The Odyssey Creative Learning Centre

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

The Odyssey Creative Learning Centre

Postby Lynn2 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:32 pm

Original Title: THE ODYSSEY CREATIVE LEARNING CENTRE PTE LTD

Hi mummies

Anyone send your child to the above?

Can you share with me your experience?thank you.

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ttl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:11 pm

hi,

I hope that my reply is not too late.

My son(20mths) is currently in the tots class at Odyssey in Wilkinson Road. He has been there for 1mth now. My son seems to enjoy himself in school as there are lots of activites and they have field trips like 2-3 times a year. The teachers and adminstrators are rather friendly and helpful.

And if you are looking for a school which emphasizes on 'learn thru play" and project- based, this is the school! However, if you are looking for those academic learning, I do not think this school is suitable.

The really PLUS point of this school is that its SPACIOUS and CLEAN! I have visited a few other preschools before deciding on this. Odyssey comes out TOPS in the CLEANLINESS category.

By the way, how old is your child?

ttl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Joy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:32 am

Thanks for the reply

Hey, can check with you what is not so academic aspect in the school?Is it very much difference from kinderland?thanks

ttl wrote:hi,

I hope that my reply is not too late.

My son(20mths) is currently in the tots class at Odyssey in Wilkinson Road. He has been there for 1mth now. My son seems to enjoy himself in school as there are lots of activites and they have field trips like 2-3 times a year. The teachers and adminstrators are rather friendly and helpful.

And if you are looking for a school which emphasizes on 'learn thru play" and project- based, this is the school! However, if you are looking for those academic learning, I do not think this school is suitable.

The really PLUS point of this school is that its SPACIOUS and CLEAN! I have visited a few other preschools before deciding on this. Odyssey comes out TOPS in the CLEANLINESS category.

By the way, how old is your child?

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

ODYSSEY or any other schools

Postby lynn roger » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:07 pm

Hello, my girl joined Odyssey Alexandra since June and I must say I am really pleased with her adjustment. The principal, teachers, children, and other parents there are wonderful. I highly recommend this school if you are looking for a place where your child can grow and learn at her own pace and you get regular and genuine feedback from the class teachers.

lynn roger
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ttl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:33 am

Hi Joy,

I have not visited Kinderland before, so I'm not such how the classes are conducted there.

As for Odyssey, personally I feel that they are more into 'learn thru play' and if im not wrong, they do not have 'ting xie' or spelling even when in K1 or K2. And there is no homework as well. Their classrooms are more of a fun, creative environment which I feel that children will have no problems adapting to. Thus, they are not those type of serious 'academic' type of environment.

I'm not sure if I was able to answer your question. Maybe you might like to visit the school. The principal and adminstrator are very friendly people.

ttl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby JR mum » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi ttl,

I visited Odyssey at Wilkinson too. I also like the space and cleanliness at Odyssey. My boy is now 18 mos and I am sourcing for a good childcare centre for him. I have also checked out Shaws at Mountbatten and pretty pleased with their cleanliness and also its non air-conditioned (though it can gets pretty warm if weather is hot). If i remember correctly, Odyssey is semi air-conditioned? I actually prefer childcare that is not air-conditioned all the time. Have u checked out Shaws before deciding on Odyssey? How abt Brighton Montessori at Fort Rd? Heard mixed comments on Brighton...anyway, the waitlist is very long...till next yr. Appreciate your comments.

Also welcome comments and advice from others whose child is with any of these childcare in the East. thanks

JR mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ttl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:37 pm

hi JR mum,

Oh.. if you do indeed join Odyssey, ur son will be in the same class as mine! They only have 1 tots class at moment and I must say their main teacher, Alice is terrific! She is very helpful and friendly. One thing that I really appreciate is that she will take photos of the kids doing their activites in class during the week. She will then post all these onto her facebook account which we will check weekly! I really look forward to her updates cos I can tell from the pics how my son is doing. And the kids always look like they have so much fun in school! I must say that this school creates a very fun environment for the kids.

As for the air-con portion, actually they will stay in their air-con classrooms most of the time unless they go for their outdoor activites and their arts & crafts classes. So, I will say 70% of their time are spent in air-con rooms.

I did not went to see Shaw because I do not like the location of the school. If I did not recall wrongly, its along the main road and there is some construction going on in the houses next to it, rite? I also did not check out Brighton because I heard some negative reviews about it.

I went to see Eton@Mountbatten which I rejected cos I do not find the center supervisor friendly or helpful at all. But I heard that they have changed the supervisor already. Plus I find the classrooms in the school alittle small. I too went to see Chiltern House @ big Splash (to enter in 2010) but also not very keen on the school. Cos I again do not find the staff friendly.

Hmm, I think I am quite particular about the attitude and friendliness of the staffs in the school. Cos I like to know how my child is doing and coping in school. And I tink if the teachers are not friendly to talk to or have the willingness to share how the children are coping, it will be difficult for me to know.

Hope that this helps you.

ttl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby JR mum » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:57 pm

TTL,

Thanks for the valuable feedback on Odyssey and the teacher, Alice.
Yes, shaws at mountbatten is along the main road and you are absolutely right about the construction going on next to it. I understand a lot of people are put off by it being along the main road... I ok with it along main road so long as the security and safety of the child is well taken care of.

I did not check out Eton as heard negative feedback. checked out Chiltern but they only do playgroup for such young tots. But I am actually looking for childcare.

Is your son attending half or full day session? Has he have all the necessary immunisation eg pneumoccal, MMR and etc? I am still debating on when exactly should i send him to childcare so that at least he has a certain level of his own immunity.

JR mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ttl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi,

My son is only attending the halfday childcare. I sent him to school is more of for him to have some learning activities and learn to be on his own without us being around. He has already completed all his immunisations(MMR,pneumoccal, chicken pox) for 18mths. He even received a cert from his PD on his completion! hehe.

Actually, I think its more advisable for him to complete all these immunisations before starting school just in case he caught some potent virus and his immune system is unable to fight on its own yet. Just my 2cents's worth.

ttl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby JR mum » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:15 pm

Wow!! completed all immunisation within 18mos!

Eh..seems like I am slow in his immunisation schedule...(but thought usu people go for 1 jab for pneumoccal when the child turns 2?) I am trying to minimise the nos of jabs if not necessary as my son hates to visit his PD...

Yes, I also think its better for him to complete all the necessary immunisation before attending childcare as viruses are getting stronger these days..

Thanks

JR mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools