Problemsums.com - anyone using? Need advice.

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that specialise in Mathematics.

Problemsums.com - anyone using? Need advice.

Postby BeContented » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi,
DS's school just gave a letter for subscription to this website....basically Maths.
DS is keen....but I think more so cos' can challenge and pit against his classmates and other school students via some games. I kinda browse through, it didn't impress me much....maybe I need to spend more time.

Any parents with kids using this? How do you find it? Does it help the child? My son is already pretty strong in his Maths, wonder should I skip it. Any advice? Would you recommend it? Thanks.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Postby snow123 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:33 pm

my son in P2, he occasionally did log in to problem sum.com, the appealing part to the kids is cos they can log in at 8pm race and answer 15 questions in the shortest time and compete with their school or other schools, and they will see their name listed on the website with their position after the race.

There are many questions in the problem sums.com for their practice, however there is also another site www.lead.com.sg which i think is more interactive with the graphics and sound.
Last edited by snow123 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snow123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:25 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby BeContented » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:51 pm

snow123 wrote:my son in P2, he occasionally did log in to problem sum.com, the appealing part to the kids is cos they can log in at 8pm race and answer 15 questions in the shortest time and compete with their school or other schools, and they will see their name listed on the website with their position after the race.

There are many questions in the problem sums.com for their practice, however there are also another site www.lead.com.sg which i think is more interactive with the graphics and sound.


Hi Snow123,
Thanks for the feedback. I did hear my son yapping over the 8pm race and position too. Sounds more like play-time rather than really getting good value out of the questions inside.
The school is already using the LEAD portal, hence my reservation about yet another online portal. Personally I dun enjoy doing assessment electronically, somehow the paper and print feels better :)

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Postby cimman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:57 pm

cwc wrote: Personally I dun enjoy doing assessment electronically, somehow the paper and print feels better :)


you're a hands on person. :D

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 am
Total Likes: 3


Postby snow123 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:04 pm

yes the 8pm race is probably to get the kids interest to the portal as the kids are generally like to compete against each other, instead of just merely doing problem sums, they sub consiciously 'playing/competing' against each other by doing 15 questions each race. And the more race they participate, the more questions they attempted.

snow123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:25 pm
Total Likes: 1



Postby sydney » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:29 pm

I prefer pen and paper when it comes to doing problem sums. I want to see my DS working!

sydney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:28 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby BeContented » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 am

snow123 wrote:yes the 8pm race is probably to get the kids interest to the portal as the kids are generally like to compete against each other, instead of just merely doing problem sums, they sub consiciously 'playing/competing' against each other by doing 15 questions each race. And the more race they participate, the more questions they attempted.


Hmmm.....probably I'll try to see what kind of questions are being given today at the 8pm race. If it's simple questions, to me it'll be a waste of time & money. Shall see. Thanks.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Postby BeContented » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:33 am

cimman wrote:
cwc wrote: Personally I dun enjoy doing assessment electronically, somehow the paper and print feels better :)


you're a hands on person. :D


YAP :wink:
So electronic book does not excite me at all.......but games will...ha ha.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Re: Problemsums.com - anyone using? Need advice.

Postby blur_green » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Sigh, i emailed problemsum.com, they say subscription is only available through school. However, my boy school is not involve.

Can anyone advise how to access to the site.

blur_green
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:18 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Problemsums.com - anyone using? Need advice.

Postby whitecorp » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:43 am

You could try this FOC site which I thought looks pretty excellent:

http://www.thesingaporemaths.com/

Hope it helps. Peace.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:38 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Mathematics