Creative O

Discuss specific Playgroups, Infant Care, Child Care & Pre-school service providers here.
sumo22
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by sumo22 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:16 am

Those were my concerns too.. My hubby feels teachers are still the most impt & not the curriculum.

munchkukie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by munchkukie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:05 pm

Both of my gals are at Creative O. One is in playgroup and another is at K2. Really regret not queueing up for Creative O for my older gal when she is much younger. We only get the older gal into K1 last year.

I like the teachers very much. The kids are also very well behaved. No one bully my elder gal although she is a bit autistic. They are very concerned abt her when she cried attimes because she can't do her work. The teachers are also very supportive with her needs. We have spent at least 5 1-1 sessions with the teachers to discuss her needs.

The work that they do over there are very experiential. I have seen my shy gal becoming more confident and relaxed over the past 1 year. They dun bring work home. Spelling and ting Xie will come at second part of K2. They won't drill much of penmanship cos based on child development stages, they are not ready until when they are ard 5-6....

They are unconventional. At K1 level, they are given big pieces of paper to write. It seems to work. At K2, my gal's penmanship has improved. And she dun give me the 'tortured' face when I ask her to write. It seems her pencil grasp is stronger now.

AT PG class, my younger dd is exposed to lots of ways to making 'food' e.g., roll and paste, making ang ku kueh and soon kueh from flour dough. and she pick up Mandarin from the school as we spoke mostly Eglish at home. they are also brought to a postbox to post letter to daddy and mummy.

The principal is also quite involved in the managment of the school. There are programs involving parents e.g., how to use a picture book, informal parents teacher conference etc.

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Bowie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi ALL, :D

Need ur advise.

For parents with kids change from Kindy to Childcare.
Do you find it a better arrangement?
My gal is quite independent and keen to learn and explore.
This prompt us to the tot maybe going to Childcare maybe a better option as they may learn more things and social skill compare to kindy.

However, my in laws, my gal GOOD main caregivers are worry and have concern on easy sickness and also since they eat by themselves, they may not eat enough... (BTW my gal is going to 3 this yr end)

Have visited Creative O and like it as it seem like a nice playground open for kids to explore. But I have a concern, its seem like the teachers in the center speaks quite a bit of Mandrain. My gal Mandrian is stronger than English. So will like to know if they provide a balance environment.

Thanx in advance for any advise or experience sharing.

Thanx Thanx!! :celebrate:

dp
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Creative O

Post by dp » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi all,

I have 2 boys going to Creative O staring 2010, elder starting K2 and the younger at Playgroup (PG). Just like to share my experience.

My elder son only joined their K1 level in Jan 09. Prior to that, he spent 2 years at 7th day adventist kindergarten (SDAK). During the course of the year, the folowing are my observations;

1) his english and chinese pronunciation has improved. This is his teacher's credit cos his English teacher got a Masters in Education (English) this year and Chinese teacher's mandarin sounds like Taiwanese.
2) he is happier to go to school and often wants to stay longer even when i am there to fetch him home in the evening.
3) his reading has improve a lot, he can read the books recommended by the school teachers on his own now and can recognised simple words (but must also give credit to my wife who reads to him every night). More importantly, he likes to read.
4) his approach to problem solving has been positive.
5) he can write but not in a neat and tidy manner. We were on holiday 2 weeks ago when he saw pen and paper in the hotel room. He promptly requested to write a postcard to his teacher. His simple sentence was scrawled all over the A6 size paper but it's the thoughts that count.
6) he can hardly spell but i am not too concern now.

My main objective for my children at this point in time is to have a happy time in school and that they are motivated by the joy of learning. Creative O has met my objectives.

My 2nd boy is going to their PG soon and i am excited to have him started with Creative O young. I feel that Creative O is good for character development, afterall, they have been doing this for 12 years and the principal much earlier.

If you are still wondering whether Creative O is the right one for your child, read this book recommended by the school. "Under Pressure- Rescuing Our Children from the Culture of Hyper-Parenting"by Carl Honore.... You can try to borrow from the library. If you agree with this book, Creative O will the right one for your child.

Merry Christmas!

Bear Ho
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Creative O

Post by Bear Ho » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi I am new herer, can't help but to add in a few words about Creative O.

Both my kids are there (K2 and PG), both of them love the school and teachers so much that they complained if we fetch them too early.

So far feedbacks from parents of former Creative O that are in P1 now are that their children are adapting very well in Primary schools. I agree with the earlier posts that even though the curriculum does not adhere to most of the child care centres but the children there learn a lot of social and problem solving skills among others. Parents are very involved in the school activites and believe me there are many activities!!!

Do visit the school if you have a chance and you will find out why it is different from the conventional ones... :D

Fion Loh
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Fion Loh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:49 pm

hi mummy,

Any recent comments for creative O? Positive or Negative comments/ experiences is fine, pls share. My sis thought of putting his son there n need some advise on the teachers, environment n programme. thanks so much.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor
Total Likes:14

Post by qms » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:44 pm

:offtopic:

Fion, long time no "see"/talk. How's your boy? Is he still in LV?

Fion Loh
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Fion Loh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:51 pm

hi qms,
yeh long time didnt chat with u :) his currently in a 2h playgroup but next year will put him in childcare. My Sis is interested in creative so i'm asking around, How is your precious in little skool house?

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor
Total Likes:14

Post by qms » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Fion!

She's doing fine. Glad that the year is coming to an end, and she will be starting her primary school education next year. :celebrate:

Did you pull your boy out from LV? I thought you put him with LV early this year?

gummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by gummy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Adding on Fion's request,

I may want to send my child to creative-O for next year. But i would like to hear some first hand accounts of the school teaching system, teachers abilities and whether they are the caring type, etc.

thanks