Advice on approaching teacher

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

Advice on approaching teacher

Postby riash » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:59 pm

My 4 yr old has mentioned on at least 3 occaisions that his teacher calls him and other students 'stupid'. I dismissed most of the instances but I am starting to wonder if its true. How can i tell? Should I speak with the teacher or the principal? I hope to do this in a diplomatic way. Anyone has experiences or ideas?

riash
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Advice on approaching teacher

Postby Expatmum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:23 am

riash wrote:My 4 yr old has mentioned on at least 3 occaisions that his teacher calls him and other students 'stupid'. I dismissed most of the instances but I am starting to wonder if its true. How can i tell? Should I speak with the teacher or the principal? I hope to do this in a diplomatic way. Anyone has experiences or ideas?

YES YES YES! I hope the teacher does not call him STUPID. But do remember there is a difference in saying something or an action is stupid than calling someone stupid. I personally do not like that word but I do know others that use it to describe an action rather than name calling. If anything is worrying you - you should always speak to the teachers. :smile:

Expatmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Funz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:34 am

You can simply approach the teacher on the basis on clarifying what your son said. Just say your son mentioned that and since at home you have been teaching your kid that 'stupid' is not a good word to be using on people you have to figure out a way to explain it to him. As such you need to understand the context in which the teacher is using the word in order to explain to your son.

DD told me about a prank her friend played on another friend. I told her that was a really dangerous and stupid prank. DS heard me using stupid and went like orh hor you called her friend stupid. Had to explain to him the difference.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby davidwatson1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Straightway approach the principal and inform her about this.

davidwatson1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools