Agape Little Uni

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

Agape Little Uni

Postby panicmum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:11 am

Anyone have feedback on Agape Little Uni? They are starting one at Cashew Heights next yr, need some feedback on this one cos I hope to put my youngest son to playgroup, but one that is good with moral values and teaches through play.

panicmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hihimummy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:37 am

I am quite tempted to sent my kid to Agape Little Uni at NTU alumni Club. Any one sent their kids there?

hihimummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby fitfitchan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 am

hihimummy wrote:I am quite tempted to sent my kid to Agape Little Uni at NTU alumni Club. Any one sent their kids there?

Hi,

I ever tot of putting my son with Agape Little Uni at NTU Alumni Club. Not too sure if you have visited the CCC. I personally quite like the place as it's security level is good & the environment is nice too.

But too bad i will be shifting to Kallang & Agape has just opened one outlet there. And not too like the location as it is at the multi-storey carpark. It looks dim outside but the area is much bigger than NTU Alumni Club.

So still sourcing around....... I will give a shot at NTU Alumni Club if i'm still staying there.

fitfitchan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby magg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Hi,

I just got my son started at Agape Little Uni last week. It is his first full day care experience. I was torn between the Little Skool House at Ghim Moh CC versus this Agape Little Uni at NTU Alumni Club. What made me decide was Agape's facilities.

I loved their dedicated, enclosed classroom space for each class. With plenty of space for the kids to eat, sleep, play, read and have lessons without being disturbed by other classes. The water play every friday is unique to the centre. If you want, you can also pay for swimming lessons so you need not bring your child to swimming classes over the weekends. They also have "tumble-tots-like" gym play every friday too.

Teachers there seemed experienced and able to manage the kids well. The kids there seemed well behaved. Well it is only my kid's first week there, so there is more to be observed.

One thing I rather like in this centre is the assembly time for N2 to K2. They have assembly time every morning till about 10am. During this time, the kids do the usual national anthem singing, pledge in both languages, the agape centre song with sign language. After that, the kids are given turns to stand in front of other children to 'perform'. Through the one week, the kids took turn to sing in front of the class, or talk in front of the class, while the rest of the kids listen up and patiently wait their turn. I thought it is good exposure for the kids to prepare them for 'public speaking' and such performances train them to be not afraid of standing in front of an audience.

You should visit the centre and have a look to see if you are comfortable.

magg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hihimummy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:14 pm

thanks all for the feedback :) will definitely make a trip there soon.

hihimummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby magg » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:16 pm

Exactly one of the things i am looking for! May i know is there other center in Singapore practise this too?

I also found this out 'by accident'. Cos I was in the assembly for first 3 days with my son cos he was wailing away and I stayed to comfort him. Then realised that the centre do this for the kids. So if this is a important criteria for you, you may wish to ask the principal how they conduct their assembly.

The church kindergarten my son used to go did not have this child performing thingy. Mostly teacher led....

The Agape also provided additional class on speech and drama where parent pay a fee every month. I can't remember but it is about $60 a month.

One of the things I observe when I visit the centres are the kids. Are they disciplined? Are they polite? Are they very afraid of strangers or they are confident to come up to you and say hello and introduce themselves after you smiled at them. This would give you a sense of whether the centre prep the kids to speak and conduct themselves well.

magg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby magg » Tue May 26, 2009 11:05 pm

an update for whoever reads this thread...

I have taken my boy out of Agape One North after he spent 2 months there. The first 2-3 weeks were ok. I started to be concerned about 1 month later when I noticed that he did not seem to have learnt very much in school. How I gauge is whether he sings new songs and tells me about the new things he has learnt which he would share with me whenever he learns new things.

The determining factor was how I witnessed how the teacher scolded my boy as he was not careful in the toilet and wet his pants a little. Of course the teacher was not aware that I had arrived and was standing just outside the toilet.

2 weeks after the incident, the school decided to close the doors to parents and allow only pick up and drop off at the door for the reason of prevention of HFMD. The irony is that there were cases of HFMD after centre administered the close door policy. So I decided to take my boy out of the centre, not because of the HFMD that surfaced but because I was not comfortable with the closed door policy that in the end also did not "prevent" HFMD.

Whoever sending the child to this centre needs to be comfortable with the level of care given according to your own expectations. For me, I have voted with my feet.
:roll:

magg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby luvmum » Thu May 28, 2009 10:55 am

magg wrote:an update for whoever reads this thread...

The determining factor was how I witnessed how the teacher scolded my boy as he was not careful in the toilet and wet his pants a little. Of course the teacher was not aware that I had arrived and was standing just outside the toilet.

Thanks magg for sharing...was actually considering them. Did you confront the teacher why she needs to scold your child? Sometimes this is expected and teacher should be patient instead of being harsh to them.

The closed door policy is suspicious too! :? My girl used to attend a childcare center and they dun impose closed door policy, we can go in anytime and see what the teacher did. Of course we dun make this so often as it is too disruptive. So once in a while, I will come at odd timing and bring her home to catch them unaware though but I'm happy with them for the last 2 years my gal is there. I withdraw her becos the focus on academic is mimimal, I feel... :love:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby merlionkid » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:59 am

magg wrote:2 weeks after the incident, the school decided to close the doors to parents and allow only pick up and drop off at the door for the reason of prevention of HFMD. The irony is that there were cases of HFMD after centre administered the close door policy. So I decided to take my boy out of the centre, not because of the HFMD that surfaced but because I was not comfortable with the closed door policy that in the end also did not "prevent" HFMD.

The HFMD is back again. There have been a few cases since magg's update till now.
A case pops up the week before, and within a week, another new case occurs.
It had been one week since the most recent case.
Yes, the centre still practice the 'closed door' policy during the period that the HFMD virus is still a threat.

There is also a change in the principal position.

The centre now operates on 2 levels, level 6 and level 7.
It used to be that the level 6 kids will be brought up to level 7 at a certain time, level 7 will be the only pick-up point after certain timing for both kids at level 6 & 7. I am not sure it this is still happening during the 'closed door' period. If so, then there is a chance that the HFMD virus may cross-spread between level 6 kids and level 7 kids.

I think the centre organised a 'open house' last weekend. I am puzzle about having the 'open house' during the 'close door' period.

magg wrote:Whoever sending the child to this centre needs to be comfortable with the level of care given according to your own expectations. For me, I have voted with my feet.

magg, I tend to feel the same way.

merlionkid
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wan2bdad » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:52 pm

Anyone know the fees? Thanks

wan2bdad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools