Christian/Best Kindergarten around Sengkang/Punggol/Hougang

Discuss specific kindergartens operators here.

Christian/Best Kindergarten around Sengkang/Punggol/Hougang

Postby maturi.hani » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Dear Parents/Gurus/Experts,

I'm new to this group. But I'm much worried about my Kid's admission for nursery for 2015. I'm looking for some Christian missionary schools OR any best kindergarten schools.

Please please suggest some. I'm really confused. :?

I missed admission to Nativity church school. I don't want to miss others.

Kindly take your some time and suggest me.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Regards,
Hani

maturi.hani
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Christian/Best Kindergarten around Sengkang/Punggol/Houg

Postby Fq83 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi I am staying in hougang/SengKang area too... Looking for kindergarden for my girl to enrol pre-nursery for 2015.

So far I only went to visit DaySpring and Montessori Playroom.

If you do visit any good ones do let me know too :)

Fq83
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Littlekoh » Tue May 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Recommendations:

Pat School Hse Hougang, or maybe Mindchamps or Brain Buttons at YCK Road. My friend's 4 yo is at Pat School and have heard nothing but good reviews about them. Price is a bit steeper though.

Brian Buttons is good if you want more focus on academia.

Mindchamps seems to be good overall.

Avoid:

Chatsworth - Many good staff have left, overall management quality deteriorated with new principal whom my girlfriends told me they heard many horror stories of. When parents feedback to school on the downward spiral of standard, management was constantly defensive and dishonest.

Safety lapse was also big issue I heard, you have kids left out of school bus, new teachers hired who were inexperienced with kids, accidents go unreported and distorted accounts of incidents etc etc.

For non-Chinese speaking families, it will be a challenge too. So for Malays or Indians, or foreigners I am not sure how you are going to do this.

Here below is an excerpt of new principal's reply to Chinese parent who can't speak Mandarin:

"it is parents' responsibility to speak more Mandarin to their children and ensure they understand. While some parents prefer to leave it in the hands of the experts; others who are keen to learn Mandarin alongside with their children will take the leap to read hanyupinyin even though they knew they risk having it wrong (which they will eventually correct themselves when they converse with Chinese friends or check with the Mandarin teachers). I applaud the fact that at least they dare to try because honestly, it's can be quite embarassing for adults to speak in a foreign language... (for instance, you and I will probably feel shy to speak in Tamil initially!)”

Excerpt of new principal's reply to Indian parent:

“Wow, I am really impressed that you plan to take your girl's Chinese learning up another notch. It is never a piece of cake for children whose family background is not Mandarin speaking to learn Chinese. …….We have been posting youtube videos (Chinese songs) on the class blog once fortnightly. These are songs that have been taught in class. You can play those videos when your girl is at home. ... Additionally, the school does not encourage parents who are non Chinese speaking to use Han yu pin yin as a method to teach their children as there will be a high chance of mispronunciation]……………………………

So there you go, on one hand parents are encourage to use hanyu pinyin and on the other hand their are also told that using hanyu pinyin is not encouraged. Seems the answer is dependent on which is the more convenient answer.

Littlekoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Strong Mummy » Fri May 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Same like you, As my child is born in the year 2011, we are hoping to settle down her school for her when she reach K1-2 in another 2 years.
but in this area.

You have to know that church kindergarten is not very academic driven, Sing songs, reading bibles etc and teaching children to be more caring, loving etc.
Most church kindergartens are not very academic driven
I went St Anne, Nativity church and even further marymount and I am not very convinced,
So you have to be clear if you want a church environment is because you want your child to grow familar with the bible, then is ok,
Otherwise, you can alway send your children to sunday class instead if you are a christian or catholic family

As for Montessori playroom at hougang- is a husband and wife team which meant no one to complaint if you are not happy. Sad to say this..
The price is not price as the place is small. the older kids are taught at a small corner for chinese (the area where the school children placed their shoes there)

If you are not particular just like me, then you can consider this.But note this is a montessori concept. Not all children can adapt to montessori disclipine environment too:)

As for Dayspring- you might love it because there are lot of PRC indians who children are there. but if you really ask me, because my neighbours are PRC indians and they told me the school fees keep increasing.... the academic is not driven focus. So you have to be very sure where your children stand at this point.

Currently, I placed my child into a montessori school at kovan- New and the teachers are from montessori well establised school. Is a small setup along the shophouses and is called Totsville. But environment is clean. Academic for K1-k2 is strong in Maths.
Chinese teacher is ex primary school teacher. Old school teacher actually are more stern and strict to deliver results.

Maths montessori are strong. At age 3- because my girl used to be home sch by me, now back to school, she learn faster though is a recap / revision which i feel is okay as I want her to have school skills.

So her peers is learning odd and even, Opposites. writing alphabets. number counting:)
I hope this info is more than enough?

Hope can help you
Cheerios

Strong Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby greatmeme » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:56 am

I've heard quite a lot about Totsville Montessori recently. Seems like a pretty good school if you're staying near kovan/hougang.

greatmeme
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Callamummy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:47 pm

[quote="Strong Mummy"]Same like you, As my child is born in the year 2011, we are hoping to settle down her school for her when she reach K1-2 in another 2 years.
but in this area.

You have to know that church kindergarten is not very academic driven, Sing songs, reading bibles etc and teaching children to be more caring, loving etc.
I went St Anne, Nativity church and even further marymount and I am not very convinced,
So you have to be clear if you want a church environment is because you want your child to grow familar with the bible, then is ok,
Otherwise, you can alway send your children to sunday class instead if you are a christian or catholic family

As for Montessori playroom at hougang- is a husband and wife team which meant no one to complaint if you are not happy. Sad to say this..
The price is not price as the place is small. the older kids are taught at a small corner for chinese (the area where the school children placed their shoes there)

If you are not particular just like me, then you can consider this.But note this is a montessori concept. Not all children can adapt to montessori disclipine environment too:)

As for Dayspring- you might love it because there are lot of PRC indians who children are there. but if you really ask me, because my neighbours are PRC indians and they told me the school fees keep increasing.... the academic is not driven focus. So you have to be very sure where your children stand at this point.

Currently, I placed my child into a montessori school at kovan- New and the teachers are from montessori well establised school. Is a small setup along the shophouses and is called Totsville. But environment is clean. Academic for K1-k2 is strong in Maths.
Chinese teacher is ex primary school teacher. Old school teacher actually are more stern and strict to deliver results.

Maths montessori are strong. At age 3- because my girl used to be home sch by me, now back to school, she learn faster though is a recap / revision which i feel is okay as I want her to have school skills.

So her peers is learning odd and even, Opposites. writing alphabets. number counting:)

Hope can help you
Cheerios[/quote]

Hi, mind sharing how much are the fees for totsville? And if there's any sch bus svc? Thks.

Callamummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mom2boys » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Parents,

Does anyone has idea if there's any kinder in this area provide 4hr daily programme? Realised mostly are only 3hrs.

Thanks in advance :)

mom2boys
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby babyjan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:08 am

Hi Mummies,

Anyone with kids in Cathlolic Kindergarten or have enrolled in 2015?

I have registered a place for my boy for pre-nursery in 2015 but just received a letter from the school informing of the temporarry closure of the school compound at Flower Rd for reno and the kindergarten will be relocated to Maris Stella @ Bartely in 2015.

As I am staying in Punggol, the shift to Bartely will be further away and not as accessible as kovan. Wondering should I pull out now? Any advice pls?

babyjan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby maturi.hani » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:44 pm

Sorry for delay in response.

But very useful information. Thanks a million. :goodpost: :thankyou:

Littlekoh wrote:Recommendations:

Pat School Hse Hougang, or maybe Mindchamps or Brain Buttons at YCK Road. My friend's 4 yo is at Pat School and have heard nothing but good reviews about them. Price is a bit steeper though.

Brian Buttons is good if you want more focus on academia.

Mindchamps seems to be good overall.

Avoid:

Chatsworth - Many good staff have left, overall management quality deteriorated with new principal whom my girlfriends told me they heard many horror stories of. When parents feedback to school on the downward spiral of standard, management was constantly defensive and dishonest.

Safety lapse was also big issue I heard, you have kids left out of school bus, new teachers hired who were inexperienced with kids, accidents go unreported and distorted accounts of incidents etc etc.

For non-Chinese speaking families, it will be a challenge too. So for Malays or Indians, or foreigners I am not sure how you are going to do this.

Here below is an excerpt of new principal's reply to Chinese parent who can't speak Mandarin:

"it is parents' responsibility to speak more Mandarin to their children and ensure they understand. While some parents prefer to leave it in the hands of the experts; others who are keen to learn Mandarin alongside with their children will take the leap to read hanyupinyin even though they knew they risk having it wrong (which they will eventually correct themselves when they converse with Chinese friends or check with the Mandarin teachers). I applaud the fact that at least they dare to try because honestly, it's can be quite embarassing for adults to speak in a foreign language... (for instance, you and I will probably feel shy to speak in Tamil initially!)”

Excerpt of new principal's reply to Indian parent:

“Wow, I am really impressed that you plan to take your girl's Chinese learning up another notch. It is never a piece of cake for children whose family background is not Mandarin speaking to learn Chinese. …….We have been posting youtube videos (Chinese songs) on the class blog once fortnightly. These are songs that have been taught in class. You can play those videos when your girl is at home. ... Additionally, the school does not encourage parents who are non Chinese speaking to use Han yu pin yin as a method to teach their children as there will be a high chance of mispronunciation]……………………………

So there you go, on one hand parents are encourage to use hanyu pinyin and on the other hand their are also told that using hanyu pinyin is not encouraged. Seems the answer is dependent on which is the more convenient answer.

maturi.hani
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby maturi.hani » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Sorry for the delay in response.

It's really helpful. Thanks a million. :thankyou: :goodpost:

Strong Mummy wrote:Same like you, As my child is born in the year 2011, we are hoping to settle down her school for her when she reach K1-2 in another 2 years.
but in this area.

Hope can help you
Cheerios

maturi.hani
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Kindergartens