Our Juniors' Schoolhouse

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.

Our Juniors' Schoolhouse

Postby alangolf » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:52 pm

Hi All,

Any feedback on OJSH? They open 1 outlet at TradeHub 21. It's relatively new.... Went to their open house. The curriculum sounds quite good. It's a member of Cherie Hearts (whatever that means). Their website didn't list locations of their schools, are there other branches?

Is it advisable to send DS to a 'new' school? Am worried about the teacher's experience and turnover subsequently.

:celebrate:

alangolf
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby toddles » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Hmm... from the website I thought it's an associate of Pat's Schoolhouse instead of Cherie Hearts?

I think they have a branch at Tanah Merah as well...

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Our Juniors' Schoolhouse

Postby happyhippo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:45 am

hi mummies, daddies
Is any of your kids attending Our Junior Schoolhouse at Westlake Avenue?
I'm considering it for my son for childcare.
Hope you can share with me your experience and comments.
Thanks !

happyhippo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wishababy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:14 pm

it is associate of Cherie Hearts.

wishababy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby korbu » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:23 am

Hi, do any parents here have feedback about OJSH@tradehub21?

Teachers n curriculum quality pls?

korbu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby pingsped » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:35 am

OJSH is affiliated to an organization that is named Cherie Hearts (not related to Spore chain of Cherie Hearts)

Our 3 year-old girl is enrolled in OJSH (Thomson) since Aug 2012. We have served notice to withdraw her last week.

The school environment is pleasant. My girl enjoys school.

We are withdrawing her on concerns relating to safety, hygiene & educational needs. She is in the Pre-Nursery class. We get a fortnightly newsletter of lessons taught. The Chinese report looks fantastic but sounds like an unrealistic composition (read the following paragraph). Not much is taught for English & Math. We have not seen any craftwork. My friend's child who enrolled in the same class in July, also reports the same thing.

We think it is important that young children, esp toddlers who are unable to speak well, should be handled by local teachers who speak English. There are scratcher, toucher (or groping), striper, etc in her class of 12 odd kids, comprising mainly of kids who can't understand Chinese well. Unfortunately, one of the misbehaving child is not Chinese. One can imagine it is difficult to get the class to sit, not to mention teach Chinese, ALONE.

The sales pitch of extended Chinese teaching means that the child will be cared for by the Chinese teacher. The English teacher is a part-timer who doesn't come daily. Her class is being handled by a intern student from polytechnic since Sep.

She has contracted 2 skin disease & condition from school in a short span of 1 month. She has picked up some bad behavior from school. She also had nightmares for the first two weeks of school.

We feel this is a management issue. I have given feedback to the supervisor but she claimed that her staff followed procedure.

There are other safety breaches & poor hygiene which I have observed. It seems the supervisor is unable to control staff well or enforce procedures.

My girl has been on medical leave for 2 weeks & has been telling me more about her school. I'm alright with misbehaving kids in class but it becomes a concern if the teacher is unable to handle or not bothered by them. We are reassured that withdrawing her from school is the right choice for us.

Another reason is our girl is rather advanced in development, so we feel that her current class & teacher are unsuitable for her. We have tried to ask for transfer to Nursery class but it was discouraged.

We have been visiting childcare centers & find that OJSH's PN curriculum is very basic. Even the supervisor reports that many children in the Nursery class are still unable to print letters as of Sep. There is no investigative stuff or project work. We didn't see any craft work either. For water play, there is a little tikes pool but the kids jostle at the edge and are expected to stay dry & just scoop/pour water. It was not fun so my girl didn't want to join in.

OJSH's PN curriculum is not comparable to PCF's curriculum. The kids only do painting to augment learning. There is no craftwork or cut & paste as that requires planning & prep work.

pingsped
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Happie Mummy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Anyone have review or comments about the branch at tanah merah? My friend's child graduated from there last yr and was quite pleased with things there but heard there's a change in the principal or supervisor this year and things might not be the same? Any parent out there with kids in the centre crossing this phase? Is it still good to send my child?

Happie Mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ConcernednConfusedMummy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:17 pm

I visited OJSH @ Thomson (Westlake) twice and was generally happy with what I saw. It was one of the most well-organised preschool I've seen, with bright, airy and spacious classrooms for every class, a big music room, well-resourced learning corners, age-appropriate developmental materials and toys, a grassy play area with several play structures, buggy cars and trikes on concrete floor, two big water tubs and a large sandpit, as well as a varied curriculum that includes pretend play, cookery, art (but doesn't seem like alot of craft), show n tell, and daily varying physical activities, etc. The only thing was, I didn't get to observe the teachers for long, caught some snippets of teaching. The students looked engaged enough. Class sizes were small and students generally seemed well-behaved.

The principal has been with the school for several years, rising from teacher to principal, so she's very familiar with the school and gave us tips on how to settle our child into the Playgroup class for the first couple of days and what to expect in the first 2-3 months.

Any other parents who have visited or have kids in the school and keen to share your perspectives and experiences? I'm quite interested in the school right now.

ConcernednConfusedMummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby pingsped » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:24 pm

My girl is very verbal & I'm observant cos i work in special needs. That said, my girl was only enrolled for 4 weeks. She is in PN or 3 year-old class.
So pls use discretion.

Ms D1 is a part-time English teacher who comes abt 3-4 times for half day.
Ms J is the Chinese teacher who handles class of 12 kids. The student turnover in this class seems high; there are vacancies every 2-3 mth.

Ms D is the principal/supervisor. She knows curriculum very well but I feel she's unable to handle staff well. She also teaches K1 class. There is no admin staff so she has to handle everything.

Ms k is supposed to be assisting PN class (she is in PN class photo) but I understand she takes the Nursery class for English. She is always seen downstairs (N). She speaks alright but she is from China.

Ms I is supposed to take k2 class but she seems to be a part-timer or maybe half-day. I know she helps out in PN class eg showering, etc.

I didn't observe any other English teachers working there. There are 2 other Chinese teachers for PG & maybe K1-2 class.

pingsped
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby pingsped » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:55 pm

I just read you are looking at PG class.

Who are the teachers in charge? are they working full-time or shared with other classes?

Can your child understand Chinese? I think it's a middle-aged Chinese teacher in charge. She seems firm. I note there is this English kid who seems to have extra attention. I'm not sure if she's slow & can't sit by herself.

My girl's PN class has 2 kids who require close monitoring. One can't understand much Chinese. It's just very difficult to maintain order & conduct lesson with only 1 teacher.

All in, school seems quite fun for some kids. The health record is quite good; sick kids are usu not sent to school.

For us, this school is simply not right one.

pingsped
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Playgroups, Infant Care, Childcare Centres & Preschools