Bright kids punggol force feeding infant

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

Bright kids punggol force feeding infant

Postby Kiaseemum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:33 am

I was passing by the centre, in Edgefield today, saw from the window a
Prc teacher who was force feeding an infant.
Sitting behind and literally forcing her to eat, there was crying and obvious distress.
Who can I raise this to?

Kiaseemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Bright kids punggol force feeding infant

Postby brightkids infant care » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:38 pm

We are sadden to hear the above incident and we will be conduct our private investigation on the above matter

brightkids infant care
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Kiaseemum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:52 pm

brightkids infant care wrote:We are sadden to hear the above incident and we will be conduct our private investigation on the above matter

Hi,
I did see a teacher sitting nearby the window force feeding an infant in a chair.
I noticed you were quite busy w visitors in the office.
I think you shd investigate and ensure your children are being cared for appropriately.
Very sad for the parents who trust your teachers

Kiaseemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby brightkids infant care » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:24 pm

I regret to hear such incident in my Centre. As you can see the Centre adopts an open concept where all the windows are not covered and all shelves and partitions allow open supervision and in view of the public, we definitely would not do something that is not appropriate towards all the children. Moreover the Centre takes the safety of children seriously, and would not allow such thing to happen. As the remark you have posted in the forum is a serious matter to us, we welcome you to have a meet up in my office so that I can get more information from you in order to assist us in the investigation. From my inquiry, there are two possible situations, but I do not know which one is the one that you are referring to. 

Do allow me to explain some situations that we face in the infant care. When we introduce solids for the infants during the weaning stage, we adopt a gradual approach. A meal can consist of both solids and milk with the ratio of solid starting from low. Then, as the baby adapts well, we will increase the ratio of solids.  Some babies take more time to get used to the solids. They would cry and throw tantrum and reject the food.
It would be easier for the carer to just give up feeding or throw away the food and substitute the meal with milk every time the baby rejects the food. I am sure no one wants to see / make a baby cry. 
However, it is also important for the carers to try coaxing the baby to take a little of solids so that they gradually accepts the food. With the request from some parents at times, our teachers also have to finish feeding the meal.
Similarly, another situation would be when babies cry and want teachers to carry but some parents would specifically request teachers not to carry the child too often for fear that they would be too clingy at home. So teachers facing this situation would try to distract the baby with toys or other activity. Nevertheless, the carers also bear in mind not to have the children social-emotional development be affected negatively. Some cases are successful, some cases are not. If the child continues to cry, then the teachers would carry the child. Some babies will really cry till they are being carried. Should a second episode occurs, the teacher will still go through the whole process, i.e, directing child to an activity first then only give in if it is not successful. Then teachers will reflect on their strategies and share their observation with the parents to work out some solutions.  
So similarly, when teachers face difficulty feeding the babies, teachers will feedback to the parents and work with the parents to see what can be done to improve the situation.

We look forward for your call to arrange a meet up with us. I can be contacted at 68756332.
Hope to hear from you soon.

brightkids infant care
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby anewmummy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:12 am

Dear bright kids infant care. I stumble upon this post and thought that perhaps I should highlight certain things that I have observed when I send my child to your infant care earlier this year.

I feel that the teachers at Bright Kids are not caring enough. For young infants at your infant care, they are placed and strapped onto the bouncer the entire day. There isn't any activities that the teachers engage the infant in. There isn't any playmat where the younger infants can't learn to flip over or learn how to crawl.

When infants are crying, they are not picked up from the bouncer. The teacher just pat the infant on the bouncer and try to sing songs to pacify them and that is probably all they do. There is once I saw the teacher put the milk bottle into the baby mouth when they are crying and did not remove the milk bottle even when the baby continues to cry as if force feeding the baby.

It seems your teachers will not pick up the baby at all even during feeding as the babies are fed lying down on the bouncer. And after feeding, they just sit the infant up on the bouncer and burp them. So for as long as they are there, the babies are strapped to the bouncer except for bath time. For some babies like my child, he tends to need to burp a few times after feed and gets wind in the stomach if not properly burped and will cry. I think the teachers should at least pick up the infant from the bouncer when they cry to find out why they are crying and not say that babies are like that they just like to cry. Sometimes they are not feeling well, sometimes they just need someone to talk to them.

I feel depressed to send my child to your centre and had withdrawn him after a few days. He is currently attending another infant care which has a huge playmat for him and other infants to learn how to flip, crawl, stand and walk. I sincerely hope that bright kids can look into improving their infant care service by training teachers to be more caring and loving to the infants who are just a few months old.

anewmummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools