Electric slow cooker or stove?

Talk about issues regarding looking after babies in the 1st 3 years of their lives.

Do you use electric slow cooker or stove for your 6 months old baby?

Electric slow cooker
50%
Stove
No votes
Both
50%

Total votes : 4

Electric slow cooker or stove?

Postby northernstar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 am

hi all parents here,

i would like to know whether you use electric slow cooker or stove to cook porridge and soups when you want to cook for your 6 months old baby and why, as i'm a first-time mom :smile:

:thankyou:

northernstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Electric slow cooker or stove?

Postby DesertWind » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi northenstar,

For us nothing special used in cooking porridge. Usually I will use the electric rice-cooker which can also cook porridge. For soup also nothing very special, just use those normal kitchen utensils and pots etc. It is more the ingredients that we must be very careful when cooking for BB. For me now I am planning towards my 10 month-old eating same porridge and soup as us. I think plain porridge is not a problem but soup because we add flavour cubes so I think not suitable for BB. I am planning to make just pure vegetable soup (clear soup with corn, carrot, potato eg.) and then freeze the soup into cubes to be used when needed to feed BB.

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Depends om whether i'm organised enough, have time to jaga the stove, and what he's eating for yhe day. If I'm cooking porridge and I don't have time to mind the stove, I'll use the slow cooker (small-sized). I'll turn it on in the morning and I'll go busy myself with stuff. By lunchtime the porridge is ready. Food is enough for two meals. Sometimes, he'll just eat what we're eating. Sometimes, i'll steam some veg and fish for him in the rice-cooker or above our soup and he'll eat it with rice (he can eat rice).

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby hokkiengirl » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Oh, I actually use the small thermal pot to cook porridge and soup for the toddler. Just throw in some rice and water (or stock if you like), heat it over the stove till it boils, turn off the fire and put the metal pot into the container. Minimum of one hour later, voila! Watery porridge! Can throw in carrots or other hard root vege to boil at the same time. Saves gas and electricity and there's no need to monitor the cooking beyond the first ten minutes or so. For thicker porridge akin to Cantonese chok, just add less water (stock is better) and some 'new rice' (er, sin bee in Hokkien; don't know the actual English term) for a smooth consistency.

By the time it got to the third kid, I simply put cooked vege (spinach, carrot, broccoli, puay leng, etc) into the blender and made puree for vege ice cubes which could last me a week or so. For a six to seven-month-old baby, they eat so little that it is not really worth the time to mash or blend by hand before every meal. I did it for my first son; by the time, it got to the baby (3rd child), I had to prioritise practicality and speed. But the experts mostly agree that frozen food made from scratch, if done right, is reasonably nutritious, too. The bottomline is that it saved me a lot of pain every meal time and prevented a nervous breakdown. :smile: By the time Baby was 8 months old, he was old enough to handle coarser textures, so the blending and freezing stopped.

hokkiengirl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby northernstar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:37 pm

hokkiengirl wrote: By the time Baby was 8 months old, he was old enough to handle coarser textures, so the blending and freezing stopped.

but your baby had teeth when he was 8 months already? cos u fed him coarser food.

northernstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hokkiengirl » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:07 pm

northernstar wrote:but your baby had teeth when he was 8 months already? cos u fed him coarser food.

By 8 months, he had a few teeth, but not many. I think he only had four - two at the top and two at the bottom. The texture of the food was based on the pamphlet I got from the polyclinic nurses. It is coarser but doesn't require intensive chewing. It's just that it is no longer super fine, like pureed food. Think in terms of thicker porridge, mashed fish or chicken and slightly bigger bits of vege. The chewing only came later when more teeth spouted at 12 months. Anyway, I read online that babies use their gums to 'chew' soft food, so the texture should be acceptable to them. :)

hokkiengirl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi,

Didn't expect to find baby topics in KSP!
I'm so happy!

My boy is going 7mths in a week's time.
We've started him on porridge. Using thermal pot to cook (saves time and money).

Just wash and place ingredients in, add water, boil for 5-10 minutes, place pot in thermal holder and wait!
So far we got very nice and smooth porridge. My maid opens it to stir every hour. 3 hours and it's done. Save a lot of electricity, don't have to worry about it burning. Fantastic for mummies/caregivers having to watch active babies (mine is starting to crawl EVERYWHERE).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:57 am

Grind up the rice grains and keep it in a container in the fridge. When it's time to cook, put it in a little bowl with prepared stock or water, and finely chopped vegetables. Put the bowl into your rice cooker and cook with the rice. They will be ready at the same time.

Stock - you can prepare your homemade stock over the weekend. Strain and freeze in covered ice trays. Take out and use as needed.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Looking After Babies