All About Autism

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
GeorgyGirl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Autism

Post by GeorgyGirl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Are there any parents out there with their child having a "suspected ASD" as KKH tells me, Who is attending EIPIC THK at TAMPINES? If so, Are they good? Im lost... I dont know where to put my child. She is 27 months. SHe is currently attending a PAP Toddler playgroup near my house, Hoping that this will help for her social interaction skills while waiting for EIPIC center. As you or some of you know, These government subsidized centers have a very long waiting list. I was wondering if by just waiting, that we are losing important time for EARLY INTERVENTION. After awhile of pondering, while im still at the confuse state, i was thinking of putting her at ZEE Juniors. But the problem is...I could only afford their PPIP Program and not the Mainstream(Childcare which is around $1200++). On top of that the therapy fees (taking the most expensive program they have at 1555) , after subsidy will be 356SGD. And that will be a total of$1500++ every month.... The thing about ZEE is that if your child goes for therapy and childcare there, The teachers who knew your child well will be able to bridge the therapy uses and tools and integrate it in MAINSTREAM. On the other hand, if you go to EIPIC THK, you will have to bridge all the therapy tools and techniques to their PAP childcare teacher...

I dont have problems with that, but sometimes, i worry that im not good enough to do this bridging or to apply all the techniques at home all by myself.. What if i do wrong...What me and my child lose essential time to get the proper help? To all parents out there.... Pleas help me. I have no prior knowledge or experience in this "SUSPECTED ASD or ASD even... please help

GeorgyGirl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by GeorgyGirl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Are there any parents out there with their child having a "suspected ASD" as KKH tells me, Who is attending EIPIC THK at TAMPINES? If so, Are they good? Im lost... I dont know where to put my child. She is 27 months. SHe is currently attending a PAP Toddler playgroup near my house, Hoping that this will help for her social interaction skills while waiting for EIPIC center. As you or some of you know, These government subsidized centers have a very long waiting list. I was wondering if by just waiting, that we are losing important time for EARLY INTERVENTION. After awhile of pondering, while im still at the confuse state, i was thinking of putting her at ZEE Juniors. But the problem is...I could only afford their PPIP Program and not the Mainstream(Childcare which is around $1200++). On top of that the therapy fees (taking the most expensive program they have at 1555) , after subsidy will be 356SGD. And that will be a total of$1500++ every month.... The thing about ZEE is that if your child goes for therapy and childcare there, The teachers who knew your child well will be able to bridge the therapy uses and tools and integrate it in MAINSTREAM. On the other hand, if you go to EIPIC THK, you will have to bridge all the therapy tools and techniques to their PAP childcare teacher...

I dont have problems with that, but sometimes, i worry that im not good enough to do this bridging or to apply all the techniques at home all by myself.. What if i do wrong...What me and my child lose essential time to get the proper help? To all parents out there.... Pleas help me. I have no prior knowledge or experience in this "SUSPECTED ASD or ASD even... please help

tyeogh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by tyeogh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi GeorgyGirl,
You have PM. Cheers

AnneS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by AnneS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:15 pm

I am writing this post to inform all the parents here how lucky we are that we met Case Manager Marilyn. We were advised to go to Autism STEP since our precious daughter needs special care. Marilyn gives us the orientation on what to expect and provides the relevant information and advice. She is professional and we are rest assured that our child will improve one step at a time. Our deepest regard to Marilyn and the rest of the staff of Autism STEP.

NTU ASD01 STUDY
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Invitation to participate in study: Improving relationship between mother and child

Post by NTU ASD01 STUDY » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:10 pm

ARE YOU A MOTHER OF A CHILD WITH ASD? Sign up for our study to help us learn about your relationship with your child. Your involvement in the study would consist of completing a one-hour online survey. You can complete the study at your convenience and will be compensated for your time.

Mothers of a child with ASD who is between the ages of 3-7 years old are eligible to participate.

If interested, call Ms. Chloe Hong at +65 9652 8075 or email asdresearch01@gmail.com. Alternatively, contact the Social and Affective Neuroscience Lab at 65921573. For more information on the study, call with questions.

Last edited by NTU ASD01 STUDY on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NTU ASD01 STUDY
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Invitation to participate in study: Improving relationship between mother and child

Post by NTU ASD01 STUDY » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:10 pm

ARE YOU A MOTHER OF A CHILD WITH ASD? Sign up for our study to help us learn about your relationship with your child. Your involvement in the study would consist of completing a one-hour online survey. You can complete the study at your convenience and will be compensated for your time.

Mothers of a child with ASD who is between the ages of 3-7 years old are eligible to participate.

If interested, call Ms. Chloe Hong at +65 9652 8075 or email asdresearch01@gmail.com. Alternatively, contact the Social and Affective Neuroscience Lab at 65921573. For more information on the study, call with questions.

guppy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by guppy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:04 am

Hi,
Has anyone tried
https://integratedlistening.com/ssp-saf ... -protocol/
According to website, it is a research-based therapy showing significant results in just five days in the following areas:

Social and emotional difficulties
Auditory sensitivities
Anxiety and trauma related challenges
Inattention
Stressors that impact social engagement

It appears that the research was originally on children with autism.
Thanks

O_O_Dad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by O_O_Dad » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:11 pm

George girl, have a grip on yourself.
Play wth your child a lot, love your child a lot.. do within your means.. dun over stretch.. coz she needs strong, loving and playful parents MORE than anything. Trust me. It will get better if u r strong, loving and playful.
I am speaking from personal experiences over 15 years. Hopefully, u find some insights from my personal stories with my son.

https://livetill100.blog/2019/07/18/069 ... ontaneous/

https://livetill100.blog/2019/07/26/070 ... eel-loved/

quote=GeorgyGirl post_id=1934846 time=1568192098 user_id=181028]

[/quote]

Janet32
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Janet32 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:03 pm

We are so blessed to meet Therapist Jia Yi for being patient and did not give up to our son who was diagnosed with mild autism since he was only 5 years old. Autism Step is highly commendable for customizing a program that will address my child's needs. We were oriented of the stuff that was written on the contract that we signed, on what to expect and how will they do that. It is rewarding for my son to be coached and a pleasure for us to partner with them.

chibi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by chibi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:52 am

Hi all
It has been a long time since I posted in this thread.
My eldest daughter, who has high functioning autism is now in secondary 2 .
She has been diagnosed since she was 5 yrs old.
She went through therapies at KKH since 5 yrs old, Now she is still seeing the doctor at KKH for her yearly review.
She is in main stream primary n secondary school, given great support from her school teachers and allied educator.
She went to normal academic stream, following her PSLE results release 2 yrs back.
But I am glad to say that she is now doing well in her stream, was granted opportunities to take express courses for maths n science, but she wanted to take things slow at her pace, so she rejected the opportunities.
I am very proud to say that , her secondary 2 Maths exam results was released yesterday and she scored 94 , the highest in her class!!!
I was super super happy and excited !
We were holding hands and jumping with joy when she told me her results!
She told me how her friends were cheering for her when the teacher announced to the class the highest score.I can see the joy and pride in her eyes.
It was a long and ardous journey through her academic years, with ups and downs.
It was a scary journey for both of us.
I have to let go of my fears, letting her go to her school camp, girl guides camp in secondary school.
But I witnessed how she over come her fears.
She even did her job as a tour guide at Garden by the Bay for her Girl guide duties!
I was very devastated when she was diagnosed with autism many years back.
But I told myself, if I were to give up, who is going to help her?
Step by step , slow and steady I kept reminding myself.
Every step taken by her is a mile stone.

I wish to tell all here, there is really light at the end of the tunnel.
Even though my daughter will sure encounter setbacks through out her academic years, and even when she goes to polytechnic et cin future, or to work.
But we will all get through this together! 😊