Enrolled in 2 kindergartens in a day

Discuss specific kindergartens operators here.

Enrolled in 2 kindergartens in a day

Postby postpet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:09 pm

Anyone enrolled your kids to 2 kindergartens in a day for PN or Nursery?
Had heard of friends doing so and since I am torn between 2 kindergartens, am thinking if I should join the wagon.

postpet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Enrolled in 2 kindergartens in a day

Postby Shoe » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:15 am

Not advisable... I had friends who did that and their children were tired out...

Shoe
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cnimed » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:54 am

Sorry, I think it is a terrible idea.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Shoe » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:54 am

If you need full day care, you're better off placing you child in a full day childcare...

Shoe
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:46 pm

I did that for my #1 last year (nursery).

Why we did that:
1. He was too energetic at home. Even without afternoon nap, he can last until 1am and don't sleep! He can still wake up on his own at 8am every morning. No grouchy boy though he has so little sleep!
2. He was very curious about the school just below our flat. He often see the children there playing at the playground nearby and expressed interest to join.
3. He did not have many other enrichment classes.

His schedule:
8am - Wake up, shower, breakfast, some TV while waiting
9am - Goes up the school bus
12.30pm - Reach home, rest & lunch
1.50pm - Head downstairs for afternoon kindy
5pm - Home, shower, rest, play, sometimes he goes to the playground if the weather is good
7pm - Dinner
8pm - Read/watch TV
9pm - Sleep

I was very happy with the arrangement.

However... ...
The school he attends in the afternoon is PCF.
My boy was busy teaching the teachers and students phonics instead of them teaching him phonics. Quality of teaching and pace of learning was way too slow. They were teaching 'ABC'. My boy could already read PSLE Science books.
The teachers were loving and understanding. They gave him different activities and let him read to the class.

But we decided to change our focus for him this year. More enrichment classes (academic) and thus, we had to stop the afternoon kindy at PCF due to time constraints.

My main purpose was to keep him meaningfully occupied, not to stress him on the syllabus or worry that his other kindy doesn't cover the syllabus well enough (they do it so well, I'm so stressed with the weekly spelling).

It may not work out for every child, but it worked out for us.
My boy has high energy levels and on days he doesn't have enrichment classes (now), I dread bedtime.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Not necessarily 2kindergartens.

Some kids i know attend 1 kindergarten and one or two enrichment classes daily.

These kids have all the activities you could think of in a week. Poor child and helper or grandparents have to rush from one place to another.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:10 pm

No need 2 kindy. During my kids' preschool years, I signed them up for enrichment classes. In fact, I think kindy is optional whilst enrichment is 'compulsory'. They learned much more from enrichment classes than kindy. But kindy fulfilled another purpose - it's a ground for practising social skills. That's my main reason in sending them to a kindy. The secondary reason is to babysit one of them while I attend to another :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:28 pm

It would be wiser to sign up young children for enrichment classes if they attend one session in kindergarten instead of enrolling in 2 kindergartens of different sessions. We are talking about young children, not miniature adults.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zeng » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 pm

postpet wrote:Anyone enrolled your kids to 2 kindergartens in a day for PN or Nursery?
Had heard of friends doing so and since I am torn between 2 kindergartens, am thinking if I should join the wagon.

Your Kid will land up too tired getting ferried around, and increases the likelihood of infections.

Stick to 1 full day center if you are a FT mum.

Zeng
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phtthp » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:29 am

Zeng wrote:
postpet wrote:Anyone enrolled your kids to 2 kindergartens in a day for PN or Nursery?

Your Kid will land up too tired getting ferried around, and increases the likelihood of infections.

Stick to 1 full day center if you are a FT mum.

very tiring for a young child to attend 2 kindergarten.
just stick to one good one, and let child attend enrichment lessons for reinforcement will do.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Kindergartens