Comparing Tuition Centres

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that provides training on multiple subjects.
chanpree
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Comparing Tuition Centres

Post by chanpree » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Hi parents, when choosing a session with the popular tuition how do you find out which teachers are really good. After a few bad experiences, i understand that as much as the brand of the tuition center, the teacher also matters. Need your input.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:327

Post by ChiefKiasu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:43 pm

chanpree wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:15 pm
Hi parents, when choosing a session with the popular tuition how do you find out which teachers are really good. After a few bad experiences, i understand that as much as the brand of the tuition center, the teacher also matters. Need your input.
The problem is tuition is very inter-personal. What might work for others may not work for your child. Time may also be an issue. How did you gauge the effectiveness of your earlier tutors? If it is based on your child's results, you might want to analyze your child him/herself. I know it is difficult to accept it, but you may need to try several different tutors before sticking with the best one.

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by senseimichael » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:10 pm

chanpree wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:15 pm
I am both a parent and a tuition centre principal, so I think I can answer from both angles.

My eldest son was coached by me in English. He benefited tremendously. My second son and my buddy's son were coached in the same class by me. My buddy's son (whose English was actually weaker than my son's) benefited tremendously, but not my second son. And I used the same materials for all three!

From observation of both my teachers and myself, the ability to somehow reach across on the same wavelength to the child matters tremendously in results. Some children are just similar in wavelength, and they benefited greatly from the same teacher, the same teacher with the same materials could still benefit another kid whose learning style and character similarities differ from the teacher's, but the benefit is really much, much less obvious. if at all.

I have learnt one thing - let the kid sit on a trial lesson if you are able to. Listen to the kid if he says that he does not feel as comfortable with that teacher, so you do not waste your money. Be wary though, of the kid who somehow cannot feel comfortable with many, many teachers. You might have a malingerer on your hands, trying to weasel out of tuition. You would then benefit more from sending him to those motivation courses first.

Michael,
Principal, Frankel Tutors

jliu76746
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by jliu76746 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:29 pm

I prefer a tuition center that offers a trial period before signing up. My kids' experience and first impression matters to me in choosing a tuition center for them. I don't want to push them on a center that they think wouldn't help them. Good thing I've got some friends from different tuition centers that could offer a trial period for my children.

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by senseimichael » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:58 pm

This fellow educator agrees wholeheartedly with Jann!

Lovelivelife
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Lovelivelife » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:34 pm

Don't know if this is the right forum to ask this but I am looking for the learning.lab p1 and.p2 materials for math and English since I heard their material is good. Will teach.my.child.myself using the same. Thanks

Chin99
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Chin99 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:11 am

Hi, I am looking for the learning lab p4 Science and English Materials for own kid use. kindly PM me. Thanks!