How do I know my child is ready for preschool/nursery

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

How do I know my child is ready for preschool/nursery

Postby iggy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:34 pm

Thinking of starting my child in some form of structured learning environment. How do I know that she is ready for it?

iggy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How do I know my child is ready for preschool/nursery

Postby Expatmum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:16 am

iggy wrote:Thinking of starting my child in some form of structured learning environment. How do I know that she is ready for it?

I would go with your mother's instinct. This is a really natural progression. Your child may start to seem a little bored and express and want to do other things. If your child is shy and withdrawn I would say she is not quite ready. I hope this helps :smile:

Expatmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:34 pm

i would say, if she is not too shy with new friends, she should be ready...

no kid should be diagnosed as whether they are ready or not as they have different approaches... even if she is ready, she may still have some reservations/unusual responses...

kids have their own way to adapt to as well as reject any form of new changes... after a while, they should be alright with the new changes, parents should not be afraid to try them out or over worry about whether they can adapt or not...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:38 pm

my fren self coach her dd since 3yo and she was a bright gal... she could read many nursery rhymes and simple storybooks by herself... we thought that she may need more advanced learning until she was placed in kindy at 5yo, she refused to go to sch and cried whenever her teacher calls her.. after 4 mths, she was still like tat and my fren was advised by a doc that she may hv neglected the interactions of her dd with other children... which was true as my fren nv brought her out to play in any places where she can play with others.. when she brings her to a playground, my fren would bring her to the different rides and play with her, when other kids are there to play, her dd will suddenly be so frightened and my fren will bring her away, also afraid that other kids may accidentally hurt her..

den she realise there is little that she could do at the kindy and she quit.. starting to bring her out to others' birthday parties and playgrounds to interact with other kids until 6mths later when she was better, before she enrol in a childcare and continue her kindy... btw, her dd delayed a yr as she rejoin the k1 students in the following yr... so she is 1 yr elder than her peers in sch now...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ran1977 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:12 am

Hi parents, for those of you who are interested - Katong Modern Montessori International (MMI) located at Katong Shopping Centre is having a Parents Day Tea Party from 10am to 12noon on Saturday, 17th Nov at its premises.
They will be activities for the kids while parents will be invited for talks
If you are interested, please call them at 63442997 asap to register:)

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby iggy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:15 am

Thanks for your advice. My child enjoys "reading" and it is one of the few activities that she is willing to engage in. I wont say she is bored reading but I would think that getting her to experiment with other forms of play would be healthy. My earlier attempts on my own werent very successful and perhaps she will be more willing to try in a group.
Verykiasumummy- its good that your friend pulled back and rebuilt her child's confidence in a less intimitadting environment. of my motivation is also to allow her to interact with other children as she is the only child in the extended family.

iggy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools