My 2-Year Old Wakes Up in the Middle of the Night

Talk about issues regarding looking after babies in the 1st 3 years of their lives.
coccomie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: My 2-Year Old Wakes Up in the Middle of the Night

Post by coccomie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:14 am

could be over-stimulated. Cut down on tv during the day and try.

LucyL
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by LucyL » Tue May 14, 2019 10:59 am

My 2 year old son used to wake me up in the middle of the night to ask for milk.. we are thinking he has a very fast metabolism since he's quite well fed before going to sleep..

Gya_Putri
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Gya_Putri » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 am

coccomie wrote:
Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:14 am
could be over-stimulated. Cut down on tv during the day and try.
My daughter is the same and she's 3 now. Do you think over-stimulated can be the reason? Bcs my daughter reaaally loves to play and always wanting to know new things and play all the time that she refuses to sleep unless she's very tired/sleepy.

Does anyone know game for training child's attention?

hb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by hb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Gya_Putri wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 am
My daughter is the same and she's 3 now. Do you think over-stimulated can be the reason? Bcs my daughter reaaally loves to play and always wanting to know new things and play all the time that she refuses to sleep unless she's very tired/sleepy.

Does she nap in the day? My dd is a bit like this and the naps they have to take at childcare really messes up her bedtime. She's 4 now and does wake up in the middle of the night but can put herself back to sleep - so don't despair. :)

Otherwise, I think some kids are just not good sleepers - they're probably going to grow up into the kind of person who works hard and plays hard and does it all on 5 hours of sleep a night, on good nights (this is not necessarily a bad thing).

Gya_Putri
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Gya_Putri » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:48 am

hb wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm
Gya_Putri wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 am

Does she nap in the day? My dd is a bit like this and the naps they have to take at childcare really messes up her bedtime. She's 4 now and does wake up in the middle of the night but can put herself back to sleep - so don't despair. :)

Otherwise, I think some kids are just not good sleepers - they're probably going to grow up into the kind of person who works hard and plays hard and does it all on 5 hours of sleep a night, on good nights (this is not necessarily a bad thing).
Her bedtime is always changing. Tried to rotate it and set a routine but only work for a week or two and it'll start rotating again. The thing is that she wants me to play with her during the night and not letting me sleep, causing me lacking of sleep. We don't have baby sitter, and I'm a working mom, so. My mom watch over her during the day and she always keep her awake and not letting her to have a nap. Even so she still have a lot of energy to play up till dawn. What did I do wrong?

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:333

Post by Funz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 am

What time do you put her to bed and what time does she wake up in the morning?

Some kids are high energy and will need physical activities to wind them down. DD was like that since the day she was born she sleeps very little. Newborn and she is awake most of the time. Each sleep cycle is less than an hour compared to other infants who sleep 2-3hrs each cycle. Even before she was 4yrs old she stopped napping. Up until she was about 5/6yrs old she wakes up very couple of hours at night and it takes an hour or more to get her back to sleep again. I had to make sure she has enough physical activity to spend all that energy or I will have meltdowns happening.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:28

Post by jedamum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:16 am

Maybe can look into her diet.
We don't give my hyper boy any sweets or sweetdrinks or chocolates at all when he is young. Now at 13 yrs old. The only sweets he eats are lozenges for his throat and no sugar drinks. I eat whatever sweets or chocolates he brought home from school. Lol.
A routine is also pretty important for active kids. It helps to keep the parents sane.

hb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by hb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 am

I wanted to say, I don't think it's about doing things wrong! Some kids just have a lot of energy. Mine have fought sleep since they were newborns.

For the playing at night, could you just...not? Either DH or I will sleep with DD if/when she wakes up at night (whole different problem - how do you get a kid to sleep independently??), but that's all we do - just sleep. We usually pass out before her, and I guess she eventually puts herself to bed. My rule for her is that she doesn't have to sleep if she can't, she just has to lie down quietly and rest (quietly is key), and this usually works for night sleep if she is actually tired.