Discovery Garden

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

Discovery Garden

Postby Watch » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Discovery Garden increase fees by 20% in just a year. Help, mcys pls take action

Watch
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Discovery Garden

Postby Watch » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am

Hi,

Any parents from Discovery Garden?? How do you feel about the fees increase?? Any feedback? From what I understand, the fees increase for the existing students are the same as the new students, do you think it is fair for the existing students??? Whereby one year ago we actually agreed with the fees, that's why i signed up.

At that time, they didn't have many students. Should I say they used a lower fees at a start to attract students and now they have quite a handful of students so they jerk up their fees. This is definitely very unfair towards the existing students. Understand that many other centres, they actually keep to the minimium for their existing students and of course a new fees for the new students.

Why don't they set their going to be fees at the start?? Don't you think they are playing prank!! Why isn't MCYS controlling on that?? Especially for newly set up centre?

Watch
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ManjaMama » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:05 am

My child attends at DG. A few of the parents felt that the raise in school fees are unjustifiable and not so keen to continue. What if they raise every year and our child has got used to the environment? We probably end up paying them whatever the raise is because of the hassle to look for another. Extra $2400 per annum. That's a lot of money, can send them to better CCC. The attraction is the open field and new set up and I don't find their teachers experience enough. I mean if I pay more, I expect more, like external teachers, activities, better meals, experience teachers,etc.
$2400 to maintain their big field?? Really does not make sense. 1 parent joked probably want to change new car or give more bonus to teachers since we are not given any reason and they have the rights. I'm already thinking of how to save cost or better still...move on?

ManjaMama
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Watch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi Manjamama,

Nice to hear from you. I totally agreed with you, we are paying basically for the open field. Their teachers and cirriculums are nothing fantastic, with that amount of fees, i think we can enrol our child to a much reputatable CCC.

Watch
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby GivingTree » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:33 am

Agree with you... I'm most upset and have protested twice, but have not received any replies to address my concerns. Fee increase is 28% after subsidy... how to tahan?? My salary has not increased in 4 years in spite of inflation and infact is being reduced since I'm cutting down hours. I'm upset to receive another unilateral email from school yesterday. Didn't MCYS recommend fee increase only at start of academic year, not in the midst of it? Also, the principal seems to be "MIA" ever since the fee increase was announced.

What other CCCs are you considering?

GivingTree
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ManjaMama » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Yah,she MIA. Don't know who is supervising now. Even the young supervisor Nicole is seldom around nowadays. The china teacher always around though..got to ask someone to translate cos she don't speak English.
I'm still looking around the area and will keep parents updated if I come across suitable ones. Some centres already informed us the increase will be next year 2013, ranging frm $70 to abt $100. Still acceptable cos they are experienced teachers, established cccs and most important they are honest n open abt the increase...unlike DG. But then again, they have the rights, rite? We have a choice, rite? $1200 for reputable school sounds ok...u tink DG reputable after 1 year since it opens?

ManjaMama
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Watch » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Ya, salary increment only 2%, but fees increment is 20%, how to balance? How to cope?

I'm really upset too, I just feel that they are not honest and irresponsible. This is the first time that I come across a ccc increase their fees so high and furthermore within such a short period.

Watch
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ManjaMama » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:33 am

Watch
Agree. So short notice and why can't she wait till 2013? So irresponsible towards us. Can't imagine if they increase in future or close down. So infuriating..

ManjaMama
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Bethel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 am

Is the fee increase applicable for both their centres? Or is it just the 701 YCK centre?
I already find their current $700 (after subsidy) very ex. Didnt know that they are increasing it until i stumbled upon this thread.
I already enrolled my girl at their Cactus Centre a few months ago to secure a place when my girl turns 18 mths. Looks like i might have to reconsider. :(

Bethel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Bethel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:33 am

Ok i just checked their website.
The fee increase is only applicable to the hilltop branch. But i guess very soon the cactus branch will also increase. *sigh*
Any mummies here send their kid to the cactus branch?
What are your reviews?

Bethel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools