My 2-Year Old Wakes Up in the Middle of the Night

Talk about issues regarding looking after babies in the 1st 3 years of their lives.

My 2-Year Old Wakes Up in the Middle of the Night

Postby senseimichael » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:03 pm

I need some advice here. My youngest kid keeps waking up every night, in the middle of the night, for many reasons.

1. He wants to watch TV (unbelievable!).
2. He wants to drink milk (already told him no many times).
3. He wants to squeeze with us on the bed.

Basically he just does not sleep soundly.

We have tried not letting him watch TV, not letting him play with his elder brothers (8 and 11 years older!) before he sleep, to no avail. He still wakes up in the middle of the night.

Anyone can give any advice how to deal with this? It has never happened to my other two older boys. One slept soundly from 2 months onwards, the other from 2 years (he only woke up for milk before then, nothing else).

It sure is tough dealing with a toddler when you are in your 40s!

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: My 2-Year Old Wakes Up in the Middle of the Night

Postby 365psych » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 am

Try giving him a warm bath before bed time. See if it works.

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 am

Sounds like either he isn't sleepy enough, or he doesn't get enough attention during the day. You can try cutting his day-time sleeping hours, and giving him more one-to-one attention during the day.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bungii » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:52 am

If you are too tired to deal with it, let him sleep with you till you think he is ready to sleep in his own bed, perhaps beside your bed.
When he is old enough, or have great relationship with his siblings, he would want to sleep with them. When he is even older, he would want his own room. :smile:

Bungii
Site Admin

Postby Harlequin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:54 am

Hi,

Does he has sinusitis or any nasal issues? This could disrupt his sleep and once he is woken up involuntary, being a 2yo kid naturally he asks to do things that he likes... watch tv, drink milk.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby senseimichael » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:11 pm

365psych wrote:Try giving him a warm bath before bed time. See if it works.

We'd try this, thank you!

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby senseimichael » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:13 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Sounds like either he isn't sleepy enough, or he doesn't get enough attention during the day. You can try cutting his day-time sleeping hours, and giving him more one-to-one attention during the day.

I think the second one is more likely. I'd get my wife to work on this. Thank you. One thing I noticed is that he is always, always looking so forward to his two elder brothers to return home from school, so that he can play with them.

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby senseimichael » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Bungii wrote:If you are too tired to deal with it, let him sleep with you till you think he is ready to sleep in his own bed, perhaps beside your bed.
When he is old enough, or have great relationship with his siblings, he would want to sleep with them. When he is even older, he would want his own room. :smile:

He sleeps in his own mattress, besides our bed, in our room. The original arrangement was him sleeping with his elder brothers, but they complained of him waking them up to play at night!

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby senseimichael » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Harlequin wrote:Hi,

Does he has sinusitis or any nasal issues? This could disrupt his sleep and once he is woken up involuntary, being a 2yo kid naturally he asks to do things that he likes... watch tv, drink milk.

The last we checked, no nasal issues. The attention thing cited by a previous poster is very likely the issue. Looks like he may need to go to school soon.

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby playnpray » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:49 pm

His behavior is normal for a two year old. My son not only shares the same room as us, in the middle of the night, he needs to be hugging me. When I allow him to do that (I continue sleeping), he doesn't need to wake up as his needs are met.

playnpray
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Looking After Babies