Maris Stella Kindergarten

Discuss specific kindergartens operators here.

Maris Stella Kindergarten

Postby octbride » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:53 am

Title: Any feedback on Maris Stella Kindergarten

Any feedback on maris stella kindergarten? Will students from maris stella be able to cope well academically when they go into P1?

octbride
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Maris Stella Kindergarten

Postby Chope » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:46 pm

octbride wrote:Title: Any feedback on Maris Stella Kindergarten

Any feedback on maris stella kindergarten? Will students from maris stella be able to cope well academically when they go into P1?

My daughter has been in MS since Nursery, she's in K2 now. From my observations, even though they've an excellent caring & loving teaching staff and beautiful spacious open environment, they seem to be lacking in the academic front.

My daughter has NEVER had any spelling tests or ting xie (even now, her 2nd month into K2), unlike her peers in other more academically driven pre-schools. Whether that's good/bad, is very subjective, I guess. My daughter really ENJOYS going to school though.

So, unfortunatley, that's my EXACT same concerns too! Wish someone can give me a definite answer...

Chope
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kaitlynangelica » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:37 am

octbride wrote:Title: Any feedback on Maris Stella Kindergarten

Octbride, my friend who sends her daughter there just called me to complain. Apparently the teacher punished her daughter for being too talkative in class by locking her in the class when the other children when for chinese lessons which are apparenly held in another classroom.

Another friend who's daughter used to go there got terrified after the teacher threatened to brush her teeth with a metal toothbrush. I can't remember what it was for.

Also, what I heard is the parents are not given proper information on what the kids are doing in school. So I don't think it will prepare the child well for p1.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

playschool in jurong west

Postby blessedone » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:44 pm

:?: hi i am looking for a recommended playschool for my girl in jurong west.i like those 2hrs class for her.thk u.

blessedone
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby pheurie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Both my sons went to Maris Stella and they really enjoyed themselves there. My older boy, now p1 (going p2) still misses his teachers there and would ask us to bring him back there tovisit his old teachers. My 2nd boy just graduated and he really loves his ms ng!!

To be fair, I am a FTWM and I don't spend a lot of time talking to teachers and other parents. But I noticed MS does not seem to have a fixed curriculum in it's teaching. I thot my 2nd boy was not as developped as my bigger one cos he couldn't read at all at the end of his k1 while at the same stage my bigger boy was reading mr men series at end of his k1. Then I realized big boy's k1 teacher taught them phonics in class but 2nd boy's teacher didn't really do much (not even too much art n craft work) cos of this we had to send him for external phonics class. The key negative thing coming out of this is that the younger's confidence is affected cos he has to attend additional classes that his brother doesn't have to (I don't send my kids for any enrichment since young cos I would like them to enjoy childhood as much as possible)

while i wasn't too happy abt my small boy's case in k1, his k2 teacher really helped to boost his confidence and she really made learning fun for the kids. The fact that the boys love the school so much is good testament to the school and environment.

Now I am just preparing for my youngest one and am considering nanyang kindy cos it's just down the road for us (just moved) and just found out it has pure Chinese environment. But after reading some of the comments here I really wonder if should just send him to MS too.

pheurie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby greenbean2011 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:59 am

what Phonics is Marris stellar kindergarten using ?
greenbean2011
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DesertWind » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi Hi,

Anybody know why for registration to this kindergarten, there must be an interview with the principal? Registration is also by appointment only. From the website the environment looks really good. But somehow don't like certain things I read from the long list of General Information.

Is it a very popular kindergarten and is it difficult to get in? TIA.
:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janjan16 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:27 pm

i just came back from the kindergarten. Yes, the premises is big, but its very very run down. The administrator told me that they are planning to renovate the school.

U only need to print out the registration form, bring along the documents and photocopies stated in the general information.

They do not seem to have a good focus. I somehow feel that something is lacking. the lady keep telling me they follow MOE guideline. So at N2, the pupils then start to learn letters of the alphabets and numbers. They are not able to tell me what method they use to teach the children.

Anyhow, i still registered my gal for the afternoon class in 2013, as the morning classes are full...

janjan16
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Carolchalker » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:13 pm

My daughter has been in MSK since nursery and I just stumble upon this thread now - I'm thinking whether to enroll her younger sibling to MSK.

So far, honestly, daughter has been very happy with school which makes us happy sending her. Academically we have never solely relied on school and have always added extra curricular like Kumon for her to cope better. Recently there has been changes, staff turnover and etc and I felt there's a certain lost in focus.

After reading this thread, it seems MSK has been lost all this while.

We didn't even get notice of renovations or upgrading. Change of principal was notified but it's feb and we've not met or heard of the new principal ;(

Hopefully my daughter integrates to P1 smoothly next yr.

Carolchalker
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby worried_mom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:04 am

My 2008 born son is in MS kindy now. Though he loves going to school, to me, he learns absolutely nothing! Cause i have no other options, he still there currently... Term 2 is ending and yet he's still learning letter J! No worksheets done in school. Oly arts n crafts brought back after term 1. At least there is a chinese book to show those songs or words they learn in term 1. But there is no english or maths book given.
He learnt a-z in N1 and 1-10. Yet in N2, he's re-learning it. Asked him and everyday listen to stories, playground time, play wooden blocks, do arts n crafts.
Principal is acting principal only. Sister Anne.
Admin dept totally changed as old staff resigned in march. Whole school is messed up in terms of communication. My son was sent there perfectly well and comes home daily with insect bites on his legs n face.

Anyway, once i find a school, i'm pulling him out.

worried_mom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Kindergartens