Nicklebee Tutors Math Tuition - Discussion

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that specialise in Mathematics.

Nicklebee Tutors Math Tuition - Discussion

Postby cpcsscc » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Original Title: Visible Math vs Nicklebee weekly tuition


Can anyone who have sent their kids to the above 2 centres enlighten me with their experience (both positive/negative)? Currently, both my kids (P5 and P4) have a private tutor for Maths at home, however, I find the tutor is always drilling/pushing to do more test paper/assessment and every week is the same and my kids find it bored and "dry" and can't absorb much during the tuition. Thanks in advance!

cpcsscc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:48 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Visible Math vs Nicklebee weekly tuition

Postby shaz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Can't comment on nicklebee coz hv never attended classes there but both dc is attending classes at visible math. DS is in P3 and only joined this year so think its still too early to comment if he has improved. DD is in P5 and started mid last yr. has seen improvement. Her SA2 results were much better than her SA1. Was expecting a big drop in her ca1 score this yr as expected in P5. although it did drop as compared to last yr but it was not drastic. So pleasantly surprised. Their materials are good. (it has to be coz they are authors of several assessment books) But dd class is quite big. Abt 18-20 students. Wasnt very comfortable with that initially. Not sure if class size is equally big for other tutors.

shaz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Visible Math vs Nicklebee weekly tuition

Postby cpcsscc » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:47 pm

shaz wrote:Can't comment on nicklebee coz hv never attended classes there but both dc is attending classes at visible math. DS is in P3 and only joined this year so think its still too early to comment if he has improved. DD is in P5 and started mid last yr. has seen improvement. Her SA2 results were much better than her SA1. Was expecting a big drop in her ca1 score this yr as expected in P5. although it did drop as compared to last yr but it was not drastic. So pleasantly surprised. Their materials are good. (it has to be coz they are authors of several assessment books) But dd class is quite big. Abt 18-20 students. Wasnt very comfortable with that initially. Not sure if class size is equally big for other tutors.



Hi Shaz
Thanks for sharing your experience. I called up Visible Math and asked about the class size. They told me max. 10 students for both P4 & P5. They told me if my daughter joins she will be the 5th student in the class. 18-20 a class is too big in my opinion, teacher may not give enough attention. My daughter prev attended a tuition centre too, class size was about 15 and I found the teacher can only teach and go thru as a group, not much time for individual questions if your child does not understand.

cpcsscc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:48 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Visible Math vs Nicklebee weekly tuition

Postby shaz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:04 am

Hi cpcsscc,
Visiblemath has 2 branches. The newer one has bigger classrooms from what I know, hence the bigger intake i guess. I would prefer smaller classes too. Hopefully that will be the case when dd is in P6 next yr. Hv been following the threads on PSLE preps and already getting kan cheong though it's another year away :sweat:

shaz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Visible Math vs Nicklebee weekly tuition

Postby the little ones » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:39 pm

cpcsscc wrote:Hi
Can anyone who have sent their kids to the above 2 centres enlighten me with their experience (both positive/negative)? Currently, both my kids (P5 and P4) have a private tutor for Maths at home, however, I find the tutor is always drilling/pushing to do more test paper/assessment and every week is the same and my kids find it bored and "dry" and can't absorb much during the tuition. Thanks in advance!


My daughter has been going to Mr Zhou at NickleBee tutors since last year ever since she did not get good marks for her p4 mid year math exam. I remember she got 72 marks only which was very disappointing.

Mr Zhou is very professional. After the first lesson me, hubby and our daughter sat down with him and he talked about my daughter's weak areas and how he will be helping her. I remember that he went through my daughter's exam paper with us and he pointed out all her bad concepts and horrible working. Mr Zhou also showed all his school and university qualifications to us and when hubby and I saw the stack of certificates we were very impressed!

Each lesson is two hour long and my daughter always complain to me that Mr Zhou push her so hard during the class that it feels like she did three hours worth of work! He is strict but he wont scold my daughter unless her work is not up to his standards. I noticed that each lesson has only three or four students. Mr Zhou did tell us before that if he teaches more students in a class, it will not be as effective.

My daughter got her first A* for this mid year math exam in p5 and me and hubby are over joyed!!! Mr Zhou really is a godsend. He charges 100 dollars for each lesson which is a bit expensive but it is really worth it and very value for our hard earned money! Before going to Mr Zhou, we did visit visible math centre and learning lab centre before for trial lessons. But class sizes in the other centers are too big and price also about the same so hubby did not approve and we choose nicklebee tutors centre instead. We do not regret our decision!

the little ones
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:19 pm
Total Likes: 0



Nicklebee Tutors Math Tuition - Discussion

Postby superkiasudad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi folks,

My son lacks confidence in the subject of Math and simply hates the subject through and through. I am partly to blame for this debacle as I believed that one's competence in Math is to be improved through learning of the different methods followed by sheer hard practice of examination papers and assessment books. Countless hours of screaming matches and frustrated tears later, I am admittedly defeated in my efforts and am seriously considering outsourcing math tutoring for my Pri. 4 son to start after his finals.

I have shortlisted a few centres over the past month thanks to this forum. Visited a couple over the weekend and came away unimpressed.

I called up Nicklebee Tutors and had a chance to talk to Mr Zhou who teaches Math and he owns the outfit. He came across as intelligent and articulate and answered my queries, with regards to my son's math troubles, rather well. I'm seriously considering sending my son to him for tutoring and have made an appointment for the first lesson this Saturday. Am looking for feedback from any here who have attended Mr Zhou's math classes at Nicklebee Tutors.

superkiasudad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:47 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: Nicklebee Tutors Math Tuition - Discussion

Postby the little ones » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:16 pm

hello super kiasu dad.

my daughter in p5 hougang primary. had a lot of problem teaching math to my daughter until we went Mr Zhou math class at Nicklebee tutor.

i wrote a review of Nicklebee tutor a few month ago in this forum so i share here for you to read. you wont regret Mr Zhou math classes. my daughter is now much more confident in math and her school math teacher give positive feedback saying my daughter participates more in class and is less careless.

you can pm me if you want more details.

the little ones wrote:My daughter has been going to Mr Zhou at NickleBee tutors since last year ever since she did not get good marks for her p4 mid year math exam. I remember she got 72 marks only which was very disappointing.

Mr Zhou is very professional. After the first lesson me, hubby and our daughter sat down with him and he talked about my daughter's weak areas and how he will be helping her. I remember that he went through my daughter's exam paper with us and he pointed out all her bad concepts and horrible working. Mr Zhou also showed all his school and university qualifications to us and when hubby and I saw the stack of certificates we were very impressed!

Each lesson is two hour long and my daughter always complain to me that Mr Zhou push her so hard during the class that it feels like she did three hours worth of work! He is strict but he wont scold my daughter unless her work is not up to his standards. I noticed that each lesson has only three or four students. Mr Zhou did tell us before that if he teaches more students in a class, it will not be as effective.

My daughter got her first A* for this mid year math exam in p5 and me and hubby are over joyed!!! Mr Zhou really is a godsend. He charges 100 dollars for each lesson which is a bit expensive but it is really worth it and very value for our hard earned money! Before going to Mr Zhou, we did visit visible math centre and learning lab centre before for trial lessons. But class sizes in the other centers are too big and price also about the same so hubby did not approve and we choose nicklebee tutors centre instead. We do not regret our decision!

the little ones
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Nicklebee Tutors Math Tuition - Discussion

Postby superkiasudad » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Brought my son down to teacher Zhou's Nicklebee Tutors centre at Sin Ming previous saturday and i have to say that it was very productive. He took time off his busy schedule to share his expertise and knowledge with me how my son can improve on his maths.

Teacher Zhou comes across as being very intelligent and articulate. He started off by giving a quick once-over of my son's school math exam and pin-pointed certain areas that my son could improve on such as labeling his calculations and drawing of models. He did spot some bad habits of my son such as speed reading the question and memorising and regurgitating of methods wholesale.

He followed up by speaking to me about my own experiences teaching my son and he then gave a brief outline of what materials he will be using and how he will be conducting my son's tutoring. Teacher Zhou made it a point to inform us his rationale for small class sizes of 4 students. He said that what he provides is personalized one to one tutoring to each students concurrently. However he requires students to interact with him and provide explanations and justifications of their workings on demand. My son wasn't thrilled as he would have preferred hiding in the back row of a large class and not having to participate in his own learning.

One thing stood out and i will share it here. Teacher Zhou kept emphasizing that what my son lacks is a holistic approach to problem solving. My son apparently does not read and understand the question, he just input methods that he feels are are a best fit without really understanding the question. I believe it to be true as it is what i noticed from my son too.

After that teacher Zhou just went through some admin details and also took some time to show us his school and exam certificates and math competition awards. Very impressive but quite unnecessary, as by then, me and my wife knew he was the right choice for our son. My son attended the first lesson after we left and came back looking tired but excited about learning new approaches and methods.

Teacher Zhou comes across as a dedicated professional and i can see why that is so, given that he was trained as a dentist at NUS before he had to quit in his final year due to an injury to his eye. I did tell him that i heard about him from kiasu forum and was going to provide some feedback in said forum. He was quite embarrassed about it and said he's just a math lover who happens to teach math well and he saw no reason to make a fuss about it.

Anyway thank you to kiasu forum for helping me solve my conundrum of my son's math difficulties. Am looking forward to learning more from the good folk here.
Last edited by superkiasudad on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superkiasudad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:47 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: Nicklebee Tutors Math Tuition - Discussion

Postby superkiasudad » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Thank you for sharing "the little ones". Have sent you a message over the local forum messaging service.

superkiasudad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:47 am
Total Likes: 6


Re: Nicklebee Tutors Math Tuition - Discussion

Postby the little ones » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:33 pm

Mr Zhou math class at Nicklebee Tutors appear in last saturday's straits times page 6! whole family read the article. Very happy that we choose such a good tutor!! my daughter also got 2nd in class for math end of year exam!

http://news.asiaone.com/news/education/parents-spend-big-bucks-their-bright-sparks

the little ones
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Mathematics