Secondary and upper primary female maths tutor available!

Use this forum if you provide Tuition, or Enrichment courses. KiasuParents.com takes no responsibility for any transactions that take place here.
Last post expiry: 21 days
Forum rules Important note: Service providers are only allowed to start at MOST ONE thread in the Tuition & Enrichment Forum. Service providers who create multiple threads in our Forums advertising their services will have their accounts terminated, and their service placed on our block list. Please cooperate. Thank you.

Secondary and upper primary female maths tutor available!

Postby misswong » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:08 am

Hi parents and kids,

I'm a full time maths tutor teaching primary 5-6 and sec1-5 with 5 years of experience, am also MOE registered relief teacher and accredited social worker. I also teach upper pri and lower sec science and upper sec pure chemistry. Any parents whose kids request for maths/science tuition for extra support can email me at misswong91@hotmail.com or PM me, we can discuss further on the child's needs and how I can come in to support. I would also offer free first meet-up session so that you can also see for yourself whether it is a good fit with no obligation to hire me after that if deemed not suitable :) I believe in shaping the child's learning attitude in the process instead of only chasing good results through active engagement with the child!

Currently, I have limited slots left and I do understand that kids nowadays are equally packed in school, haha! Woodlands tuition is preferred but other locations can be discussed and arranged to fit into my current schedule. Feel free to email me if you are interested to engage me or find out more info from me! :)

Miss Wong
misswong91@hotmail.com :rahrah:

misswong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Secondary and upper primary female maths tutor available

Postby misswong » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:02 am

What should we prioritise?

Just thought I could give some reflection here based on my experience in providing tuition. My 2cents worth, you can take it with a pinch of salt.

As much as academic results are important, I also hope that parents also care more about the kid's social and emotional development.

There are kids who follow instructions, memorise the steps and score well. While on surface, they are obedient and excelling in their school work, however in my opinion, it is not that great if they are blindly following, without the passion and motivation to want to learn and explore new things. That's when they are losing out and that's also where I hope to come in to make a difference - to develop their interest in learning and the motivation to want to do well not only in exams but in different aspects of their life. Learning is a lifelong journey and doesn't just restrict to that nearly 20years of studies. We want the next generation to be compassionate, self-motivated individuals and one who never stop exploring new ideas, no? And that starts from us, adults, to send the correct message that results don't define who they are as a person.

To be continued....

Miss Wong's reflection :rahrah:

misswong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby misswong » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Encouragement and Reassurance

I realise how much encouragement and reassurance can affect a child's self-confidence and motivation. I do have kids who have shown great improvement in their learning attitude and academic results after several lessons with me which include occasional genuine praises and encouragement to provide some motivation for the kids to want to do better. Things as simple as the kid doing the tuition homework is already worth praising due to their hectic schedule at school, CCAs and enrichment classes.

However, what some kids hear from the adults around them is mostly filled with negativity and discouragement such as "why are you so lazy/forgetful/not doing enough/not hardworking enough/irresponsible". These kill interest and motivation. Even when they do something right, they seldom hear praises. Maybe it is also our Asian culture which conditioned us to pin point bad and take good as a given that does not require much mention.

Let's all try to make some effort to boost these kids' confidence by simply finding specific things (good habit/effort made/improvement shown) to praise or encourage them for. Who knows, maybe you will start seeing your kids doing more of the rights than wrongs, putting in more effort than expected or shows improvement in their attitude because they like to hear good things about them from us all? Just rmb that we have to be specific on what we praise them for more than just "you are a good boy/good girl/smart kid", all these are scientifically proven as ineffective praising and may backfire.

Food for thought :)

misswong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby misswong » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Difference between helping and supporting

Sometimes, I heard of tuition request for tutors to help kids do their graded assignments or even parents themselves help the kids do the work, rather than teach them to do it themselves. Yes, the kids scored one of the highest in class for that assignment but what else did the kid gain from this experience?

They learned that it is okay if their work is not done by them as long as they get good results. They learned that it is okay to "cheat" since the graded assignment is not closely monitored by the teachers. They learned that their parents will always be there to help them resolve difficulties without them having to think of a solution themselves. They learned that just submitting their work is more important than the learning process.

They are losing out on the opportunity to gain new knowledge, to grow from failures, to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills, to be proud of the effort they put into the completion of the work, to realise they can do more than what they think and to taste a more satisfying success.

There is a difference between helping and supporting. We can support and guide them so that they become critical thinkers and problem solvers by asking them questions to think for themselves. If we just spoon feed them with answers, we may potentially develop individuals who are always waiting for things to happen and are easily defeated by difficulties and challenges.

Just some personal thoughts and opinion.

misswong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby TAT » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Dear Miss Wong:

Our agency is looking for new tutors to represent.

(Although we mainly work with trained tutors, we also represent untrained tutors.) The most important requisite is you MUST be good, preferably with proven record.

You'll be pleased to know that our commission is lower than what other agencies charge. :)

If you're a GOOD trained teacher, we are looking for you. Please sign up at our website, or contact us here via pm for more contact details. (We do not reveal our teachers on our website, so you're assured of confidentiality...only the admin can see your details). Our website is at www.teachersastutors.com.sg

We reiterate that we only work with good, committed tutors, who are confident of producing results.

Thanks!

TAT
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Tuition & Enrichment