Baby not sleeping in cot

Talk about issues regarding looking after babies in the 1st 3 years of their lives.

Baby not sleeping in cot

Postby alvinlkw » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:51 am

Dear parents,

Do you have any encounter with your own children or children you know who simply refuse to sleep in their cot when you put them down? My daughter hates her cot now. She was ok before turning 1 and right after her birthday, she just cry when I put her into her cot. We tried every method to make her sleep ie conjole her, let her play with her toys, hold her hand etc but it just doesn't work. We are very stressed and tired...Is there something wrong with the child? Do we need to see a psychologist?

:?:
Alvin

alvinlkw
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Baby not sleeping in cot

Postby BlueBells » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:57 am

I had the exact same problem as you did when my DD was younger. In the end, we ditch the cot, and bought her a regular day bed for adult. We bought a child bed rail, and placed a mattress on the floor (in case she wakes up at night and fell off, mattress will provide some cushion). From that day onwards, my DD never looked back. She was 1+ then, and she sleeps in her own room, alone.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sunflowerseed84 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:28 am

time to move on to a proper child bed?

sunflowerseed84
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby alvinlkw » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks for the advice. My girl also like to sleep on our bed instead of her cot. I might think that space constraint seems like an issue but she sleeps through the night in the cot when we carry her in after she falls asleep on our bed. I read around and it's likely that we need to set a routine for her so that she will know when to play and when to sleep. I will try with the routine first and see how it goes. Her cot can actually be transformed into a toddler bed. Hopefully that may be another choice for us.

alvinlkw
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby alvinlkw » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:32 am

sunflowerseed84 wrote:time to move on to a proper child bed?

I am not too sure about that. Is it too young to do so? Her cot can be converted into a bed if we need to.

alvinlkw
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby beardpapa80 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:34 am

I guess it's time to start training your child a good sleeping routine. If not she will get used to falling asleep in your bed instead.

Try getting her to do some light reading in her own bed after getting one?

beardpapa80
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby leeweyleon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi guys,

Whats happening now to my daughter of 2.5 months old is similar to the same symptoms. She is used to sleeping in between us firstly what we could feel that its the warmth and sense of someone being around. She was puking more on her own bed, but when with us she never puked.
To be frank, we could tell that the cot is rather "lonely" though it was in the same room.

I did quite a bit of reading off the internet about getting routines and when the baby cries in the cot pick her up and then keep trying to pacify and putting her down again. like keep repeating till she is okay.
Some other articles was that to let her cry herself to sleep.
i asked some other child theraphist, he was saying that a child too young should not be exposed to letting cry themselves to sleep.

my 2 cents worth, try anything possible but not damaging to the child. training is good to start early but not to the extent of phobia.

Regards
Nick

leeweyleon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:03 pm

None of my 3 kids like to sleep in the cot since babies. Don't know the reason. They prefer to sleep with me. Now the 2 older ones sleep on their beds and bb is with me. Since I breastfeed, it's also easier for me during night feeds.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby poppy15 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:53 pm

maybe can try using ur own bedsheet to wrap ard the baby mattress; let the child smell & knowing u are near :scratchhead:

or let them sleep on ur bed first & slowly transfer them over to their cot.

poppy15
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KiasuAdult » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:44 pm

my mum also told me that i never liked sleeping in a cot i would cry for the whole day really non-stop crying until they moved me to their queen sized bed :smile: and i have been sleeping there till now.

KiasuAdult
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Looking After Babies