RG Channel - Discussion

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that provides training on multiple subjects.

RG Channel - Discussion

Postby Cute Cat Mum » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Hello, Anyone has any comment or experience On the above tuition centres? Intend to enrol my boy with their P5 EL, Math n Sci programs but wander which is better?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Cute Cat Mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: RG Channel and Mindstretcher (Katong)

Postby shaber » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:32 am

I have recently enquired about the Eng prog with RG Channel and must say it looks quite impressive. Their teachers look experienced too. Not sure about their Math and Sci prog though. My daughter is also in P5 and taking Science at Mind Stretcher Katong, which will move over to 112 Katong in mid Nov. I will let her continue next year with MS Science since I am rather happy with the worksheets and the teacher she has is also quite dedicated. Most importantly, I feel the preparation and continuation leading up to P6 is progressive.
I have decided to sign her up with MS Writer's Tool Box in P6. Had wanted to look at their Eng prog but DD is more keen to do writing although she is already pretty good in this area.

shaber
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Super Alice » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Just nice saw this thread. I am also comparing both centre to enrol for my P3 son next year.

Hope that more parents can update the program of both centres.

Super Alice
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bleeze » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:30 am

My children were in both RG Channel and Mindstr (Katong and Tampines).

I strongly recommend P3 Mindstr Science at Katong branch. The tutor is very responsible and dedicated. Ds did not need to revise Sc during exam (this year SA1, CA2 and SA2) as he could remember what was taught during his lesson every wk at Mindstr. The tutor's lessons were so interesting and powerful that Ds could remember vivdly what was taught.

However, Dd was not so lucky with P5 Mindstr Science (Katong) and she said tutor's explanation not clear and she couldn't learn much and thus we switched to Mindstr Science (Serangoon) whereby the tutor could explan vivdly. I would say Mindstr materials are very good and it depends on the tutor you get.

Dd was with RG Channel previously from P1 to P3 (both Eng and Sc) and Ds with RG only in P1. I would say RG Channel Eng only emphasized on creative writing and not much vocab and grammar. Ds didn't enjoy and requested to quit. My point of view is that Minstr Sc materials are better than RG but only based on both P3 Sc notes I had. Not sure about P4 to P6 RG Sc notes.

Dd was with P4 Mindstr Math and Sc previously at Tampines Branch. I would say that tutors were very irresponsible. For instance some of the Math questions Dd couldn't understand and I also couldn't understand the method. I taught Dd another method to solve. I approached the tutor and she could not even able to explain to me. She said it was just the way written in the notes. So I withdrew. For Mindstr Eng, the material was gd but the tutor was not gd at Tampines. The tutor was not responsible 'cos when Dd asked more, she became impatient. When asked her how she could help Dd to improve Eng, she said she couldn't help and the only method was to read more story books. Yes, I agreed but there should be some methods and technique to be taught from Tution ctr otherwise why waste time and spent money sending her to Mindstr whereas I could just spend money buying story books??

So overall, it all depends on the tutor you get.

bleeze
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby shaber » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:00 am

Hi Bleeze

My DD is also in p5 katong Sci class at mindstretcher. Is she on the sat mid afternoon class ? Do you plan to continue in p6?

It was strange that her teacher left in late Sept and a new teacher came. DD did ok this SA, I can see an improvement.

I totally agree that teacher makes the difference and not much which centre is better. Now that their head office has taken over the management of their Katong branch, hopefully they will look at getting more qualified and dedicated teachers.

shaber
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby bleeze » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:08 pm

shaber wrote:Hi Bleeze

My DD is also in p5 katong Sci class at mindstretcher. Is she on the sat mid afternoon class ? Do you plan to continue in p6?

It was strange that her teacher left in late Sept and a new teacher came. DD did ok this SA, I can see an improvement.

I totally agree that teacher makes the difference and not much which centre is better. Now that their head office has taken over the management of their Katong branch, hopefully they will look at getting more qualified and dedicated teachers.

Yes. My DD was mid afternoon class at Katong previously but left June to Mindstr at Serangoon. I didn't know the teacher had left in Sept. So my DD may know your DD... :smile: DD will continue next yr at Serangoon Branch. She likes the teacher's teaching there. Ds will be continued at P4 Katong br. His teacher at Katong br is very dedicated. Sad to say she doesn't teach P6 next year.

bleeze
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Super Alice » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks for all your feedback. The Katong branch is shifting to the new Katong location. Can I check whther anyone of your kid in the high achiever class for any subject? Does the tutor give any homework for the kid to do at home?

Think I will make a trip to Bishan main branch to take a look before deciding which centre to go.

Super Alice
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bleeze » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 am

Super Alice wrote:Thanks for all your feedback. The Katong branch is shifting to the new Katong location. Can I check whther anyone of your kid in the high achiever class for any subject? Does the tutor give any homework for the kid to do at home?

Think I will make a trip to Bishan main branch to take a look before deciding which centre to go.

Ds is doing well in the sc exam and can attend the higher achiever class, however, we didn't choose the higher achiever class 'cos MS tutor told us that there is no different in terms of the materials and exercises. Only very slight information will be provided in the notes which are not relevant to exam. Anyway, it is the tutor that makes the different.
Also, the tutor does give homework for the kid.

bleeze
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Super Alice » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Went to the Katong Branch. Think the higher achiever need to take entry test. And the normal class has no vacancies. So I send DS to RG channel for English.

Super Alice
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jukids » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 am

Anyone knows of the Mindstretcher in Toa Payoh? Thinking of sending my girl to P2 Maths and English at the Toa Payoh branch.

Anyone heard about The Study Place at City Square Mall?

jukids
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Multi-Disciplinary