Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Kumon - Discussion

Discussions on tuition centres/enrichment services that specialise in Mathematics.

Re: Kumon - Discussion

Postby lovinglife » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:00 am

GreenBird and phtthp, thank you for very detailed explanation. I have enrolled my 3.5yo DD into Math programme this early month and she has been promoted to next level. I was just wondering how the teacher gauged her ability.

lovinglife
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5399
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:57 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Kumon - Discussion

Postby sembgal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:35 pm

Just a word of caution to parents who lets the child do 5 pages of homework for each subject daily, meaning Eng, Math, Chinese 3 x 5 pages = 15 pages homework a day.

Real story: This child was drilled from young with Kumon worksheets 15 pages a day. 1 day no time do, next day 30 pages. In addition, top school exam papers. This child no doubt did very well academically but busy parents no time for child, traveling often for work, are their own bosses of a company, neglected the child emotionally. Today, the child has grown up to be a rebellious teenager who use penknife to cut herself from time to time. Before things escalated this far, the parents were warned to loosen on their style of parenting the child to achieve high academic excellence. Today, the teenager has supplementary cards who used them to spent lavishly on items not needed. What the poor teenager need was her parents' time. Sometimes, it might be a good decision for the parents to spend quality time with family. It is sad to know of stories like this. Now the teenager has to see a psychologist to treat her problems.

Another story was the mother pressured the child, a boy, to study, achieve high marks, in the end, the child jumped down from the building and the neighborhood knew what happen.

Another story was a girl who who was expected by her mother to get full marks, do 1 set of test paper per subject every day, study study until the child break down and had to see psychologist.

Every parent want the child to do well, but do not stress the child till the child gave up hope.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 pm
Total Likes: 40


Re: Kumon - Discussion

Postby lovinglife » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks for sharing, sembgal. I am aware of the consequences for pushing too hard on the child.

lovinglife
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5399
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:57 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Kumon - Discussion

Postby sleepy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:25 am

sembgal wrote:Just a word of caution to parents who lets the child do 5 pages of homework for each subject daily, meaning Eng, Math, Chinese 3 x 5 pages = 15 pages homework a day.

Real story: This child was drilled from young with Kumon worksheets 15 pages a day. 1 day no time do, next day 30 pages. In addition, top school exam papers. This child no doubt did very well academically but busy parents no time for child, traveling often for work, are their own bosses of a company, neglected the child emotionally. Today, the child has grown up to be a rebellious teenager who use penknife to cut herself from time to time. Before things escalated this far, the parents were warned to loosen on their style of parenting the child to achieve high academic excellence.


I think the root cause is probably more neglect than due to Kumon worksheets :siam:

Agreed it's overwhelming to do so many worksheets though.
I withdrawn mine at K2. I feel tired too, even though I'm not the one doing the worksheets :sweat:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9768
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38


Re: Kumon - Discussion

Postby lovinglife » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:08 am

sleepy wrote:
I think the root cause is probably more neglect than due to Kumon worksheets :siam:

Agreed it's overwhelming to do so many worksheets though.
I withdrawn mine at K2. I feel tired too, even though I'm not the one doing the worksheets :sweat:


My intention is to withdraw at K2 too. Hopefully she has completed all 4 operators by then. :pray:

lovinglife
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5399
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:57 pm
Total Likes: 2



Re: Kumon - Discussion

Postby sembgal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:20 pm

I have no doubts about the quality of Kumon worksheets but the quantity is questionable.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 pm
Total Likes: 40


Re: Kumon - Discussion

Postby phtthp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:11 pm

sleepy wrote:Agreed it's overwhelming to do so many worksheets though.
I withdrawn mine at K2. I feel tired too, even though I'm not the one doing the worksheets :sweat:

Yes, I also feel tired -
because is twice a week session, for pre-schoolers (N2 - k2).
Is the commitment of traveling up & down twice a week that make you tired, siong !
your kid can't afford to skip doing 1 day homework.
Because if miss 1 day, means the next day -
child has to catch up, do double dosage of homework kumon worksheets (Lagi worse)

Once your child finish the 4 basic operation ( + - x / ) -
Can stop. Kumon weak in problem sums.
can look for another place that teach problem sums portion.

Our moe syllabus (p1 to p6) :-
Problem sums come in.
Quite a number of kids struggle this part, where reading of the question comes in. Some read already, don't understand qn. If encounter this problem, better to look for a tuition centre.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 16582
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:04 pm
Total Likes: 85


Re: Kumon - Discussion

Postby sembgal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Recommend OnSponge Math problem sums. They have classes. Google for them.
http://www.onsponge.com/tuition/tuition-primary-math

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 pm
Total Likes: 40


Re: Kumon - Discussion

Postby sleepy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Mine stop at fraction.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9768
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38


Re: Kumon - Discussion

Postby jetsetter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:15 pm

sembgal wrote:Recommend OnSponge Math problem sums. They have classes. Google for them.
http://www.onsponge.com/tuition/tuition-primary-math



onsponge only for P3 and above yah...this is opened by the former CHS HOD yah?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 13936
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:04 pm
Total Likes: 224


PreviousNext

Return to Mathematics

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres