Mindstretcher - Discussion

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that provides training on multiple subjects.
Mindful
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Mindstretcher - Discussion

Post by Mindful » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:28 pm

My child is in P5 HA Writer's toolbox and English class during weekend at Bishan. My other friend's child also under the same teacher but he is taking P6 class WT on Sat. My child is able to follow the class well as she is a conscientious person and will also take the initiative to do her own revision after the lessons/concepts being taught to her. Indeed, one must consider multiple factors as to what work best for our children.
All the best in your search for a suitable one for your child!

raisintan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by raisintan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:32 pm

laughingcat wrote:At P4, one must start the term lesson early. Because at MS, their term starts in Dec and by somewhere at term4 of P3, they have already covered some of P4 works. For those who missed the P3 at MS, MS still do P4 works as a form of revision as well.

MS finished the P4 science somewhere at Jun/Jul timeframe and then practice test and revision test all the way till SA2.

In general, the notes and test papers are good. Covers alot for MCQ and OE. OE key-words are well taught to my DC. My DC enjoys it and benefitted from it. So much so, that I was literally hands-off for my DC science at P3 and P4; partly is because my DC is the type who likes science and very much independent learner.

My DC has science homework everyweek. Homework are handed up for marking. If the child OE answers are not correct, the teacher will go through it with explanation and get the children to copy down the answers with key-words. If there is no homework, then something is wrong. Because throughout the years, there are homework except for instance at P4, when my DC is with this particular teacher which my DC doesn't like.

The teachers at MS are basically doing part time as a tutor after school. My DC's science teacher is as such and my DC was so disappointed whenever I said I want to stop the MS science tuition.

BUT BUT....as in all schools and tuition centres or tutors alike, the teacher plays an important part in the teaching. Some teacher is good and some not so. My DC's teacher at P3 is very GOOD. At P4, we have a change of teacher due to timing issue, DC's teacher is not good, always get the children to copy the OE answer. My DC doesn't like it and complained to me and hence I switched back to his original teacher who taught DC at P3. At P5, we stick to this same teacher. However at P6 (which is now), the science teacher which we follows no longer teaches science and we feedback to the centre seriously. Now we have found another science teacher who is equally good and he is firm. This was feedback from my DC, as he likes teacher who is firm and explained firmly and clearly. My DC is the type who doesn't like to copy. So as a parent, you need to understand your child's learning style and feedback to the admin for recommendation.

Try to have a nice conversation with the admin, if you create a genuine rapport and shared with them your concerns, they will give you some nice recommendation or feedback. But before you do that, you need to know your child's style of learning-with-the types-of-teacher.

FYI, an NIE-trained teacher who teaches many years is not necessarily a good teacher. For me, a teacher must be genuinely wants to help and loves to teach. Hope you have the luck to find one.
Thank you for the very detailed feedback! Appreciate it. I sent u a PM

I read in past postings that kids just spend time doing worksheets in class. Not sure if that was in the past or due to branch/ teacher specific

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:21

Post by laughingcat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:02 pm

My DC said that when there is new topics, the teacher will go through with notes. Depending on the topics, there will be hands-on experiment. After the children gotten the grasp of the topics, they will go through the worksheets. If completed in the class, they have to hand up for marking. The teacher will go through and explained the answer. After the class, they will be given worksheets for homework. I always look forward to the homework. That is the time where I can see how my DC answer the questions on his own. It is not about branch specific. The teachers move around from branches to branches. Meaning a specific teacher can teach in x branch and y branch.

You should be looking for specific teacher.

I do not believe in copying answer. Like that how the child gets to learn. Might as well just refer to the answer sheets of the assessment books.

For Science OE, the child must attempt the questions on their own and then correct the child on the science answering techniques the correct answer. This is important for cross-checking. That is my opinion. Answering to the key answering techniques are so important at P5 and P6.

Mano
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Mano » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Mindful wrote:My child is in P5 HA Writer's toolbox and English class during weekend at Bishan. My other friend's child also under the same teacher but he is taking P6 class WT on Sat. My child is able to follow the class well as she is a conscientious person and will also take the initiative to do her own revision after the lessons/concepts being taught to her. Indeed, one must consider multiple factors as to what work best for our children.
All the best in your search for a suitable one for your child!
Thanks for your reply, Mindful.
I believe every teacher will have their own methods of teaching and reasonings and the only way to find out more is to speak to them. As a consumer, we are free to choose whichever centre suits our situation or beliefs but I glad to hear some good feedback from your experience and from some other past postings.
I pm u for some other questions. Thank you.

deardear07
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:36

Post by deardear07 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:42 pm

Subject wise, is there any that MS is good at?

My child has been in their math lessons but looking to add on subjects like English/ science but wondering if should consider other centres or stick to 1 centre for familiarity n convenience?

I went for British council open house and have good impression of their English structure.. just pricey.

There r like many options for science and chinese too.. n haven’t heard much about MS through word of mouth so wonder abt their notes etc..

I just came to know that sometimes high achiever classes also do just about similar papers to achiever classes.. so r the HA papers more iq or just challenging questions?

deardear07
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:36

Post by deardear07 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Does anyone have experience with their HA classes?

schen
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by schen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Anyone has feedback on MS Sembawang & Woodlands? More specifically their science classes. Any specific Teacher recommended? Thanks!

jj_1808
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jj_1808 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:26 am

Anyone can recommend me which teacher is good in teaching creative writing @Bishan/Toa Payoh branch

Lillysu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Lillysu » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:18 pm

I want to buy P4 HA Maths, English and Science . Please let me know if anyone have those .

steffi88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by steffi88 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:08 am

Any feedback about Mindstretcher at Seletar Mall? Any recommendation on the Science tutor there?