Eager Beaver Schoolhouse

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

Eager Beaver Schoolhouse

Postby Fion Loh » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:50 am

Original Title: EAGER BEAVER SCHOOLHOUSE @ SAFRA Mt Faber

Hi, can any kind mummies/daddies who has children that has or are attending Eager Beaver @ Mt Faber please share your experiences with me. Thanks so much. :)

Fion Loh
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: EAGER BEAVER SCHOOLHOUSE @ SAFRA Mt Faber

Postby jo.ong » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:46 pm

Fion Loh wrote:Hi, can any kind mummies/daddies who has children that has or are attending Eager Beaver @ Mt Faber please share your experiences with me. Thanks so much. :)

Hi Fion, my gals are attending the childcare. What do you want to know... they will be moving out from safra effectively end of Dec 09. New location at Bukit Merah Central.

jo.ong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby zp1503 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:58 pm

yah, the premises will be taken over by Nurture Stars, partners of Kinderland.

zp1503
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jo.ong » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:25 pm

insider wrote:This one the licensing history is unhealthy coz for the past 4 years only granted 12 months per renewal for every renewal (not difficult to get 24 months licence usually coz those criteria needed by MCYS are not really tough in a way).

One of the key reasons maybe they have insufficient qualified staff. Interested parents may want to enquire more into this area if want to register with them...

Not to sure if it really bothers you on licensing history but the school environment is good. My gals are there and yes , turnover rate is high especially last year but come on, other childcare schools are facing the same high turnover.

Again, insufficient qualified staff are the same for most of the childcare centres.

jo.ong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jo.ong » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:07 am

insider wrote:Nice environment no use if there is not enough staff or not enough qualified staff to manage the kids. Under staffed situation may mean higher rate of accidents in a centre.

Many centres are also facing staffing issues but many still have no such issue of having licence renewed consecutively only for 12 months (meaning if over a stretch of years, one of the years received 12 months may be OK but consecutively is worrying...)

Anyway, they shifting out to Jalan Bukit Merah and so may have to track their licensing again when it expires (cannot be forever 12 months. 12 months licence is given to those meeting almost the bare minimum...).

I think environment is important for the kids. Childcare centres are always faced with under staffed or qualified staff. Having enough staff may not necessary mean less accidents. My sister placed her 22 mths' son at one of the childcare centres in town, very qualified and well staffed in the school. The son always come back with bruises but the school did not bother to call his parents. Always told my sister the "bruises" are mosquitoes bite. :|

As for licensing, I think I will leave it to the school to explain why they are granted 12 months instead of longer period. This school has other branches too - Yishun and Clementi.

jo.ong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ejjj1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi,

I am planning to put both my kids in EB next month.
They will be in N2 & K1 respectively. One of my concerns is their curriculums. It seems that they do not have 'systematic' approach to prepare the K1 & K2 classes for primary school.
For eg. there is no readers program, phonics, simple spellings or even exams. I am wondering how the kids learn how to read & write simple English & Chinese.

They do have enrichment programs for Speech & Drama (English & Mandarin). Are they useful?

How is the food menu? Are they still having shortage of teachers issues?

On the other hand, there seems to be a long waiting list to get in. :? Can you share some light why you choose this child care centre?

Many thanks! :lol:

ejjj1
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jo.ong » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:18 pm

ejjj1 wrote:Hi,

I am planning to put both my kids in EB next month.
They will be in N2 & K1 respectively. One of my concerns is their curriculums. It seems that they do not have 'systematic' approach to prepare the K1 & K2 classes for primary school.
For eg. there is no readers program, phonics, simple spellings or even exams. I am wondering how the kids learn how to read & write simple English & Chinese.

They do have enrichment programs for Speech & Drama (English & Mandarin). Are they useful?

How is the food menu? Are they still having shortage of teachers issues?

On the other hand, there seems to be a long waiting list to get in. :? Can you share some light why you choose this child care centre?

Many thanks! :lol:

They are using letterland. Speech & Drama seems very popular as my gals both enjoyed and looking forward.

My younger gal in N2 this year can spell many words... thanks to her fabulous dedicated teacher! :love: She can read too :). My elder one in K1 can spell and read too. I would still think alot of effort comes from parents, not teacher.

There are proper allocation of teachers' ratio to the number of students. Honestly, the ratio is much better than those in non-childcare kindergarten. Hope this helps.

jo.ong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

How is the student to teacher ratio?

Postby jellybnzw » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:13 pm

What is the child to student ratio like?

jellybnzw
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How is the student to teacher ratio?

Postby jo.ong » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:11 am

The K1 class is about 1 : 14 or 15 and N2 is about 1 : 12...

jo.ong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Safra - Yishun (Eager Beaver Sch Hse) - Fire Drill Concern

Postby DexterM » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:35 am

Hi,

I would like to voice out my concern regarding how the school/organiser/teachers handle the situation this morning during a fire drill at Safra (Yishun)
During the exercise,
1) only few teachers were around to lead the children to the assembly area, did not see the perm admin staff or more helpers
2) children were told by teacher in charge not to wear any shoes when they walk from school to assembly area
3) teachers wear shoes, except one
4) Participants - 90% made out of children from the school.

My concern,
1) The path from the school to the assembly area is extremely rough and not suitable to walk on without wearing any shoe, even for adult. There is once I try to move my wheel stationarily and end up punctuated my tyre.
2) The exercise is to prepare the participant where to go during fire drill, but during peace time, the participant(children from school house) risked hurting themselves during the participation without enough teacher/organiser to look after the children
3) The school is well informed about the exercise before this morning, at least 1 day in advance
a. Did not prepare the parent for it. This caused inconvenient to the parent when they need to park their car further away from the school
b. Did not prepare the children such as not wearing shoe throughout the exercise
The teacher told me that the children did not wear shoe is to prepare them for the real thing, I think this is not acceptable during peace time exercise. I saw some kid is really uncomfortable when they trying to remove sand and small stone on their feet, when waiting at the assembly area.

FYI, also quite disappointed how the inefficient the school communicated to the parent when the children change classes during Dec 09.

DexterM
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools