Classes for 18M with delayed walking & speech

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

Classes for 18M with delayed walking & speech

Postby PrincessPrince » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi Mummies..
My son is now 18M and have yet to be able to walk on his own.
He can crawl very fast and walk assisted however not for long as he is diagnosed with flat foot.
Ive asked for referral to KKH as being very worried for him and haf jz went for e 1st theraphy.

At the same tym, my son is also diagnosed with delayed speech as he only babbles now and unable to point/say his body parts nor at least 10 vocabs. Will be going for 1st speech therapy nx week.

Im very very worried and sad for him which make me kinda stress sumtyms. :pray:
Appreciate it so so much if any Mummies here whom share your experience for delayed walking / speech or recommend good teachers / centres for my son.. :thankyou:

PrincessPrince
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Classes for 18M with delayed walking & speech

Postby PrincessPrince » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Btw my son can understand some instruction and when he watched his fav cartoon shows, he can smile and laff at them.. :)

PrincessPrince
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Roberta » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:16 pm

You are unnecessarily stressing yourself and wasting your money. Your son's behaviour is entirely within the normal range. There is far too much pressure these days, especially in Singapore, for kids to do things "early". They do them when they are ready.

Roberta
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Roberta wrote:You are unnecessarily stressing yourself and wasting your money. Your son's behaviour is entirely within the normal range. There is far too much pressure these days, especially in Singapore, for kids to do things "early". They do them when they are ready.

I agree. My older daughter was a very fast crawler too and didn't walk until 18mths. I was told that some kids who crawl fast can't be bothered to walk as they will be slower initially! Just keep encouraging - we started putting my daughter's toys higher up so she had to pull to standing to get them, and got her to hold our hands and walk as much as possible. Same for speech - my daughter only spoke just before her 2nd birthday. We were told that as long as she didn't have hearing problems (we had her tested around 18mths) and could understand what we said to her, we should just be patient. Once she started talking, she was using sentences within a very short time.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dazzle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm

My son also does not speak more than 10 vacobs at 18 mths. At first I am like you, kind of worried but my mum said my grandfather only start speaking at 4 yrs old so maybe it runs in the family. Though my grandfather start speaking late in life, he is good with languages. As for my son, true enough, he eventually start speaking more after that. He is 12 now and once in a while, I wish he will talk less. In your case, maybe wait a little while longer instead of sending him to therapy.
One point to note is that if your son can say a few words, check whether he is able to pronounce clearly words that needs to roll his tongue, eg. words start with 'r' . I came across a 6 yr old kid who has this problem when I was in a volunteer programme to help kids to read. I noticed this and brought it to the attention the person-in-charge. His problem was diagnosed and he undergo speech therapy to correct his speech problem.
Last edited by Dazzle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzle
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby PrincessPrince » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi Mummy Roberta..
Yup I gas its the peer pressure :(

Hi Mummy slmkhoo..
Thanx for e advice. Will put the toys higher to encourage this exercise..
Btw before ur gal can talk at 2, is she able to say any words before that?
My son cant even utter any word yet.

PrincessPrince
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Dazzle wrote:One point to note is that if your son can say a few words, check whether he is able to pronounce clearly words that needs to roll his tongue, eg. words start with 'r' . I came across a P1 kid who has this problem when I was in a volunteer programme to help kids to read. I noticed this and brought it to the attention the person-in-charge and eventually he was enrolled in speech therapy to correct his speech problem.

However, don't panic now as your son is almost certainly not going to be able to pronounce all sounds accurately now. The average age for producing all the speech sounds of English (especially 'r', 'th' and some others) is around 5yo, and not getting them until about 6-7yo is still considered normal.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PrincessPrince » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi Mummy Dazzle..
As far as Ive known des no genetic issues on either side of my family which I gas dats make me worry as my 1st dotter is fast beyond the milestone.
Dun mind can share ur tips in "teaching" ur son to words?

PrincessPrince
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Dazzle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:00 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Dazzle wrote:One point to note is that if your son can say a few words, check whether he is able to pronounce clearly words that needs to roll his tongue, eg. words start with 'r' . I came across a P1 kid who has this problem when I was in a volunteer programme to help kids to read. I noticed this and brought it to the attention the person-in-charge and eventually he was enrolled in speech therapy to correct his speech problem.

However, don't panic now as your son is almost certainly not going to be able to pronounce all sounds accurately now. The average age for producing all the speech sounds of English (especially 'r', 'th' and some others) is around 5yo, and not getting them until about 6-7yo is still considered normal.

What I mentioned is my personal experience. I am no speech expert. Agree that it may still be normal for not being able to pronounce words with 'r' or 'th' at 6 yrs old. Initially I thought this kid was not taught the proper way of pronouncing but I found he still have problem after being taught. In any case, I don't see any harm to bring to the attention his problem so that he can be assessed by the experts/professionals and have it corrected before it is too late. My opinion is that it is best to have it corrected as they start primary school education.

Dazzle
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dazzle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:10 pm

PrincessPrince wrote:Hi Mummy Dazzle..
As far as Ive known des no genetic issues on either side of my family which I gas dats make me worry as my 1st dotter is fast beyond the milestone.
Dun mind can share ur tips in "teaching" ur son to words?

I am afraid I don't have any tips on this issue. I believe what my mum said, that he will eventually talk when he is ready. He just surprised me one day when my husband and I brought him to visit a playgroup. It was around CNY time and the place was nicely done up. Suddenly he point to the deco and said 'NICE'. That was really a pleasant surprise, we didn't even teach him this word!! I am still puzzle where he learn it. We decided to let him attend the playgroup there and eventually he speaks more. Maybe because he has so many little friends that. At home, there is only the maid and him when we are at work. So perhaps having playmates to interact and talk to him helps a bit.

Dazzle
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools