the United States where he was evaluated by Speech-Language Pathologist, Maria McNish. She started with oral motor therapy and used a variety of advanced treatment techniques to expand his vocabulary of single words. Those words were eventually combined into phrases and sentences.
He is now conversational and speaks and acts like a neurotypical child. He attends a mainstream school and is in the advanced class for Maths.
Maria, founder of Advanced Therapy of America, gave his parents the tools that they needed. Maria is coming to Singapore to speak on 27th Oct (Sat 9am).
If you are interested in this talk, you can register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-childs-b ... 1133411410

Thank you

Ah, missed it! I would have liked to attend :(

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ms. Ooi » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:45 am

Hi, I'm a private educational therapist. I'm providing home based intervention for children who has Autism Spectrum Disorder and others diagnosis. Kindly go to https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/serv ... ial-needs/ to find out more!

I'm ready to support you and your child. =)

Ms. Ooi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby SIfamily » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi, anyone has a recommendation for English and Math home tutor with experience handling mild Autism child in Pri 3 (2019), at my place in AMK?

Thanks

SIfamily
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby san20sg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Dear Mummies, I am quite lost as what to do now. KKH asked me to do an autistic assessment test on my child who was suspected to have mild autism.

My child was a slow speaker, diagnosed with selective mutism when he was 3-3.5yrs old and attends various speech therapy at between 3-4 yrs old and another 6 months between 5.5-6yrs old.

He exhibits extreme shyness and social anxiety and has social difficulties with strangers or even familiar friends and aunties in changing social contexts. Until now, he has not greeted anyone beHe is slow to warm up but when he does, his voice picks up much stronger and he does really enjoy social interaction and will ask me to ask his friends out for playdates on weekends. He is very warm and affectionate to us and also to his very close friends. So I can't tell he has any trace of autism because he can engage with others, and can look into people's eyes and can show and engage in affection. I do admit he is extremely shy and find it hard to initiate play but I thought it is more of his character than this "autism".

san20sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby rykiel » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:46 pm

shout out to parents whos children are collecting their psle results this thursday.
will ur child be going to a mainstream school?

rykiel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby snowyqueen » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Its more for the purpose of encouragement, not to paint a beautiful picture because my journey with my girl who is now 17 years was also full of tears, joy, pain, disappointment and tremendous hardships. She is a high functioning aspie who had problems with orals and english comprehension but good in maths n chinese (except oral), managed to study in an ip girl school after psle. She eventually topped the level in a math n science subject in sec 4 n moved on to afflilated ipjc and just ended her jc1. She has talents in maths and music, common for high functioning aspie to have 1 or 2 talents. Just when we thought that was all for for her as she became normalised year by year and her talents slowly weakened but she surprised us this year with her humanities talent. She scored well for econs n gp in comparison with her other H2 subjects n is one of the top performers in JC1 in her school. I remembered she would sometimes gave up on the papers during exams in pri n sec sch and so i was extremely scared she could not handle the stress in psle and her sec 4 promo exam. After each setback when she messed up some papers, i always encourage her not to give up, build up the resiliency n mental strength to overcome her deficencies esp on stress management . She even conquered her fear of doing pw oral presentation to deliever a smooth and supposing good presentation last week.
So sometimes my friends will tell me.... so lucky for your daughter but deep in my heart i know since she was pri 1 i already put in 200% or more of my effort on her, scarificing my leisure time, enduring the ups n downs with her throughout the journey. When i felt like giving up, i would remind myself, if we parents give up on them, then who can help them. There is no luck, it is just hard work after hard work , to work on the deficiencies, ultilising their strength to cover their weakness. Having said that, each child is different so we need to try n try to eventually find the ways to help them effectively. I still believe hard work pays, even that enjoy the learning journey with them...after all they are our child.

snowyqueen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:57 am

snowyqueen wrote:... So sometimes my friends will tell me.... so lucky for your daughter but deep in my heart i know since she was pri 1 i already put in 200% or more of my effort on her, scarificing my leisure time, enduring the ups n downs with her throughout the journey. When i felt like giving up, i would remind myself, if we parents give up on them, then who can help them. There is no luck, it is just hard work after hard work , to work on the deficiencies, ultilising their strength to cover their weakness. Having said that, each child is different so we need to try n try to eventually find the ways to help them effectively. I still believe hard work pays, even that enjoy the learning journey with them...after all they are our child.

Thanks for sharing your story. I have an aspie daughter too, now in her 2nd year at NTU. Yes, it's been hard work for all of us, but like you, we have to remember that no-one understands or will put in the effort like we do. My daughter had a few good teachers along the way who were willing to understand and help, but most of it was done by us parents. My daughter is not very strong academically, but I don't worry too much about the academics now as she seems able to manage (with some coaching and guidance) to pass; my main concern is that her social skills are weak, and she has hardly any friends. She has no interest in having much of a social life and stays home most of the time when she isn't attending classes, but she's too old for me to arrange "playdates" any more! I worry about how she will find and keep a job after university, and about her social networks.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby san20sg » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:30 am

Would going for the assessment for an actual diagnosis "label" the child?
What would be the cons of such a label? Would it affect his DSA chances or opportunities in school?

What additional support would this diagnosis bring in a school? Do they give extra social skills workshops or training or allocate speech therapy class etc?

Thanks!

san20sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:03 pm

san20sg wrote:Would going for the assessment for an actual diagnosis "label" the child?
What would be the cons of such a label? Would it affect his DSA chances or opportunities in school?

What additional support would this diagnosis bring in a school? Do they give extra social skills workshops or training or allocate speech therapy class etc?

Thanks!

There is no need to disclose it to the school if you choose not to. (If you do it in a public hospital or with a referral from the school, I guess the school may be informed? I'm not sure about this.)

I don't think most schools have the expertise or capacity to do additional training for special needs. The most you can hope for is that they give accommodations, and maybe have a Special Ed teacher and counsellor available for advice etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowyqueen » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Being an Aspie, my daughter is also poor in social skills. She has friends in school but not very close friends. She only has one very good friend since primary school. However, I am not too concerned about her friendship issues but I am more focus on dealing with her anxiety, lack of self-confidence, avoidance attitude.
She would have severe migraine and stomachache issues before exams or when stressful events coming up esp in sec school since academics became more stressful. She would ask me if she can skip the tests/papers/events and I always rejected her because I felt that it would develop into a habit by applying this “avoidance” attitude. I said it was OK even if you failed, so just took the pain killer and used your mental will to complete the papers. I always counselled and reminded her that it was very important to stay focus and build up the mental strength to handle difficult situations/failures.
Her academic performance was built through a lot of hardship and I discovered this was the best way to boost up her self-confidence. In P2, I discovered her talents in Maths and Chinese with her strong memory and processing skills. We focused on using these 2 subjects to compensate for her weakness in English and Science. She could use her almost full marks Chinese comp and Paper 2 marks to compensate for her poor oral marks etc.
About social skills, she is still poor at it and still trying to manage it but she also learnt that friendship needs to be maintained and every party has to put in effort, she needs to take initiative as well. She said she doesn’t know how to start an interesting conversation but can learn and mimic her friends. She would observe them and try to copy them. So I just laughed it out.
I encouraged her to do volunteering work and joined youth corp to learn more things and widened her social circles. But frankly speaking, it was a blessing in disguise because of her strong academic performance, a lot of opportunities open for her to join the programs by the various organizations such that she can meet more people and meet more friends from other institutions.
She learnt her leadership skills only in JC, quite slow as compare to her peers but I was glad that she finally dared to try.
Depending on the condition of each child, early intervention to build up their skills can help them to conquer their deficiencies along the way. Now we do not need to use her strength in sc and maths to compensate for the humanities part as knowing her weakness, I actually sent her to learn GP in Sec 4 and she matured a lot through the GP lectures to learn about global and Singapore issues etc. Being in the right place at the right time is important because the maturity of a teenage is important for their development. So, need to meet the right “伯乐” at the right time. For this, I am appreciative and grateful to Tong Yee and his team (especially Ms Chew who had taught her for 2 years).
Tong Yee gave a note to the JC2 students 3 weeks ago on his last lecture: It is our sincere hope that our time together has given you new ways of looking at the world. We hope that you have matured beyond stereotypes. That you get it that distinction offer us amazing new ways of seeing, being and acting on behalf of our many shared challenges. Beyond the broad beliefs we have about countries, institutions, players and people, there is a world of beautiful distinctions. You, being the most unique distinction that can genuinely make a difference in this world.
I certainly hope my daughter can get the distinction (not only for A level next year) but the distinction of acquiring skills that can help her to deal with the challenging society and the distinction in her ability to be able to contribute to the society especially to help those who are in same condition as her. I wish!

snowyqueen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres