Paya Lebar Methodist Church Kindegarten - Covenant

Discuss specific kindergartens operators here.

Paya Lebar Methodist Church Kindegarten - Covenant

Postby spikey » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi there
I have registered my 3.5 yr old daughter and 2.5 yr old son to this Kindergarten. Any other parents have their kids there?

I am sending mine together for the morning session. Have to drive them in the early morning and the maid takes them back by taxi later in the morning.

spikey
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby momresource » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:09 am

Is your girl in the nursery class now?
I have intention to transfer my kid over there and I have many questions. I am meeting the principal. Can you advice?
My email is momresource@gmail.com

momresource
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby spikey » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:51 am

what questions do you have - both my kids are in there now. Are there spaces for nursery classes now? The early morning or late morning session?

spikey
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby momresource » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:54 am

Hi spikey,

I am making appt to see the principal; nursery morning class. My kid will be a transfer kid.

I went to the school and the teachers are those mature auntie type... how are they? caring? It seem to me that the schools are very play-oriented (that I really liked) but I also want to know more about the curriculum and whether they started practicing writing at nursery or are there spelling?

How is their chinese language? Is it still those old style or teaching or incorporate flash cards etc? Do they have dedicated chinese teacher in class or the chinese teacher teaches at the different levels?

Do you know are the K2 students coping well or most of them have to go enrichment classes? Have you seen their K2 work?

Do they furnish info to parents on the school curriculum per term and does the teacher mind parents to ask about their kid's progress?

The class starts at 8am, rather early compared to 8.30am now. Are your kids in 1st or 2nd session? I also saw on the chart for order of vitagen, they drink during break? How is the food?

I think this is always parents dilemma that we want our kids to enjoys school but yet, we always have to know academic aspect so that they won;t have shock to enter P1 and will have to struggle less then?

Btw, do your kids attend sunday school there too?

momresource
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby spikey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:56 am

momresource wrote:Hi spikey,

I am making appt to see the principal; nursery morning class. My kid will be a transfer kid.

I went to the school and the teachers are those mature auntie type... how are they? caring? It seem to me that the schools are very play-oriented (that I really liked) but I also want to know more about the curriculum and whether they started practicing writing at nursery or are there spelling?

How is their chinese language? Is it still those old style or teaching or incorporate flash cards etc? Do they have dedicated chinese teacher in class or the chinese teacher teaches at the different levels?

Do you know are the K2 students coping well or most of them have to go enrichment classes? Have you seen their K2 work?

Do they furnish info to parents on the school curriculum per term and does the teacher mind parents to ask about their kid's progress?

The class starts at 8am, rather early compared to 8.30am now. Are your kids in 1st or 2nd session? I also saw on the chart for order of vitagen, they drink during break? How is the food?

I think this is always parents dilemma that we want our kids to enjoys school but yet, we always have to know academic aspect so that they won;t have shock to enter P1 and will have to struggle less then?

Btw, do your kids attend sunday school there too?

most of the teachers there are indeed the mature "auntie type" but at least they speak proper english rather than "engrish". Their nursery classes appear to be more play oriented. I send my daughter for Berries classes for Mandarin lessons to complement whatever she learns at the Covenant. They do have a good dedicated Mandarin teacher though.

My kids are in the 1st session. The food is nothing fantastic - more than likely it's just one bun. They don't attend the sunday school there.

spikey
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby momresource » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:01 pm

I will pm you.

momresource
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mashy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:00 pm

My boy is currently in their nursery class. Sad to say i'm very disappointed with the teacher. She's full of negativity and complains abt everything and anything abt my boy. I've checked with other parents and most of them have kids who behave the same way.

Egs are that he can't sit still in the class and likes to roam abt, likes to play with her CD player etc. Everytime i talk to her, she'll complain abt him.

There's a boy in class who kept stroking my boy's face (which he found really irritating) and I brought it up to her. Instead of dealing with the issue of pte space with that boy, she complained that my boy doesn't like any kid in class. So does that mean it's actually my boy's prob for not liking the stroking from his classmate? She totally disregards my boy's discomfort at being stroked like that. Who likes that? Even for me, I'll feel offended.

Well, i'm looking to transfer him out already. Now currently looking for another sch with a teacher who will love him and treat him with respect.

mashy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mashy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:40 pm

Forgot to add that the sch took 1 whole term before they gave out the communication book!

And when the principal was asked, she said that coz the teachers in nursery classes said that many of the kids don't carry a bag and thus diff to carry the books abt.

But during the 1st week of sch, the teachers were telling all the parents not to bring any sch bags for their kids!

mashy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby momresource » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi mashy,

I really can't comment too much of the school but I did have a taste of teacher's being frank or "open comments" in my kid previous school. Good that the school and teachers was stressing on punctuality but thus, the stigma caused my kid to refuse to enter class the moment many kids were inside... the logic was being late... I do hope the teachers are not commenting it openly in front of your kid because my kid is very sensitive and takes negative comments very hard.

My kid happens to be very active too, in fact how many kids nowadays can really sit still for long. Till now, I never really have a chance to speak to the teachers, everyday there is assembly but my kid really seem happy there... probably the previous school was very academic and worksheet driven but whereas here, they got plenty of indoor and outdoor play. For past two nights, he was building different objects from his lego blocks at home (toy that he had not touched for a long time) and today, he was showing me the similiar lego blocks in the school. I always make a point to ask him about his day in school, sometimes he will tell me and sometimes not...so in a way, I get to know about the activities.

For the communication book, I found it in my kid's library folder and so far, it is blank keke... but I did ask about schoolbag (his previous school have) during buying of uniform, the administrator told me it is for K1 onwards so my kid just carry a small bag to put his raincoat and other barang barang... Probably his habit from his previous school, he always open his bag (or I will do it) and pass me paper from the school that was given to him by teacher such and such... I didn't know not to carry bag.

Why don't you make an appointment to see his teacher (w/o your kid) and tell her your concern; see how you can work together with the teacher, especially like keeping the 2 kids (boy stroking face) apart for awhile.

Utimately, we have went through very bad times in the 1st term (previous school)... now we are very happy to see that his normal cheerful self is back, especially regaining his confidence to speakup (somehow got tampered previously as being noisy, mind of his own) and most importantly, he is looking very forward to school. Overall, I am really thankful that my kid is coping well here.

momresource
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mashy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:47 pm

momresource

yah, that teacher made the comments when my boy was ard. I wonder if he fully understood what was going on and decided to make her life a living hell. Hahha.

well, i'm now looking for another school coz i really don't think it's healthy for my boy to continue in this kind of negative environment.

Guess coz your kid joined the class late, so that's why u 'missed' out on all the action on the 'no sch bag', and 'no comms book' part. Glad that the sch suited your boy. After all, there's no perfect sch. Just diff schs for diff children.

mashy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Kindergartens