HOLY GRACE KINDERGARTEN

Discuss specific kindergartens operators here.

HOLY GRACE KINDERGARTEN

Postby littleKS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Would like to get some feedback on this kindy. TIA

littleKS
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kpdriclaire » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Holy Grace is well known for giving their students a solid foundation in Chinese. However, English is compromised.

kpdriclaire
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby littleKS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:08 pm

can please elaborate on 'english compromise'. will the students still be able to pick up basic english? how about other areas?

littleKS
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kpdriclaire » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:15 pm

Ratio of curriculum time of Chinese to El is 6:4.
Phonics is done as enrichment rather than during curriculum time. This as major reason why i decided not to enrol my children there.

kpdriclaire
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

holy grace

Postby YingYing » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:19 pm

actually i had wanted to send son to holy grace but after learning that their emphasis on chinese is 80:20 for Nursery & K1 level ....this change to 60:40 at K2, i decided not to put my son there. While I am all for having a solid chinese foundation, i think 80:20 is a bit "over the top".. I'm looking at more 50:50 ... unfortunately no other kindergarten i visited offers 50:50 ... more 65% english 35 % chinese.

YingYing
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby KSmom8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:34 pm

Probably a bit late in replying but thought I'd offer my 2 cents worth of comments.

I would recommend Holy Grace Kindergarten to any parent who wants their child to learn mandarin, especially if the family background is an english speaking one.

My child was monolingual when he entered the kindergarten. He didn't speak or understand a word of mandarin. The kindergarten has provided a good foundation in mandarin (and other subjects) and he did very well for chinese and other subjects in primary 1. He still attends chinese enrichment class but at least he does not dislike the chinese subject!!!

I did enrol him for weekly english enrichment class in K1 and K2 because I felt he was picking up too much singlish from his classmates! So if you are concerned about "english being compromised", you might want to consider this option.

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jerejoy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:50 am

KSmom8 wrote:Probably a bit late in replying but thought I'd offer my 2 cents worth of comments.

I would recommend Holy Grace Kindergarten to any parent who wants their child to learn mandarin, especially if the family background is an english speaking one.

My child was monolingual when he entered the kindergarten. He didn't speak or understand a word of mandarin. The kindergarten has provided a good foundation in mandarin (and other subjects) and he did very well for chinese and other subjects in primary 1. He still attends chinese enrichment class but at least he does not dislike the chinese subject!!!

I did enrol him for weekly english enrichment class in K1 and K2 because I felt he was picking up too much singlish from his classmates! So if you are concerned about "english being compromised", you might want to consider this option.

Thanks for sharing. My cousin also recommended this kindergarten to me but they only accept kids from 4 yrs and above. Maybe her husband is an American and she was previously an English teacher so they have no issue on the "english being compromised". I asked ard friends whose kids are in this school and they told me exactly as wht u hv mentioned too.

Think I may hv to miss this school a miss cos I couldn't accept on the english being compromised.

jerejoy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby KSmom8 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:47 am

My younger kid is now in prenursery in another kindergarten. Honestly, I don't find the standard of english that fantastic though have no other complains.

If all goes well with the registration (heard that still very popular), intend to send him to Holy Grace Kindergarten next year. As we are a english speaking family, I feel it is vital for him to pick up and be familiar with the chinese language so that he is okay with chinese in primary school (like my elder child).

I know of parents who are now considering intensive chinese primary 1 preparatory course for their K1 / K2 kids. I did not need to worry about this for my elder kid who was in Holy Grace.

Heard that the principal of Holy Grace has changed. Don't know whether there has been any major change in teaching methods / policies and management. Any comments? TIA

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Meg » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:02 pm

A very late reply (I just joined this forum), but hope it would be useful for future prospective students...

My younger DS is in Holy Grace. Started in Nursury this year. It's a great school and we have no complaints. There hasn't been any changes in teachers for the whole year. The teachers are caring (esp since DS had hard time adapting to school and was crying a lot for the first month!!).

We speak English at home, so we are not worried about English allegedly being compromised. At school, he learns phonics, and he has picked up reading as well. In that sense, I don't think English is in fact compromised. I recall hearing a talk to parents telling us that they are modifying their curriculum, and putting more emphasis on English...

As for mandarin, he started off not knowing a single word. He now knows some, which is wonderful. He is also not adverse to the chinese language/culture.

Holy Grace has good enrichment programmes - Act 3, Music, gym, computer are offered albeit as 'extras'. They also are implementing new programmes, including trips to china for some K2 students. They say this arises from the ministry's new initiatives for pre-school education.

My experience with Holy Grace is to be contrasted with elder DS who went to different church based school. That school was good too (great teachers!), but the chinese standards were very low. Even with Tien Hsia and home tuition in K2, he still had problems being ready for Primary 1 chinese. For that reason, we enrolled DS 2 in Holy Grace. On a different note, after enrolling in Holy Grace, I noticed further that they have more field trips for the kids, compared with DS 1's kindy, which is a plus for Holy Grace.

Meg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby chatelaine » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:46 pm

May I know where is Holy Grace located?

chatelaine
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Kindergartens