Tony Buzan Learning Centre - Community Thread

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that provides training on multiple subjects.

Tony Buzan

Postby Judy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:56 pm

Hey all KiasuParents out there.... :D

Heard of Tony Buzan (Hope i have got the spelling right - they have a branch at Hougang Plaza)...

Anyone can provide any feedback/comment on this "new kid on the block"? :P

Judy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Tony Buzan

Postby wet » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:51 pm

Judy wrote:Hey all KiasuParents out there.... :D

Heard of Tony Buzan (Hope i have got the spelling right - they have a branch at Hougang Plaza)...

Anyone can provide any feedback/comment on this "new kid on the block"? :P

Wah... deja vu... my wife kept talking about Tony Buzan since early November. You guys probably have some kind of underground network distributing such info between ladies only.

Anyway... there's lots of info on Tony Buzan... even a Wikipedia entry which indicated that while Buzan may not categorically claim that he invented Mind Maps, he is certainly the first person who successful marketed the term commercially. He even has his own website, and a mindmap that introduces himself:

Here's the link to Buzan Centres around the world, and here's the one for asia. The Tony Buzan Centre in Singapore has a website too.

Personally, I have been using mindmaps myself all the time since I got the FreeMind software (which is free) some years back. No formal training, but it is really just techniques for note taking. Mind mapping software allow you to work from either direction, from high level to details, or from details upwards to the vision, and I think this is where its real strength is - to allow you to learn to see the "Big Picture" by understanding how to categorize and organize everything else underneath it. This is certainly a necessary trait for managers in general, so I suppose if it takes formal training to achieve this aim, it might be worthwhile to pay to just learn this technique. It is one of those things that is easy to learn but hard to master... which means that it is pointless, IMO, to spend lots of money going into advanced courses on its techniques. Just go for the basics first, see how you like it, use it for a while before you even think about going further.
Last edited by wet on Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wet
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Tony Buzan

Postby Judy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:53 pm

Engwhatt, so what does your wife think of TB? Is she going to enrol?

Judy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Tony Buzan

Postby wet » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:21 pm

Judy wrote:Engwhatt, so what does your wife think of TB? Is she going to enrol?

I may try out my son with the creative writing camp during his March '08 holidays for $200. If I see results, then maybe we will go for the Power Learning Camp in June '08.

wet
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby super_dad » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:46 pm

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Tony Buzan

Postby Judy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:42 pm

super_dad, thanks!

I will take a look at this website when i have time and share with my thoughts.

Cheers. :wink:

Judy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby dragonball » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:58 am

I only heard of Tony Buzan while reading some pamphlets from SIM regarding some talks that he is giving in Singapore in September, but boy, are the expensive. Mostly for executives and adults. That get me interested and I flip some books written by him, but mostly for adults. I never knew that him methods can be used for children.

dragonball
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:17 pm

dragonball wrote:I only heard of Tony Buzan while reading some pamphlets from SIM regarding some talks that he is giving in Singapore in September, but boy, are the expensive. Mostly for executives and adults. That get me interested and I flip some books written by him, but mostly for adults. I never knew that him methods can be used for children.

Tony Buzan lectures for professional adults, and you are right, his lectures are expensive. What you have at the Buzan centres are courses built by others based on his teachings and targeted at kids.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby dragonball » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:27 am

Since those courses are devised and adapted by others, how can we tell if they are effective for kids as well? Any statistics on this?

dragonball
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby super_dad » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:59 pm

dragonball wrote:Since those courses are devised and adapted by others, how can we tell if they are effective for kids as well? Any statistics on this?

I can never plot my mind. It is a spagetti of cross wired colorful thots in motion. :lol:

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Multi-Disciplinary