International Young Learners Conference by Lorna Whiston Sch

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

International Young Learners Conference by Lorna Whiston Sch

Postby mistori » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi,
My kid just started playgroup and I heard that they are organizing a conference... happening this Saturday. Anyone going? I am thinking of going... I know, very ks right?? Given that he just turn 2 :roll:

I am debating between on whether to attend the session on Hands on Reading or Pre-reading skills: what are they and how can we develop them using innovative methods? Hands on Reading seems like something I can pick up tips about reading to my boy (ok... kiasu knows no bounds :boogie: )
... but isn't it good to have practical tips on how I can help prep my boy in a fun way to prep him for reading later on??

Advice anyone?

mistori
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: International Young Learners Conference by Lorna Whiston

Postby mistori » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:40 pm

Ok, I went to the conference. Cost me $130 as I missed the early bird. But never mind :sad:

But my gosh!!! :yikes:

THE goody bag floored me! :rotflmao: The first bag (there were two!! Can you believe that?!) was given during registration and it was full!! Filled with... let me list... just for the benefits of all others out there... a box containing 12 sachets (26g) of OsteoMilk, a pack of 4 whiteboard markers (low odour & clean erase/ non-toxic), a Reader's Digest magazine, Parents magazine, Home+Living magazine, The Singapore's Women Weekly, Read Better-Write Better: A Literacy Resource Booklet for Teachers and Parents, 2 Scholastic story books, a rather smart looking plastic leaf-file with notepaper within, a nicely packed stationery pack, brochures from Starcruize and a cute bunny rabbit deco.

The second goody bag, :rahrah: given at the end of the conference, has a nice sturdy Scholastic tote bag, a 750 ml bottle of Heinz apple and cranberry fruit drink, a catalogue from Oxford...hmm...flipping through it, there's lots of books and cds I can check out for my boy :moneyflies: ...ok, will update everyone as a separate topic in Forum. :moneyflies:

ok, about that conference, at last :imcool:

Concurrent sessions...!!! Decisions. Decisions. Decisions. So hard to choose.

I went for (1) My Teacher is a Spaceman! by Nick Cheadle
(2) Hands on Reading by Andrew Shewbert
(3) Asian Content for Asian Kids by Shamini Flint
(4) Holistic phonics by Mina Patel

Of course, I also attended both opening and closing plenary sessions. The opening plenary was amusing, the closing one a bit "chim" (or may be because it has been a bit of a long day... and my brain is running low on batts) :shrug:

(1) My Teacher is a Spaceman! by Nick Cheadle
Fun and amusing!! I am going to sign my boy up for speech and drama class when I think he is old enough. I can now... hmm... attempt to read my stories more in-character during bedtime to my little darling... it will definitely aid his listening comprehension and in time, he will be a good reader, too.

(2) Hands on Reading by Andrew Shewbert
A bit unexpected and don't quite know how to best described this. I saw lots of examples of online programmes (in Mandarin, and suitable for kids learning mandarin in a fun and interactive way, kind of remind me of some facebook games) that the speaker used to illustrate how teachers could extend children's learning with the aid of technology...It went a little over my head :shrug:

Key message that I understood and took away from the speaker... technology aids learning but it cannot replace the teacher within the classroom.

(3) Asian Content for Asian Kids by Shamini Flint
A possible bit of tactical error here...I now know where I can get Sasha books written in local context for my boy if I wish to buy them...and I have met the author, too. :roll:

(4) Holistic phonics by Mina Patel
Interesting, interactive, amusing and fun. ... But a bit difficult to do with my son...at age two :scratchhead:

I didn't win any lucky draw prizes... there were ten. Top prize was a star cruize cruise worth $2500 for family of 4. :roll:

The swenson ice cream sampling was kind of like a nice dessert to end the LONG Long day.

mistori
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools