Pacifier use

Talk about issues regarding looking after babies in the 1st 3 years of their lives.

Pacifier use

Postby hairuliza » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi

I know some parents are against the use of a pacifier for their babies.
However, I did read somewhere that it helps reduce colic, & since I thought I'm only going to use it for my boy's sleeptime, I can easily wean him from it when he's 18 months.

The prob is, he's 18 months now & still is dependent on it.
Tried the cold turkey thing, he ended up in tantrums then crying for close to an hour.
Also tried the 'offer other soothing methods' thing.
So I sang lullaby for him till he falls asleep.
This works at times & doesn't work at other times.
Though he still speaks a bit of gibberish, he does articulate that he wants the pacifier when it's naptime or sleeptime.

Really want to stop him... because of course prolonged usage may misalign his teeth & cause him to wear braces in the future.

hairuliza
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Also trying to stop pacifier use

Postby M3 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi,

I am also trying to wean my girl off the pacifier. She is coming to one year old.

I am very afraid of doing so as she is a difficult baby at night time. She cannot sleep well and the pacifier was our answer. Plus she is also teething and it helps.

My MIL put Tiger balm on the pacifier in the past to stop my hubby from taking the pacifier. But I dun want to do that.

Would also appreciate if I can get other ideas.

M3
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:26 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Jennifer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:30 pm

I first tried to wean my #2 off his pacifier before he turned one. Almost succeeded as he slept for a couple of nights w/o it. Then he was sick and very hard to coax. So I popped the pacifier into his mouth. It definitely comforted him greatly. So we were stucked with it.

Come his 2nd birthday, I prepped him that he is a young boy, not a baby soon, so we needed to do some adjustment which included throwing all the pacifiers away. He was quite happy with the grown up notion. No fuss at all in the end.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23241
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Re: Pacifier use

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 pm

hairuliza wrote:Really want to stop him... because of course prolonged usage may misalign his teeth & cause him to wear braces in the future.


#1 did not use pacifier. His milk teeth were neatly lined.

#2 used pacifier. His jaw is larger with many small gaps in between the milk teeth. Good alignment.

I foresee both would need braces becos the adult teeth are so untidy.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23241
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 106


Postby cmm » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:40 pm

I read somewhere in my baby care books that pacifier use should be limited to the first two years, for proper dentl development.

In the weeks leading up to his 2nd birthday, I tried many ways to get him to quit, all in vain.

Finally, about 2 wks after he turned 2yrs old, I put the pacific in a small container together with some dark vinegar. I was hoping that even he would be put off by the sour taste of the vinegar.

As it turned out, he thought the pacifier was very dirty & didn't even want to try... SUCCESS :wink:

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:15 pm
Total Likes: 1



Cut the pacifier teat into half the size

Postby GreenQ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:55 am

Hi juz to share...

I stopped my son fr sucking pacifier b4 he turns to 8 or 9 mths. [I only gave him pacifier in his sleeping time. And only gave to this elder son as the youngest son refused pacifier.]

The reason was cos he keep crying once the pacifier dropped fr his mouth after he fall to sleep. That was quite tired for both baby and mummy through out the whole nite.

So I cut the pacifier teat into 3/4 of the original size. Got one big hole. Then I passed to him. Hey... he tried for once, twice, third time.... he took out. Then, he put back into his mouth again. Took out one more time. Diff feeling of sucking it. He didn't feel to suck it.

Then he continued to hold the pacifier for few times when he wanted to sleep. But nv felt to suck it anymore. SUCCEED! :)

GreenQ
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:32 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby sashimi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:37 pm

That's really clever, GreenQ!

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:21 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: Also trying to stop pacifier use

Postby MLR » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:01 pm

M3 wrote:My MIL put Tiger balm on the pacifier in the past to stop my hubby from taking the pacifier. But I dun want to do that.


OMGosh :!: YUCKS ........ Did heard about using chilli, ginger, onion sort of stuff.

One of my cousin switch from pacifier to thumb, as a result her right thumb is deform, as in shorter and more like a knob.

If the child is 2 and above, may want to try using the nail bites solution:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 6&start=30

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:28 am
Total Likes: 0


In the process of weaning

Postby M3 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks Green Q for your suggestion.

My gal is exactly like your son. I showed my hubby your post and he says we shall try it!

Actually I am also quite afraid to wean her off cos when she is unwell, she can really fuss. Plus we are travelling to NZ in Dec and if we wean her off, we have one less way to comfort her.

Hmmmm...

M3
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:26 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Cut the pacifier teat into half the size

Postby hairuliza » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:05 am

GreenQ wrote:Hi juz to share...

I stopped my son fr sucking pacifier b4 he turns to 8 or 9 mths. [I only gave him pacifier in his sleeping time. And only gave to this elder son as the youngest son refused pacifier.]

The reason was cos he keep crying once the pacifier dropped fr his mouth after he fall to sleep. That was quite tired for both baby and mummy through out the whole nite.

So I cut the pacifier teat into 3/4 of the original size. Got one big hole. Then I passed to him. Hey... he tried for once, twice, third time.... he took out. Then, he put back into his mouth again. Took out one more time. Diff feeling of sucking it. He didn't feel to suck it.

Then he continued to hold the pacifier for few times when he wanted to sleep. But nv felt to suck it anymore. SUCCEED! :)


Brilliant!
Will try that & report whether it works.
Wish me luck! :pray:

hairuliza
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Looking After Babies