Baby Food

Talk about issues regarding looking after babies in the 1st 3 years of their lives.

Baby Food

Postby lifestylelink » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:42 pm

My son is 8 months old. He has been sick since 29 Oct :( . My MIL blamed me for not taking good care of him. Any of you gave your baby barley water and heinz pear puree? She said those gave him stomach wind and too 'cooling'.

He now have bronchitis. I am so worried about him. Doesn't drink his milk either, used to be a big eater.

Hubby complained that the heinz rice cereal is not nutritious enough thats why his immunity is low. Any of you tried M.rabbit brown rice w/ikan bili, yangsheng etc from NTUC fairprice? If yes, please let me know. My MIL said those are better for baby, but I afraid it will give him allergy at this young age.

Any advice is appreciated.

lifestylelink
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Baby Food

Postby angela » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:26 pm

lifestylelink wrote:My son is 8 months old. He has been sick since 29 Oct :( . My MIL blamed me for not taking good care of him. Any of you gave your baby barley water and heinz pear puree? She said those gave him stomach wind and too 'cooling'.

He now have bronchitis. I am so worried about him. Doesn't drink his milk either, used to be a big eater.

Hubby complained that the heinz rice cereal is not nutritious enough thats why his immunity is low. Any of you tried M.rabbit brown rice w/ikan bili, yangsheng etc from NTUC fairprice? If yes, please let me know. My MIL said those are better for baby, but I afraid it will give him allergy at this young age.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi, my daughter is 7 months old. She is taken care by my mother. My mother gives her Barley drink once a while ( like 3 weeks once). I never give my girl heinz pear puree but I fed her with pear puree which prepared by my mother.

I don't trust the instant brown rice w/ikan bili, yangsheng as I afraid that some ingredients might add into it. My mother cooks porridge with brown rice and some vegetables, fish to feed my girl. She is eating fine. Do you feed your boy with porridge or cereal?

angela
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mintcc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:55 am

I tried M.rabbit brown rice w/ikan bili before. I use to experiment with different Heinz baby puree and nestle baby cereal from NTUC.

However, that is in addition to porridge with puree corn/carrots/cabbage/broccoli and milk and eggs. Nutrition wise, it is best to give the baby a balance diet and a variety of food.

But bronchitis is due to infection, not wind or being too cooling lah. Important thing is get the bronchitis cure first then built up his immune system. Have you bring him to see a pediatrician yet?
Last edited by mintcc on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:14 am

lifestylelink wrote:...My MIL blamed me for not taking good care of him...

MILs.... *shivers*.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby sashimi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:09 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
MILs.... *shivers*.

Yeah lor.... *rolls eyes*.

lifestylelink, I think it's relatively normal for infants to be sick from time to time, but I do sympathize. :( ? Immunity can take quite a few years to grow.

When they are sick, their appetite will be significantly reduced, and it's not unheard of for babies to hardly eat anything when they are sick.

Besides food, have you considered other factors? Like dusty environment, dust mites in bedlinen, air-con, even mold growing in the bottle.

Our random weather is also extremely unhelpful.

Foodwise.... my advice to you is to observe your child's reaction to various foods. Do not blindly follow what others tell you - because no two kids are alike. Some kids are ok with certain foods, others are not. Things like barley may not be good for all kids.

I would say that at this age, the best food is mother's milk - which is renowned for its ability to strengthen the child's immunity.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Much Better

Postby lifestylelink » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:38 pm

Brought my son to PD this morning. Bronchitis is much better. But need to continue with medicine. I know kids fall sick easily, he got it from us, we were all taking turns falling sick. But of course the main starting point was that I brought him to the zoo... sigh....

PD said generally better, but phlegm is still there so need to continue with medicine for another 9-10 days. And then he is teething now (lower incisor coming out), a little saw. Also, overdue for 2nd pneumococca jab, PD said better not to delay. But 1st penucoccca jab gave him bad allergy effect.. sign.....

Now, daddy step in, go the traditional way. No instant rice cereal. Only brown rice that needs cooking. I have to agree. Just afraid that my MIL will add too much salt. She used to give her other grandchildren sweetened milk. Scary.

Now that he is 8 months old, I think his digestive system is more developed so not so worry.

Thanks all.

lifestylelink
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mintcc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:28 pm

glad your boy is better... youngs kids do get sick very often and it is part and parcel of growing up, so don't blame yourself. Injections too and the reaction to it too...hianz.

The family/in laws way of doing things vs our own is always a delicate issue, especially when it comes to kids. But ultimately, every one has the interest of the little one at heart. ..if scare MIL put too much salt, only other way is to cook it ourselves...

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lifestylelink » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:24 am

He is my first child, after trying for 8 years. First grandchild from his son so super precious, in my opinion, over reacted. I of course also kan cheong but more laid back, however MIL is very alert, which is good just need to get used to her lingo. Sometime she tell me something, I can't catch it.

lifestylelink
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sashimi » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:06 am

We're always more kiasu, stressed and unprepared with our first child. :)

If phlegm is very bad, you may have to reduce feeding of dairy products (and not to mention anything from citrus fruits/products). Dairy products like milk will worsen the phelgm, as they feed the bacteria too. Keep this in mind as your child grows up.

lifestylelink, don't blame yourself (about the zoo) - you can't predict such things. It happens to all of us. Eg. if I could foresee the day my daughter would have a bad fall at the playground and lose two teeth, I would have prevented her from going. But we can't predict the future, so don't blame yourself. Take heart and learn from it. :)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Hao » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:41 am

Hi lifestylelink, supposedly, first yr no salt and sugar in food for child. My mother feeds my son with barley too, if it is just pure barley, the cooling effect is mild, just don add any herbs in the barley, scared that it is too cooling.

Hao
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Looking After Babies