Elfa Serangoon

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

Elfa Serangoon

Postby davemummy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi, any comments on Elfa Serangoon?

davemummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Elfa Serangoon

Postby rainstone » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:25 am

went to view the facility y'day.. environment is not bad. there's a big outdoor playground which is shared with kinderland. though the sch is near to the road side, it's still relatively quiet.

the sch is under crestar so it has its own self designed curriculum and teaching methods. the services offered ranges from infant care to kindergarten. they only have 1 infant class which has 8 babies and their toddler class is reserved for the babies from infant care. so if you are looking for a toddler class like me, will have to go on waiting list.

the person we spoke to told us that the sch focus on EL and CL is 50-50%. the only additional enrichment class which is charged separately is the english speech and drama. the rest are more or less incorporated into the curriculum.

we are quite happy with the set up and have placed our daughter on waiting list. hopefully, there'll be a vacancy for us next yr...

rainstone
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby totinmum » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 am

Hi,
May I know how old is your child?
My girl is now 16 mths now. I want to enrol her asap in 2012.
But Elfa Serangoon told me highly unlikely to have any vacancy till 2014...and thats only maybe...
any other places are you all looking at around this area?

totinmum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby rainstone » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:22 pm

my girl is 14 mths old.. we were told that unless someone from infant will not continue to the toddler's class, if not slim chance..

anyway, i've enrolled my girl into mindchamps citysquare mall.. we visited discovery gardens and carpediem at hill top but both centres are full as well..

rainstone
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nms1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:39 pm

Just to add that once they move into the pre-nursery class i.e. the year that they turn 3 years old, the class size will be increased so more places become available. If you like the school I would suggest staying on the waiting list in case you haven't found a good alternative by then or if you want to move for some reason.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mamasesame » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:18 pm

I called up the sch once n wasn't impressed by their lack of knowledge n the fact that the person who answered my calls spoke in mandarin.

Any latest feedback from parents who hv sent your little ones there? :)

mamasesame
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nms1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 pm

mamasesame wrote:I called up the sch once n wasn't impressed by their lack of knowledge n the fact that the person who answered my calls spoke in mandarin.

Any latest feedback from parents who hv sent your little ones there? :)

Some of their Chinese teachers are from China and their English is limited so that may be who you spoke to. The admin person was probably out at lunch or away.

If you don't speak Chinese don't worry - when I've had to talk to one of them without my husband there they have always found someone to translate.

All three of my children have been/go there and I don't have any complaints. Go and take a look around for yourself. They have plenty of space including a playground at the front and smaller ones at the back for the younger children and for water play. They have optional classes for art at the moment. They have recently incorporated the speech and drama classes into the curriculum; it used to a chargeable extra.

They did have a bit of staff turnover about 2 years ago but it seems to have settled down now. The two most senior teachers will usually teach the K1 and K2 classes to make sure they are prepared for P1.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mamasesame » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:33 pm

The one I spoke to is local. But u are right. I shall visit the centre :))

mamasesame
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Khamullotr » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi,
Can I check if elfa is a cheaper version of kinderland? Since both is own by Crestar.
Any parents with kids there? Are the teachers good?.

Khamullotr
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nms1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:09 am

Khamullotr wrote:Hi,
Can I check if elfa is a cheaper version of kinderland? Since both is own by Crestar.
Any parents with kids there? Are the teachers good?.

Cheaper version of Kinderland? Maybe....no, I don't think so.

From what I was told Crestar originally set up Elfa Childrens Place in China. It was then imported back into Singapore. The Chinese programme is based on the programme that they use in their schools in China. It is possible that some of the English programme may be borrowed from Kinderland but it is supposed to be their own curriculum.

I have been happy with them. My P3 daughter was there from N2 onwards; she enjoyed her time at Elfa and was well-prepared for P1. They do not try to pre-teach the P1 curriculum which is something that some CCs do but they focus on making sure that the children have the basics in place. I would say that it requires some support from home in terms of reading but I assume that is the case everywhere.

In K2 they cover the basics of fractions, time and money in order to prepare them for P1. My K2 son recently went on a visit to a local primary school and they had to learn how to count their money before they went so that they could buy food in the canteen.

For Chinese, they have mainly China Chinese teachers who speak limited English which means that they rarely use English with the children. I notice that in my daughter's time they didn't teach hardly any hanyu pinyin in K2 but my son has already started.

They run regular school trips - once every 2 months - to see plays, to the zoo, health promotion board, local post office etc. The lessons incorporate a lot of hands-on exercises - making popcorn and Milo, experiments with flashlights, planting seeds etc.

They now run English and Chinese speech & drama classes as part of the curriculum run by Crestar teachers. They have an optional (chargeable) art class run in Chinese also by a Crestar teacher.

One thing I should mention is that they do have a couple of Filipina teachers. Personally I think that they are both very good but I know some people are not so comfortable with the idea. They both speak very good English, in fact better than a lot of Singaporean CC teachers I have met, as long as you can accept the slight accent. My son was taught by one of them last year and I was impressed by the discipline she maintained in the class and her diligence in tracking and supporting the childrens' work.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools