Comparing Tuition Centres

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that provides training on multiple subjects.
senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Re: Comparing Tuition Centres

Post by senseimichael » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:23 pm

vlogin wrote:
Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:36 pm
Any idea about frankel tutors around kembangan area?
I wish to enrol my child for secondary tuition subjects, but not sure which tutors are good?
I know this is like a looooong time ago, but I would love to get some feedback as well from parents (and I am VERY open to the feedback!).

Disclaimer: from my signature, you can tell I am an interested party! But yes, I *am* a kiasu parent of 4 kids myself, ranging in age from one in the Army to a K1 girl.

Gya_Putri
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Gya_Putri » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 am

Anyone tried tutor matching service before? Can share experience of using such service?

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by senseimichael » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:38 am

Gya_Putri wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 am
Anyone tried tutor matching service before? Can share experience of using such service?
I used them when I did private one-to-one tuition in the past. They were good at a certain fee quote, back in 2004 when I was quoting $40 an hour (as an ex-MOE teacher). The last two years (2018-2019), when my fee quotes have become $80 an hour, they were quite useless, as all my students come via referrals.

I cannot really give any viewpoints from the parent's POV, as I tutor my own children. But based on my experience as a tutor with them, they are more for parents looking for "budget" tutors and they serve that segment well.

Hammie299
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Hammie299 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:45 pm

I have tried tuition centers, tutor matching services before and will say sometimes it can be a mixed bag. I did try before Stalford learning and Mavis before, but end up realizing my son is not exactly suitable for group tuition as he just gets too distracted, and required attention which a tutor in a tuition center may not be able to give. So decided to give tutor matching services but think is more of luck (or lack of) that I end up with private home tutors that did not really work out. My son's grades did not improve and ends up jumping from the low to mid 70s for his science.

One way is to really check out recommendations or forums like this (thanks kiasuparents!) to really see what others say about tutors. I engaged a science tutor from this forum for my son and was pretty happy that it somewhat worked out (though i would say it was after so many tutors at different places for like near 2 years?) at the right time as I only managed to engage this tutor like earlier this year. Anyway he is going for PSLE soon, and at least i am confident he should be able to manage to do ok for PSLE (hopefully!) *hint *hint see my attached pic haha

All in all, i conclude it is a mix of knowing what sort of learning environment works for your kid (whether he learns better in a group or individual environment) and also to find a committed tutor. However, I have to admit at least for me, an element of luck, and extensive research is still needed to find the right tutor!

ps: if you want to know my tutor, you can pm me directly.

Gya_Putri
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Gya_Putri » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:48 am

senseimichael wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:38 am
Gya_Putri wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 am
I used them when I did private one-to-one tuition in the past. They were good at a certain fee quote, back in 2004 when I was quoting $40 an hour (as an ex-MOE teacher). The last two years (2018-2019), when my fee quotes have become $80 an hour, they were quite useless, as all my students come via referrals.

I cannot really give any viewpoints from the parent's POV, as I tutor my own children. But based on my experience as a tutor with them, they are more for parents looking for "budget" tutors and they serve that segment well.
does those tutor matching services give tutors a way to pitch themself? so you can describe your qualifications to parents? or it's just based on the fee preference?

Gya_Putri
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Gya_Putri » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 am

Hammie299 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:45 pm
I have tried tuition centers, tutor matching services before and will say sometimes it can be a mixed bag. I did try before Stalford learning and Mavis before, but end up realizing my son is not exactly suitable for group tuition as he just gets too distracted, and required attention which a tutor in a tuition center may not be able to give. So decided to give tutor matching services but think is more of luck (or lack of) that I end up with private home tutors that did not really work out. My son's grades did not improve and ends up jumping from the low to mid 70s for his science.

One way is to really check out recommendations or forums like this (thanks kiasuparents!) to really see what others say about tutors. I engaged a science tutor from this forum for my son and was pretty happy that it somewhat worked out (though i would say it was after so many tutors at different places for like near 2 years?) at the right time as I only managed to engage this tutor like earlier this year. Anyway he is going for PSLE soon, and at least i am confident he should be able to manage to do ok for PSLE (hopefully!) *hint *hint see my attached pic haha

All in all, i conclude it is a mix of knowing what sort of learning environment works for your kid (whether he learns better in a group or individual environment) and also to find a committed tutor. However, I have to admit at least for me, an element of luck, and extensive research is still needed to find the right tutor!

what's the tutor matching services that you tried? if you dont mind to share

Hammie299
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Hammie299 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:08 am

Gya_Putri wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 am
Hammie299 wrote:

what's the tutor matching services that you tried? if you dont mind to share
I tried elitetutors and singaporehometutors before, though my current tutor for my kid i did not find it from there but rather this forum.

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by senseimichael » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Gya_Putri wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:48 am
does those tutor matching services give tutors a way to pitch themself? so you can describe your qualifications to parents? or it's just based on the fee preference?
Basically they have all my info, whether I was ex-MOE teacher, etc. I don't think they have a pitch per se. I think they probably match databases (which includes fee) and that's it.

ShareShareLah
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by ShareShareLah » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:55 pm

Maltida wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:20 am
I will like to give review to a tuition centre lil but mighty tuition centre. I do a lot of research for English tuition centre and finally came across this centre.
Who knows I am so disappointed with the centre or should I say the teacher. The teacher taught my son wrongly and he got mistake for his school work I got to know when I go through with him and he show me what the teacher in the centre had taught then I realise. so disappointed and the fee is not cheap
:moneyflies:

I am thinking of enrolling my daughter in this centre too, but my cousin whose son is in this centre thinks that the standard of the teachers are not as good as it seems. He complained that the teachers' attitude are not so good.

faithgurl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by faithgurl » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Hammie299 wrote:

Hi,

Care to share your tutor's contact? I have sent a pm to you. Thanks!