Calvary Baptist Kindergarten

Discuss specific kindergartens operators here.

Calvary Baptist Kindergarten

Postby missheng » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:31 am

Original Title: Calvary Baptist Kindergarten (at wan tho ave)??

Any mummies have kids studying in this sch? can share more abt this sch? thks..

missheng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Jonic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:13 am

Any comments about this Kindergarten?

Jonic
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ANobleNerd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:05 pm

I don't know if this makes a difference, but CBK is an excellent, child-focus kindergarten.

I love that CBK is small; one class per level at each session. It creates a very intimate and friendly environment, and the teachers know all the children by name.

The kindergarten has many fun and play-focus resources. While the philosophy of the school is very much play-based, the kids aren't neglected academically. That said, the kids never bring home homework - all work is done in school, as it ought to be.

CBK arranges the classroom in learning centres. The kids are grouped and throughout their 3 hours, move from one learning centre to another. The dramatic play centre is always popular - depending on the level, there are 'home', 'supermarket', and 'dress up' areas. CBK also encourages active outdoor play. Where possible, the kids go to the playground the school constructed with the kids in mind. On warmer/wet days, the kids get to scoot/ride around the inner courtyard.

My kids are currently in the K1 and Pre-Nursery class.

My Pre-N son's class has 8 children, but 3 teachers - an English form teacher, a Chinese teacher and a teaching assistant. In the Pre-N class, while there are separate curriculum like 'English' lesson and 'Chinese' lesson, all 3 teachers are in the class, and the Chinese teacher only speaks Mandarin to the kids, and the English and assistant teacher only English. During transitions, like from the Assembly area to the classroom, or to the toilets, the Chinese teacher may break out into a Chinese song, and encourage the kids to sing along. It's really very organic and fun, because the group size is so small.

The school has a very progressive-minded Principal. My eldest son graduated from CBK 6 years ago, but CBK formed an alumni a few years ago to encourage former students to participate in outings organised by them. My son had a good time catching up with some of his classmates, especially as my younger kids' elder siblings were also from my eldest years in the school. Like I mentioned, the school is small enough that after spending 3 to 4 years there, you tend to know all the kids, even if they were not from the same level.

More info about CBK:
http://www.calvary.org.sg/old/cbk/home.htm

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby missheng » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am

ANobleNerd - Previously i did went to the school during holidays and the in-charge told me that the max size of the N1 is 16 as there are 3 teachers. But heard frm my cousin mentioning that assistant should not be counted therefore did not place my child there.. partly also because the school bus did not go to my area :cry:

But I saw frm their website written that the school seems to be more to parents involvement.. which really tempt me :love:

Have u went for the mum or dad outing? Or maybe u can share more info with me? hehe thks..

Is the school open-concept? Like allow parents to go to the school.. Cos I heard frm another sch, the principal told me that if next time i need to pick up my kid earlier, i have to call them beforehand and they will bring the kid out..

Does the school have any notebk or ways for parents to communicate with the teachers daily or weekly?

Thks so much for replying.. will find a day to go down to have a look again

missheng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ANobleNerd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:37 pm

CBK really engages parents whenever possible. For example, this March holidays, the kids have to create an Art-and-Craft project with their parents using recycled materials to submit for an Art competition.

Tomorrow's the Mothers' Outing and I'll be going with my daughter and son. Last year, I went to the Zoo with my daughter and we all had a good time.

The school doesn't encourage parents to hang around during school hours, but parents who are free are encouraged to volunteer their time. Parents help take temperature of the kids, monitor the kids at the assembly hall and also do library duties. Some parents volunteer for the once-a-week story-telling or being part of special events day like National Day. For the past 2 years, a parent even wrote, directed and choreographed the entire graduation programme for the school. The Principal is open to ideas from parents and is always happy to listen to suggestions. Last year, the K2s had a learning project on hair salons and some parents were involved in all aspects of it: visits to Jean Yip Hair Salon, re-creating a hair salon with recycled materials, role-playing being in a salon, etc. The school won an award for the entire project.

The kids carry a CBK bag everyday. In the bag, the kids have to have a change of clothes (esp the younger ones during water-play days) and their Communications book. On Wednesdays, they bring their Library Record Book, so that they are able to borrow books from the school library - even the Pre-Nursery kids. They don't need to bring stationery because the school provides it. The kids also need to bring their water bottle, and the school constantly gets the kids to drink their water. In the Pre-Nursery class, this can be as often as every 30min! :lol:

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Calvary Baptist Kindergarten (at wan tho ave)??

Postby phtthp » Fri May 20, 2011 9:39 pm

CBK is a good kindy too.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Calvary Baptist Kindergarten

Postby Cinnacraze » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:58 pm

Is anyone's little boy or girl starting pre-N next yr?

Cinnacraze
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mschar » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:39 pm

Cinnacraze wrote:Is anyone's little boy or girl starting pre-N next yr?

Hi Cinnacraze,

My gal will in the morning Pre-N next year!!!

Same class as your little one?

Mschar
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Cinnacraze » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey Mschar!

My little boy is allocated morning class Pre-N Gentle. Yours too??

Cinnacraze
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mschar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Yup. Not sure if it is call gentle but will be the morning class.

So same class as ur son. :)

U fetching him to school or he will take the school bus?

Mschar
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Kindergartens