Glory Kindergarten

Discuss specific kindergartens operators here.

Glory Kindergarten

Postby luvmum » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:30 am

Title: Any kids at Glory Kindergarten (Toh Yi)?

Hi any KS mummies with kids there, can share more abt the kindy.

Thanks! :?:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Any kids at Glory Kindergarten (Toh Yi)?

Postby kaitlynangelica » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:46 pm

luvmum wrote:Hi any KS mummies with kids there, can share more abt the kindy.

Hi,

Sent my kid there last year, had super-bad experience.

1) Kid fell down from school bus and injured herself, teacher did not even inform me.

2) Teacher lost communication booklet.

3) Teacher forgot to retain child back when I signed her for afternoon enrichment class and sent her up the school bus instead. Good thing there was someone home.

4) On day that there was no class, kept her back in school by mistake.

5)I joined in Febuary. On 1st day of school, teachers did not know what class she belonged to.

6) Teacher made remarks like my child was "xiao jie" and "daeh".

But overall, child hated school and cried everyday.

But having said that, it could be just my bad experience. Some of the other parents seem quite happy with the school.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby luvmum » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:50 pm

Huh so bad... Tot this kindy is recommended as the curriculum seems to be quite good. Was told it was the best kindy at Upper Bt Timah area. Where are you staying btw? Bet you muz have withdrawn your child oredy. :roll:

Any other mummies hv exp to share pl?

Thanks...

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kaitlynangelica » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:52 pm

luvmum wrote:Huh so bad... Tot this kindy is recommended as the curriculum seems to be quite good. Was told it was the best kindy at Upper Bt Timah area. Where are you staying btw? Bet you muz have withdrawn your child oredy. :roll:

Any other mummies hv exp to share pl?

Thanks...

I have since withdrawn her and put in in Faith Montessori. She is much much better. I think the teachers are very old. Heard from one of my neighbours that the principal cannot control the teachers.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Glory Kindergarten (Toh Yi)

Postby panicmum » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:54 pm

luvmum wrote:Title: Any kids at Glory Kindergarten (Toh Yi)?

My kids have attended glory kindy. Elder gal was in GLory abt four yrs back. She has benefited a lot from the school, has no problem adapting to Pei Hwa Presbyterian in Pri 1. The curriculum prepares her qutie well, as she has no problem with the work load from P1 and did very well. My boy will be in K1 next yr, has attended the school for abt a yr. No major problems noted. But he did get bullied in school by a particular boy and I have sounded the school and the teachers. So far, it has not detered him from wanting to go to school. Still, I am not too satified with how the scholl has handled the matter, there was no feedback voluntarily from the school/ teachers. I had to call and discuss with them to get some feedback.

I do notice some difference in the education for my two kids. It could be the change of management (i.e. principal and teachers) and/ or the fact that my two kids learn differently. My gal has the benefit of being taught by very experienced teachers who were with the school for tens of years, there were passion in their teaching and they simply have very good temperament. I am in fact very grateful. My gal greatly benefited from the patience and guidance.

As for my son, probably he has been boisterous, and being boys is not very attentive. In terms of academic progress, I do not see much, but I must say I am very pleased with the emphasis of teaching gracious behaviour in a child, my son corrects me when I say words which could be "hurting" like "silly" and told me not to use such words on others. And a significant difference in my kids and my nephews who attended childcare, is that my kids have caring hearts, they are more attuned to feel for others. This I believe has much to do with the school's education focus. In terms of teachers, I do see variation of standards. There are really goods ones, and the so-so. The general feel is that the current teachers are quite stretched (pretty high child teacher ratio). My son has the benefit of having an attentive teacher (a Singaporean) who understands him well, so this sort of compensates for the lack of focus from other teachers. There will be two teachers teaching english and chinese.

To compensate for the slow progress, I have engaged a private tuitor to teach him twice a week. I would say, if you can arrange other enrichment classes, glory is a good place. Becos of the bully incidents, I had thought of pulling my son out of the school, and put him in a child care. In addition, as his classes ends by 11:30am, he is very free in the afternoon and plays too much, so I had thought a childcare would be better for him. (I am a full time working mum) But I am still contemplating, cos I see that my son has been taught to have a kind and caring heart, and I am not sure if this can be achieved in childcare.

panicmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kaitlynangelica » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:59 pm

panicmum wrote:
luvmum wrote:Title: Any kids at Glory Kindergarten (Toh Yi)?

My kids have attended glory kindy. Elder gal was in GLory abt four yrs back. She has benefited a lot from the school, has no problem adapting to Pei Hwa Presbyterian in Pri 1. The curriculum prepares her qutie well, as she has no problem with the work load from P1 and did very well. My boy will be in K1 next yr, has attended the school for abt a yr. No major problems noted. But he did get bullied in school by a particular boy and I have sounded the school and the teachers. So far, it has not detered him from wanting to go to school. Still, I am not too satified with how the scholl has handled the matter, there was no feedback voluntarily from the school/ teachers. I had to call and discuss with them to get some feedback.

I do notice some difference in the education for my two kids. It could be the change of management (i.e. principal and teachers) and/ or the fact that my two kids learn differently. My gal has the benefit of being taught by very experienced teachers who were with the school for tens of years, there were passion in their teaching and they simply have very good temperament. I am in fact very grateful. My gal greatly benefited from the patience and guidance.

As for my son, probably he has been boisterous, and being boys is not very attentive. In terms of academic progress, I do not see much, but I must say I am very pleased with the emphasis of teaching gracious behaviour in a child, my son corrects me when I say words which could be "hurting" like "silly" and told me not to use such words on others. And a significant difference in my kids and my nephews who attended childcare, is that my kids have caring hearts, they are more attuned to feel for others. This I believe has much to do with the school's education focus. In terms of teachers, I do see variation of standards. There are really goods ones, and the so-so. The general feel is that the current teachers are quite stretched (pretty high child teacher ratio). My son has the benefit of having an attentive teacher (a Singaporean) who understands him well, so this sort of compensates for the lack of focus from other teachers. There will be two teachers teaching english and chinese.

To compensate for the slow progress, I have engaged a private tuitor to teach him twice a week. I would say, if you can arrange other enrichment classes, glory is a good place. Becos of the bully incidents, I had thought of pulling my son out of the school, and put him in a child care. In addition, as his classes ends by 11:30am, he is very free in the afternoon and plays too much, so I had thought a childcare would be better for him. (I am a full time working mum) But I am still contemplating, cos I see that my son has been taught to have a kind and caring heart, and I am not sure if this can be achieved in childcare.

panicmum,

you are right about the change in management. when I sent my gal there last year,I understand that the principal is new and she is not able to control the teachers well. I also understand that the teachers are overloaded and that is probably why they did not respond well to your feedback that you son was being bullied.

As for curriculum, can't comment much because my daughter was only in N2 last year so maybe i dont see much progress.

IMO, I feel that childcare has benefitted my gal a lot more. She is an only child at the moment so I like her to spend more time in school. Otherwise, will just keep on watching TV when she goes home.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby luvmum » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:30 pm

Dear panicmum & kaitlynangelica,

Thanks for all the sharing. I went for their orientation last Fri and for the 1st time met up with the Principal, not the typical principal you wld have expected, she seems to be casual. However, can see that majority of the parents have continued to be with the school as they are there to buy uniform unlike newbies like us who need to buy all. While bringing my gal to her classroom to meet her teachers, I was quite unhappy when one mummy cut q and the teacher also din do anything abt it. I only see the chinese teacher not the teacher one. I just hope my gal can benefit from the school.

I've always wanted to enrol my child to church kindy environment as I like the way they are exposed to bible studies and inculcate of good behaviour. My girl has been on full day childcare since she's 2. I enrol her for full day care as I'm currently FTWM and instead of idling at home, might as well stay in school and learn more stuff. To be fair, she did learn quite a fair bit but I feel considerable time is spent on bathing, eating, napping. Also, childcare teachers have too many things to handle that they tend not to focus tat much on their academic understanding. That's how I feel.

Come next yr I will be SAHM, timing is just nice. Morn in kindy, aft nap, thereafter I can coach her and spend more time with my children. Now after my work and her full day care, both of us are bashed yet still need to go thr study time at 9pm each day. Wanted to change such unhealthy lifestyle. :roll:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby luvmum » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:42 pm

[My boy will be in K1 next yr, has attended the school for abt a yr. No major problems noted. But he did get bullied in school by a particular boy and I have sounded the school and the teachers. So far, it has not detered him from wanting to go to school. Still, I am not too satified with how the scholl has handled the matter, there was no feedback voluntarily from the school/ teachers. I had to call and discuss with them to get some feedback. ]

Hi panicmum,

My girl is oso in K1 next yr, she is in Joy class. Scarly same class as your boy? :P What did that bully do and how you get to know it, from your child? Even at my girl current childcare though it's a premiere school, once where my girl comes home with a cut on her lips, another with her legs full of mozzie bites, check with the school, no one knows what happen and nobody tells me, I have to chk with the school. Guess so long as the overall is ok, we cannot expect perfection, wherever right? :wink:

U must be staying near to Toh Yi, I like Pei Hwa but I'm staying outside 2km, no hope liao. :twisted:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kaitlynangelica » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:18 pm

luvmum wrote:Dear panicmum & kaitlynangelica,

Thanks for all the sharing. I went for their orientation last Fri and for the 1st time met up with the Principal, not the typical principal you wld have expected, she seems to be casual. However, can see that majority of the parents have continued to be with the school as they are there to buy uniform unlike newbies like us who need to buy all. While bringing my gal to her classroom to meet her teachers, I was quite unhappy when one mummy cut q and the teacher also din do anything abt it. I only see the chinese teacher not the teacher one. I just hope my gal can benefit from the school.

I've always wanted to enrol my child to church kindy environment as I like the way they are exposed to bible studies and inculcate of good behaviour. My girl has been on full day childcare since she's 2. I enrol her for full day care as I'm currently FTWM and instead of idling at home, might as well stay in school and learn more stuff. To be fair, she did learn quite a fair bit but I feel considerable time is spent on bathing, eating, napping. Also, childcare teachers have too many things to handle that they tend not to focus tat much on their academic understanding. That's how I feel.

Come next yr I will be SAHM, timing is just nice. Morn in kindy, aft nap, thereafter I can coach her and spend more time with my children. Now after my work and her full day care, both of us are bashed yet still need to go thr study time at 9pm each day. Wanted to change such unhealthy lifestyle. :roll:

Luvmum,

To be fair, I donno if I was just unlucky. Maybe I am just extra fussy because I want extra attention on my daughter. Ultimately, I just felt that the teachers don't care. But most other pp felt that Glory has a good curriculum and the price is very reasonable as well. From what I know, starting from K1 onwards, they also have full-day programmes.

Now that she goes to cc, I actually feel that my daughter has progressed a lot more acaedemically. She has progressed in her reading and mandarin. In terms of maths, she is also learning how to add, subtract and do multiplication. But this cc I also noticed that in terms of food and child-care, not that great. They only offer cereal for breakfast and nothing else. Lunch cooked by the auntie not great either. Greater emphasis is placed on academics thats why I like it.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby panicmum » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:19 pm

luvmum wrote:[My boy will be in K1 next yr, has attended the school for abt a yr. No major problems noted. But he did get bullied in school by a particular boy and I have sounded the school and the teachers. So far, it has not detered him from wanting to go to school. Still, I am not too satified with how the scholl has handled the matter, there was no feedback voluntarily from the school/ teachers. I had to call and discuss with them to get some feedback. ]

Hi panicmum,

My girl is oso in K1 next yr, she is in Joy class. Scarly same class as your boy? :P What did that bully do and how you get to know it, from your child? Even at my girl current childcare though it's a premiere school, once where my girl comes home with a cut on her lips, another with her legs full of mozzie bites, check with the school, no one knows what happen and nobody tells me, I have to chk with the school. Guess so long as the overall is ok, we cannot expect perfection, wherever right? :wink:

U must be staying near to Toh Yi, I like Pei Hwa but I'm staying outside 2km, no hope liao. :twisted:

Hi Luvmum

My boy was in Love N2. Going to Hope K1. Too bad diff class.... Son was poked by pen with at least 20 pen dot marks around his rib cage. Another time, he had a few long pen lines drawn on his legs and arm. I was pretty angry seeing the lack of action from the school. But then, my son likes the teachers there, so what to do... and he gets to eat snacks, like porridge, cereals and bread on different days, so he likes it there... Yes, I stay at Toh Yi, and my children walk to school, which is a stone's throw away. That is the blessing... hee hee.... so my gal who is in morning class since this yr gets to sleep until 6:30 and walks down to Pei Hwa at 7:10 am. I save quite alot on transportation too.. :wink:

I heard that Pei Hwa has a large capacity, is there no chance? I have no issue enrolling my gal cos I am an old gal there.

panicmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Kindergartens