Geylang Chinese Methodist Kindergarten

Discuss specific kindergartens operators here.

Geylang Chinese Methodist Kindergarten

Postby Charmaine_chong » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:05 am

Original Title: Geylang Chinese Methodist Kindergarten @ Aljunied MRT

Hi mummies,

Did anyone send your child to Geylang Chinese Methodist Kindergarten? Do you mind to share your experience with this school?

It charges about SGD200 per month. Does the school prepare children well for P1?

I live in Circuit Road. Searching hard for good kindergarten for my son who turn 4 years old next year.

I am considering the following kindergarten for next year Nursery class
1) St Hilda (under wait list)
2) Chen Li ( if mummies has experience with this kindergarten, appreciat your feeback too)
3) Geylang Chinese Methodist Kindergarten

Appreciate very much your comments.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hquek » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Charmain_chong,

My son attended GCMK for 1 year (N1). My personal feelings towards the school (may not be representative of the whole picture):

1. teachers and principal are very caring towards the kids (that was a strong plus point),

2. they have many celebrations and 'chances' for kids to perform. I didn't like that cos I feel they would have to spend a lot of time to rehearse and prepare the kids. On the other hand, you will have lots of opportunities to see your child in action,

3. I don't feel they are strong in preparing for academics - my neighbour felt the same way BUT he still sent his other kids there and his girl (who graduated from GCMK) is doing well in primary school, (read what you will),

4. the school is quite cramped - my son's classroom was subdivided into 2 sections with a class on each end, I felt this was not ideal.

5. they do not have enrichment classes (like speech & drama/arts/etc).

It's not too bad a school, but all boils down to what you are looking for.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Charmaine_chong » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Dear Hquek,

Thanks a lot for replying me.

I went to the school and i didn't really like it. It is like what you commented. Very cramp, one classroom is divided by partition which is not really ideal.

I talked to the principal, she is like very secretive when asked her to shown me some books that used.

Not very patient answering my quention.

I really don't know where to send my son to, don't have good school within walking distance.

Nearby PAP study 2 hours a day instead of 3 hours. The teacher is even more impatient to attend to me. After showing me around the classroom less than 10 min, the teacher open the door and give me a sign to ask me to leave.

I am very concern about a child's foundation. This is very important.

I ever think of sending him to PAP which cost about 60 a month, then supplement him with enrichment classes.

If the kindergarten cost me about 250 (plus transport) i don't think i have extra $$ to send my son to enrichment class.

May be i will go to chen li kindergarten to take a look.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Geylang Chinese Methodist Kindergarten @ Aljunied MRT

Postby Yckuan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:31 am

My girl is there now in k2. Her writing has improved. Also they have Eng and chinese spelling every week. That is good training. Her teacher is strict so she does not get bullied by the boys compared to other places. That is good

Yckuan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby esthernggk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:34 pm

I hv called yesterday to check if they still have vacancies for playgroup class, but they replied that it's full.. I supposed their rates are so far the cheapest withing this neighbourhood...

esthernggk
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Yckuan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:58 am

They have good support from the Methodist church and I like it that everyone has a chance to perform, not just selected few

Yckuan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Geylang Chinese Methodist Kindergarten

Postby jongos » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:17 am

It is a very good kindergarten.

My son has attended GCMK for 2 years (Pre-Nursery and Nursery).

Teachers and principal are very strict but caring. They are patient and knowledgeable.

Another plus point is their moral education. It is quite difficult to find a kindergarten which teaches manners.

My son's English has improved a lot. After two years with GCMK he can speak English fluently. Fyi, we do not speak English at home.

In fact he likes learning, playing and having fun @ GCMK, therefore he looks forward to going to school every day. He also likes the food prepared by the auntie there so much.

jongos
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Kindergartens