Big or small K2 Class?

Discuss specific kindergartens operators here.

Big or small K2 Class?

Postby korbu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:08 am

Hi Parents,

Would like your advise and opinion on whether a larger K2 class is beneficial for the child to transit to primary school. Or would a smaller class benefit the learning for the child at this level?

Currently my DD is in K1 with 22 kids in total and recently I've decided to send my DS to an infant care. Anyway, this is my DD's first year at this current school. She was in her previous CC for 2 years before we switched her here, because we shifted.

So I'm contemplating whether to send both siblings to the same CC now because my DD's CC doesn't offer infant care services. The new CC will obviously be smaller due to it being a new setup.

Apart from the convenience, I'm also wary of changing school for my DS at this stage. Any advice?

korbu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Big or small K2 Class?

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:03 am

dd1 was in CC for abt 2 yrs then went to kindy when I became sahm, and in mid k1, I changed her to another kindy with much smaller class size, 3 in her level, becos of pm session, seems many prefer am session. Her kindy is open concept, so she gets to interact with kids fr other levels too. She was ok in P1. She didnt conplain that she cannot cope with the crowd in P1. dd1 is a very adaptable child. I will not do what I did with ds or bb LOL.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:15 pm

22 is still compliant with MSF requirements. But if you want adequate attention and equal opp for your kid, the smaller the better, maybe 12-15 or so?

what do i mean by 'equal opp'? Say if they hv weekly Show & Tell or Presentation slots, or for that matter, weekly math exercises/reading/spelling, you'll agree that the smaller the class, the more attention the teacher can afford to give your kid.

It's time consuming to let every kid in that big class to go in front to present or show and tell. It's impossible to let them take turns to read aloud the readers in class. It's impossible to pick up their mispronunciation/guide them on phonics if your kid can't read well. It's tough to explain to weaker kids how to add and subtract, if they didn't catch it at first.

Don't think it'll affect kid's transition to P1 next time. Kids adapt very well.

Why would your infant DS find it diff to adapt? Can he already tell at this stage?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby korbu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:20 pm

oops, typo. the last sentence should be DD instead! :)

korbu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Kindergartens