MagiKats Maths and English - Discussion

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that provides training on multiple subjects.

MagiKats Maths and English - Discussion

Postby adafew » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Heard about this new centre from UK? Centre at Bukit Timah area...Look interesting, check out their website...

http://www.magikats.com.sg

adafew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: MagiKats Maths and English

Postby kiznicolenigel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:27 am

Hi, I send my son there as well for both Maths and English.
Theirs is a totally different approach -Workshop based- Learning concepts and then application.

Check out pictures on their fan page at [url][/url]www.facebook.com/MagiKatsSG

kiznicolenigel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby adafew » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:12 am

Interesting ! When u said workshop based. What exactly do you mean?

Called the centre and was told learning through activities, material aids, but also core works like Kumon style? Also individual learning so kids learn at their own pace? So if kid is fast learner then he/she will be given advance work while slow learner will focus on building solid foundation ?

adafew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kiznicolenigel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:58 am

Hi, My son attends 2 Hours workshop sessions for each subject on a Saturday.
Within these 2 hours, it's broken up into 3 segments. First segment is learning concepts through self -discovery with the various aids that they have to teach concepts. For Eg, when it was on Fractions, to teach the concepts, (from what my son shared with me), they gave him a board and made him place /2 and /4 and /8 /16 , to get him to understand how fractions demoninations of different forms makes up a whole or a part. eg: 1/2 = 4/8 =16/32. And from these experiences and all the various colours and hands on. He understood almost immediately.
The 2nd part is about application of what he has learnt through worksheets (as you say: Kumon) where they work on topical worksheets that are time based and makes them focus during this quiet time. There is an assistant Teacher or Mentor as they call them on hand to guide them if help is needed. My son is focused during this time to deliver and complete all the worksheets.
The last segment of the 40mins ranges from all sorts of activities from their "wrap-ups" on quick mental maths to working on more topical exercises (to keep pace with school exercies).
My son is really motivated as he attempts his best to reach his goals for the "I am a Star" challenge as he receives a reward to redeem items from their store comprising from food to stationeries to books. I personally like their positive motivating tool..and the child has something to look forward to.
As for me as a parent, the teacher (Or Mentor) as they call them, would input their feedbacks and observations into a feedback sheet so I am clear on my son's progress weekly.
By the way, if your child is more advanced, they will also prepare their child to harness the child's ability to develop more.
Basically, my son looks forward to going there every single week. I dont have this stress to "Push" him and "fight" with him as with other programs which I have signed him up for...
So guess, he'll be there for a while...
So you have called them...great...work it through with them it's a structured program that is tailored for the child from 3years old (I saw little ones. so cute) to upper secondary school.

kiznicolenigel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kiznicolenigel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi,

Check this out! This is self explanatory!!

kiznicolenigel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby adafew » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Wow, looks really motivating ! Even I feel like joining ! Why they address teachers as mentors ?

adafew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby adafew » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:46 pm

R they enrichment or tuition centre

adafew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kiznicolenigel » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi Hi,

Been so busy had not logged in for a while. Yes. I would say they are pretty good.

Well, I would classify its a combination as both.
For the enrichment bit, they tailor to the child's need, so if the child can move further on ahead of his level, they will encourage and tailor the session to fit his needs.

For instance, now it's nearing the CA/SA time, they would also have a section within the 2hours workshop to help the students work through CA papers with a detailed explanation to the son after he has completed the paper. This way, there is good relevance and alignment with the school program and yet he has fun and learn ahead of his peers (As he is indeed advanced).
I like it because it's a great balance...
My son likes it because he has fun and yet he is well in pace with what the school is covering as well.

Oh and of course if the child has "worked diligently" during his workshop sessions, he gets rewarded with his stamps and Stars and points and he will redeem food and story books at MagiKats Store...
They really do know how to make the children happy and keep coming back for more!! haha..

Let me know how else to help!

kiznicolenigel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kiznicolenigel » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:59 pm

oops...just saw your query on "Mentors"...

They position their teachers as Mentors- a person that is there to build a holistic child versus just focusing on academic as a teacher is viewed at...

Well, kind of bridges the teacher -student relationship to one with a Friend- Educator-Student relationship that the child feels comfortable to reach out to on a weekly basis....

Cheers!

kiznicolenigel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Concern Father » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:13 pm

I was referred by our neighbour who sends their son there who is a slower learner and I have seen his progress when I engage in conversation with the boy over a few weeks. I was so amazed at where he is now and then... so I found out from his mother on how MagiKats has helped him.
He's been with them since they opened (Oh they are pretty new here in Singapore at Sime Darby centre - could explain their dedications...possibly).
But they have been around since 1984 with establishments in UK, ANZ, Middle East.... So guess they have built their own credibility..

I got the # and called them and sent my daughter- P2 for an evaluation. I can't remember the phrase they used.
So they have placed her- said she needs help on her Maths on areas of fractions, mental and understanding on working out the process to get the answers..
So okie, fees were very reasonable. So signed her up...

Anyway, their student ratio is very small (max 6)- and that helps for my daughter, and depending on the workshop timings that you select you could really be in for a good deal... :smile:

Mine is almost 3 on 1 (though sometimes a student on make-up workshop will join in)...good that they provide make up workshops in replacement of the orignial scheduled workshop...but regardless, it seems every child is occupied with learning at all times.

It really helps for my child...she's happy and looks forward to going for her session and that makes it good for us....(less stress for us....)
kids arent easy nowadays..you cant push them to do things they dont want...
and being the only child....sometimes..the only child syndrome kicks in...

Well, with this well-being bit that MagiKats says they incorporate into their program...could have helped her adjust better within a group.

Concern Father
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Multi-Disciplinary