Genius Hive Preschool

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

Genius Hive Preschool

Postby TiggerMummy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:45 am

Hi

Anyone heard of Genius Hive Preschool in Cecil street. It seems to be a newly setup childcare. It uses its own curriculum, unlike those of kinderland or montessori.

Is it important for child care to follow those curriculum that has stand through time? I quite like Genius Hive mainly because of it's principle who seem to be very passionate and the plus point is she is also an owner.

The place is set up such that each room is being used for different function. Example, there is an English room, Chinese room, nero gym etc

Appreciate if anyone, especially those who kids already enrolled there, could feedback on how the Genius Hive is like? Example, the teachers, usefulness of the curriculum etc

Thank you very much.

TiggerMummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Genius Hive Pre-School

Postby MyMiracleChild » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:09 pm

I have a friend whose son is from the pre-school.... I learnt that the centre has imported learning materials from US and UK to enhance a child's learning experience. Oh ya, the principal has > 20 years of early childhood experience in managing reputable child care centres and kindergartens. The teachers are all with experience. The set up is also pleasant, nice, neat and spacious.... guess quite ideal for a child to learn something...

MyMiracleChild
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby hypergatak » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi, I have visited the preschool during their opening. I was impressed with the students' performance, they can recite those Chinese Poems (I think it's the San Zi Jin), given that the preschool only started in Jan this year. I like the cheery and bright atmosphere and the classrooms are spacious, very well thought out renovation, unlike a lot of preschools that squeeze the classrooms around the existing layout. I also understand that they imported the equipment from UK, one of them that I have tried is very interesting and challenging and is supposedly to help children to improve their hands, eyes co-ordination. Can give it a try if the location is convenient as I can feel the passion in the principle when I spoke with her.

hypergatak
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Genius Hive Preschool

Postby Wu MaMa » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:46 am

Could anyone advise it is hard to travel with toddle from West all the way to Raffles place if putting the child into this school? Usually what kind of timing is good?

Wu MaMa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Xiao Mei » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:12 pm

I sent my gal to Genius Hive preschool since this year. She progressed a lot after going there, learning from teachers and interacting with the students there. The founders of the school are very much committed in loving the students. I am glad that I sent my child to this school

Xiao Mei
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby septsg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:43 pm

is there any recent feedback on genius hive as i understand that the principal has changed?

septsg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Kwonana » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi, any one can advise on this school? :rahrah:

Kwonana
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby silly1812 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:45 am

Kwonana wrote:Hi, any one can advise on this school? :rahrah:

Hi, i visited the centre a month ago with the interest to enroll my baby for infant care. I was impressed by it coz the centre was quite clean etc and the price was reasonable as compared to other centre.

Prior to visiting, I called to ask for vacancy, but was told to visit the centre first. So, I went all the way down from my home @ east, together with my baby (coz I am taking care all by myself). During our discussion with the GH's personnel, I was told that there are no vacancy up until end of the year. So naturally I was disappointed, because I mentioned over the phone that if there isn't any vacancy I wouldn't even want to take the effort to travel all the way down. But the personnel say that there is hope coz one of the baby will probably be withdrawn from the infant care, hence I will have a chance to enroll mine. So she told me to wait for her email detailing more information, etc. So we left with hope. :)

Up until today though, we have not receive any single email from her. I tried calling her multiple times for the past week but I'm not sure why it's so difficult to get hold of her. Because of this, I felt that the trip to visit GH was pointless. In fact, it was a waste of time and effort, because that was the exact reason why I wouldn't even bother to visit if there isn't any vacancy. Plus, the fact that they are uncontactable and won't return your call shows that they are not responsible. :(

By the way, this is not the first time we called them up for vacancy. My husband called them in early January, but was told that they will return his call. It never happened. I called them in February and can only fix an appointment for visit in early March. Now after the visit, they are in complete silence.

I'm not sure if everyone else here have the same experience, or maybe it was just my luck that THEY decided not to offer my baby a vacancy? Not sure.

silly1812
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby piggyiling » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi all, I wanted to share my experience with dealing with Genius Hive so far.

I called them in end May/early June to ask if they have vacancy for infantcare for my son who will be 13 months old in Jan 2015. The principal whom I spoke to asked me to come and visit them but I said I would only do so if there was vacancy or it would be a wasted trip. Understandably, she could not confirm on the spot whether there was space then and said that she would need to check and call me back. I naturally said ok, provided my details over the phone and hung up.

No word for 6-8 weeks.

In mid-July I tried calling them again twice but the phone was not picked up, so I decided to just pop by for a visit as they are actually located fairly near my office. I reached at around 1pm, and when the lift door opened I saw a woman sitting there...she saw that I looked kinda lost so she asked me if I was looking for someone. I explained I did not manage to get anyone on the phone to make an appt so decided to just pop by for a visit...would it be ok? Then I just really strange vibes from all the staff I interacted with from then on, which included this lady, who apparently is a staff who only works the afternoon shifts for infantcare. It's a bit hard to explain but I sensed a LOT of judgement/passive-aggressive vibes between them...through their body lang and stuff they said to one another. dunno if the word "politics" can be applied to preschool teachers in a small school but yea it felt like that. So the woman asked someone else to bring me around, but later ended up being the main person trying to answer my questions as well. weird lah. but ok I guess she was trying to be helpful? and perhaps in the absence of any clear leaders at the centre cos no one seemed to be in charge honestly. the 3 teachers I did speak to sort of mentioned it was lunch hour that's why there were fewer ppl ard (???)

Anyway in the centre itself the few children I saw actively moving ard seemed pretty happy. but it was their nap time supposedly so I didn't see much activities. I ended up just asking a few qns and leaving my details as no one there could answer my qn on availability of vacancy still, so they said they will call me back (again), after Wednesday that week (it was Monday) as the principal will be back then.

So I called on that Wednesday and asked to speak to the principal and explained I'd called before, but she did not get back to me, and I'd visited already, and just wanted to know if there is vacancy. She said she was very busy as she had just gotten back from an overseas trip so she will email me all the info I needed to know soon. I requested for clarity if she will email me by that same week or the following week. She promised that same week.

No email.

The following week, on Thursday (today), I called again and asked to speak to the principal again, and explained the situation AGAIN and she definitely sounded like she remembered me. She also sounded very surprised that she had not sent me the email yet (!!!) but did not apologise. This time, she could tell me that they probably only have availability for infantcare from Mar or Apr 2015 onwards, and for childcare (PG stage) next year "should not be a problem". She just said she would email me all the details I needed to know "now" while talking to me, and sounded like she was checking records (my details and my son's details) so before she hung up the phone she said she will definitely be sending me all that I needed to know shortly.

Guess what? Still no email so far (14 hours after I had spoken to her).

I really shudder to think how anyone can consider sending anyone to the school when they keep lying about such small services/actions repeatedly...what more when they tell us what they do with our children on a daily basis?

piggyiling
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Genius Hive Pre-school

Postby Genius Hive Pre-school » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Dear silly 1812 and piggyiling,

First and foremost, on behalf of the school, we would like to apologise for the unpleasant experiences you have with Genius Hive Pre-school. :imsorry:

It was not our intent to purposely see your feedback and use this forum to reach out to both of you. We count ourselves blessed to be informed by one of our existing parents of these comments and encouraged us to do some explanation. On a positive thought (one of our school’s mission – to develop positive thinker), no doubt the feedback is negative, we appreciate both parents in taking interest in Genius Hive Pre-school and taking your time in writing the feedback to remind us to be mindful on our timeliness in response to inquiries.

We are also glad to note that Piggyiling had made the following observations:

1) “few children I saw actively moving ard (“around”) seemed pretty happy”: this is what we want to see in our school --- Children coming to school with a happy mind and heart. :rahrah:

2) “I guess she (referring to “the teacher”) was trying to be helpful”: this is what we encourage our staff to be supportive towards each other in school --- Teamwork (another of our school’s mission – teamwork :grphug: ), regardless whether or not the leader is in school. This might also explain Piggyiling’s experience of having “strange vibes from all the staff I interacted with”. As the key personnel, who usually do presentation to parents, were not around then, the teachers were trying to be helpful to answer your questions but at the same time may have worried about saying the wrong thing (a natural reaction from a teacher). We will further guide our teaching staff how to manage such visit when the key personnel are not around.

Thanks Piggyiling for these observations.

Getting to Know Genius Hive Pre-school: :smile:

Genius Hive Pre-school is a small enterprise and located at Cecil Street (Central Business District area). Our team works towards creating a conducive and happy learning environment for our children, nurturing our children to expand their minds, and allowing our parents to work at ease while the children are in school. These objectives would not be achieved without the teamwork among the school’s staff members, parents and even the children themselves. Hence, management team spends significant time to work on these operation matters. (P/S: I shall leave the details out in this forum as it is not meant to be a marketing tool. We welcome parents to find out more from us separately.)

Genius Hive Pre-school: Infant Care Department :smile:

Our centre is granted only 11 infant care capacity. Throughout the year, all vacancies are taken up. Priority is given to sibling cases. Almost every day, we have phone inquiries on our availability and we have many referral cases too. Due to the significant number of inquiries, we may not have taken care of each inquiry with the necessary and required attention (our apology). Our usual humble reply to most of our parents is “we will try to get back to you as soon as possible when there is a vacancy”. Most of the time, we are unwilling to comment on the next availability as situation changes from time to time, and we do not want to commit a period of availability without being sure about it. There are many occasions we even advised parents to source for alternative centres near our premise.

To all infant care inquired parents, we thank you for your patience with us and understanding towards us, especially to those who have actively follow-up with us on the availability. We would also like to thank those parents who did not “give up” on us and return to us when their children are eligible for playgroup at 18 months.

:thankyou:

Hope the above clarify a little on our infant care situation.

Genius Hive Pre-school
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools