Child crying first few days in Kindergaten

Discuss specific kindergartens operators here.

Child crying first few days in Kindergaten

Postby clonob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 am

Hi,

My child is currently 2.5 years old. Just started pre-nursery. Have been crying for the past few days since beginning of classes this week, when parents not allowed to go into classroom. May I know how to pre-emp my child prior going to classes, to avoid her crying? Thanks a lot in advance.

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Child crying first few days in Kindergaten

Postby alng » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 am

clonob wrote:Hi,

My child is currently 2.5 years old. Just started pre-nursery. Have been crying for the past few days since beginning of classes this week, when parents not allowed to go into classroom. May I know how to pre-emp my child prior going to classes, to avoid her crying? Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi clonob,

It is difficult to pre-emp or prepare a child as young as 2.5 years old. She may not understand. You may have to invest time to phase her into school. Let me share with you my experience.

I had the same problem as you many years ago with my second son. My ds is in P2 now. I spent about 3 months to phase him into a school when he was about your child's age. He went to a montessori school.

I was allowed to stay with my child for the whole duration for about two whole weeks. At first, my son would not participate in any activities but just held my hand and sat on my lap. Then he slowly involved in the activities but with one of his hands holding my hand. Then I made myself disappeared once he got himself too involved in the activities and let go of my hand. But he would start to cry when he found me missing. And the teacher would carry him and showed him that I was outside waiting.

Slowly, his crying got shortened. He stopped crying when he believed that I was outside waiting. So I just sent him to class, waved bye bye at him when he entered class and waited outside his class. He might come near the window to wave at me and never one time, I failed to be there waving back. This gave him more confidence.

I also took the opportunity to talk to him about school bus and showed him how his classmates took school bus to school. I even introduced him to the school bus uncle and aunty.

The whole phase in took about three months. I remember I had to change my time table with my colleagues for one semester (I teach) so that I could bring my son to school then.

At the end of 3 months, when my son was ready for school bus, I put him on school bus. On the first day of taking the school bus, I was prepared to trail him to school after he boarded the bus. But I was pleasantly surprised. The school bus (mini van) came, he boarded the school bus, waved bye bye to me and there he went. When he returned, I was there waiting for him. Then my mother in law took over to send and fetch him from school bus. I went back to work without worry.

Today he is still a shy boy but he has much more confidence now. He likes school too.

I know some schools will just let the kids cry out. Most kids will stop after crying for a couple of weeks. But I do not believe in that. I feel very sim tia to see my children crying. I also do not want to risk my children having bad experiences with schools and then dislike schools. Learning is a long journey. So this was a criteria (letting me to sit in the class) when I select preschools for my children. Both my children went to the same montessori school.

I have no concrete advice for you. Each child is different. Every school has its own policies which parents should respect. As a parent, you know your child best and thus will know what is best for your child. All the best! This is not an easy period for both parent and child. Take care! :-)

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Child crying first few days in Kindergaten

Postby clonob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:56 pm

alng wrote:
clonob wrote:Hi,

Hi clonob,

It is difficult to pre-emp or prepare a child as young as 2.5 years old. She may not understand. You may have to invest time to phase her into school. Let me share with you my experience.

I had the same problem as you many years ago with my second son. My ds is in P2 now. I spent about 3 months to phase him into a school when he was about your child's age. He went to a montessori school.

I was allowed to stay with my child for the whole duration for about two whole weeks. At first, my son would not participate in any activities but just held my hand and sat on my lap. Then he slowly involved in the activities but with one of his hands holding my hand. Then I made myself disappeared once he got himself too involved in the activities and let go of my hand. But he would start to cry when he found me missing. And the teacher would carry him and showed him that I was outside waiting.

Slowly, his crying got shortened. He stopped crying when he believed that I was outside waiting. So I just sent him to class, waved bye bye at him when he entered class and waited outside his class. He might come near the window to wave at me and never one time, I failed to be there waving back. This gave him more confidence.

I also took the opportunity to talk to him about school bus and showed him how his classmates took school bus to school. I even introduced him to the school bus uncle and aunty.

The whole phase in took about three months. I remember I had to change my time table with my colleagues for one semester (I teach) so that I could bring my son to school then.

At the end of 3 months, when my son was ready for school bus, I put him on school bus. On the first day of taking the school bus, I was prepared to trail him to school after he boarded the bus. But I was pleasantly surprised. The school bus (mini van) came, he boarded the school bus, waved bye bye to me and there he went. When he returned, I was there waiting for him. Then my mother in law took over to send and fetch him from school bus. I went back to work without worry.

Today he is still a shy boy but he has much more confidence now. He likes school too.

I know some schools will just let the kids cry out. Most kids will stop after crying for a couple of weeks. But I do not believe in that. I feel very sim tia to see my children crying. I also do not want to risk my children having bad experiences with schools and then dislike schools. Learning is a long journey. So this was a criteria (letting me to sit in the class) when I select preschools for my children. Both my children went to the same montessori school.

I have no concrete advice for you. Each child is different. Every school has its own policies which parents should respect. As a parent, you know your child best and thus will know what is best for your child. All the best! This is not an easy period for both parent and child. Take care! :-)

Thanks a lot for the detailed advice :thankyou:

I saw your post much earlier but was not able to reply then.

You are a very dedicated parent! :salute:

Too bad my child's school doesn't allow parents to sit inside the class together, so I can't do much.

Anyway, she has settled down well now. So it is a relieve to me already :)

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Kindergartens